Trying to be ready for a sprint triathalon by end of July

Options
750M swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.
Currently, I can do each of those three things competently, and separately, so I can bike 12 miles, run the 3.1 and swim the 750 m, just not one right after the other.
Is 14 weeks enough?
And how should I start to add one to the other? Getting in the swimming is really difficult, so maybe I could just try to do the biking, and then add a bit of running, half a mile the first week, that sort of thing, and then keep the swimming seperate?
Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you have the individual distances down, 14 weeks is plenty. You might even be able to use that time to realize some good speed gains.

Most people don't bother "bricking" a swim/bike. There isn't much point and going from swim to bike is never a big deal.

I feel it is important to be able to run well off the bike, so doing transition runs off a bike ride (where you just go run a few minutes, or about a mile) is important. Some people do actual bricks where you do a full ride then a full run. I personally don't see all that much value in doing it, but still getting used to running on tired legs is appropriate.

I would suggest training yourself to be able to run double the distance (10k) and ride for the entire time you expect to be out on the course. In other words if you think it will take you an hour and a half to complete the race, train yourself to be able to ride for an hour and a half. That way you can be sure your aerobic engine is up to the task of working for that amount of time. Then it is a matter of training your body to do the swim and run.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    If you have the individual distances down, 14 weeks is plenty. You might even be able to use that time to realize some good speed gains.

Most people don't bother "bricking" a swim/bike. There isn't much point and going from swim to bike is never a big deal.

I feel it is important to be able to run well off the bike, so doing transition runs off a bike ride (where you just go run a few minutes, or about a mile) is important. Some people do actual bricks where you do a full ride then a full run. I personally don't see all that much value in doing it, but still getting used to running on tired legs is appropriate.

I would suggest training yourself to be able to run double the distance (10k) and ride for the entire time you expect to be out on the course. In other words if you think it will take you an hour and a half to complete the race, train yourself to be able to ride for an hour and a half. That way you can be sure your aerobic engine is up to the task of working for that amount of time. Then it is a matter of training your body to do the swim and run.

This is great advice.

Also - assuming your race is open water - make sure to get some open water training time in. Open water swimming is much much different. If you have some buddies who are willing, it also helps to have them swim along with you and pull/kick/bump you as you swim so you can get used to that as well. I've seen several people DNF because they couldn't handle the anxiety of the open water swim.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes, 14 weeks is enough. if you can do all those things separately, in the same week, you are more than 50% ready for a sprint triathlon. and i have little doubt that it will take you much more than 90 minutes to do the whole thing.

like glevinso said, no need to really do a swim-bike brick. if you want to bike to and from the pool, or maybe where you swim has some spin bikes, you can use one for twenty minutes after your swim to get a feel for what it's like.

running off the bike is important, but remember that you're doing it to understand and know how your legs are going to feel after riding your bike. it sucks, lol. try running for a mile after your next bike workout. you should try and run off the bike maybe every other bike ride.

also, like he said, try to build your cardio machine to go for longer, so you'll have the ability to go for the 90 minutes that it will take you to race.

it's your first triathlon, so it's going to be a big learning experience. you'll figure out what works and what doesn't.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i've never done a tri, but would like to do one. so when you brick a bike/run, are you running in your biking shorts or do you take the time to change out into some running shorts? one of my goals is to do at least 2 half IRONMANS in 2016.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    TriNoob wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »

This is great advice.

Also - assuming your race is open water - make sure to get some open water training time in. Open water swimming is much much different. If you have some buddies who are willing, it also helps to have them swim along with you and pull/kick/bump you as you swim so you can get used to that as well. I've seen several people DNF because they couldn't handle the anxiety of the open water swim.

I also agree with this. I have only done a few triathlons, but this is all good advice. I was like you and could do all three components, but together scared me. I did some brick training and also had someone show me how to do good transitions.

The first triathlon I did was an open water swim, I did all my training in a pool until the weekend before when they gave us time to get in the water and swim the course. If you have that chance, definitely do it. It was good to learn how to sight myself on the swim. Not having the black line on the bottom of the pool was tough :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    i've never done a tri, but would like to do one. so when you brick a bike/run, are you running in your biking shorts or do you take the time to change out into some running shorts? one of my goals is to do at least 2 half IRONMANS in 2016.

If I am just doing a transition run (like 2 miles off a long bike) I will just run in whatever I was wearing. Part of the idea of the transition run is you do it as soon after the bike as possible to simulate race conditions. Spending time changing is going to lessen the effect.

For actual races, or even if I were to plan to do a real brick (with a reasonably long run after the bike) I would wear my tri shorts for that. Tri shorts are kinda like bike shorts but the chamois is much thinner so it isn't as hard to run with it on.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Oh and I am remiss in that I neglected to mention the difference between pool swimming and open-water swimming. So thanks to those who chimed in with that advice as well. Many times the organizers of the tri you are doing can help you locate an open water swim practice (or even run one themselves) ahead of the race.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

if you're serious about triathlon, pick up a pair of triathlon shorts. they're like bike shorts, but the chamois is a little thinner and less obtrusive in the front. they are made to be comfortable to swim, bike, and run in. they're no more expensive than regular bike shorts.

however, i have gone running in my bike shorts.

btw, if your goal is to do two half iron mans, maybe you should try some smaller races first. get a feel for the sport. a 70.3 is no easy task.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    open water swim tip: stay in the back of the pack at the starting line, and to the outside. least amount of people to kick you in the face.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All great advice, thank you!
    It's mid-April in Michigan, so, I'm not trying an open water swims until the end of May!!!
    But doing a bike/run is very do-able (and actually pleasant as it's not hot yet), so maybe I start with that, and then alternate with swimming days.
    And very good advice on making sure I just have the stamina to go for the whole distance, even if it is all practiced on the bike.
    Thank you everyone!