Yes, you should be deadlifting!

Options
I just want to rant about this great exercise for a while. I never used to do a lot of deadlifting, since I chose to exercise my legs in other ways. After I started deadlifting on a regular basis though, most of my knee pain went away, and I found that I could run faster and jump higher. Not to mention that I think it helped accelerate my overall muscle growth.

I wish that I had started doing this much, much sooner.

Replies

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It really is a great staple of any strength training regimen. I just added it recently to my weekly routine. Great stuff.

Its amazing wiht all of this hi-tech, fancy equipment and exercise routines.... good old lifting weights reign supreme after all. :wink:
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Which have you been using, a barbell or dumbbells?
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use Dumb Bells - thats all I have. They work fine and also allow for some different types of deadlifts and different angles.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My favorite are single-leg deadlifts. Maybe because I only have dumbbells as well so it's not challenging using both legs together.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are king! I'm a happy girl on deadlift day!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    They are my favorite too. Leg day is always interesting lol.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts! It's the only exercise where I feel I'm lifting a truly heavy weight!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Right now I'm doing it with dumbbells and using them for other strength exercises as well. I could tell a difference in my overall fitness very quickly and I'm hooked. I can't wait to get stronger and move up to a bar and more weights B) I'm so happy I kept getting told to lift now instead of waiting until I lost more weight.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is why it bugs me when uninformed people (or worse, gyms) say that you shouldn't deadlift. It's a great way to prevent injuries, and it's one of the most effective and highly functional exercises out there.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    This is why it bugs me when uninformed people (or worse, gyms) say that you shouldn't deadlift. It's a great way to prevent injuries, and it's one of the most effective and highly functional exercises out there.

To be fair it is very easy to do incorrectly, which is a quick path to injury.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Why does this even have to be said? A good form deadlift does more good for the body than any other exercise, period. Full body effort, testosterone boost, and metabolically challenging (multiple sets/reps and heavy weight). Easter, Christmas and your birthday all wrapped up in one.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    keep in mind DL's aren't just for legs...they work almost every muscle from your neck to your ankles...when done properly.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Is 'incorrectly' really just rounding your back, or are there other ways to hurt yourself with dl?
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    keep in mind DL's aren't just for legs...they work almost every muscle from your neck to your ankles...when done properly.

yes because I am IN on ankle gains
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Is 'incorrectly' really just rounding your back, or are there other ways to hurt yourself with dl?

Not keeping your abdominals "braced".

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I was loosing grip on a DL and did something to a muscle near my shoulder blade.
    Got cocky and tried to pull more than I should have
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes!
    53365414.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ilikelamps wrote: »

If you saw my bony scrawny ankles, you would wish for ankle gains *LOL* Poor scrawny ankles :neutral:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Something I find great when deadlifting is to prop the weights up on the lifters for the step bench until you are at 135 lbs. That way you don't have to change your technique much once you put on the 45lbs plates. They are so much higher off the ground it makes a huge difference.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    Ilikelamps wrote: »

If you saw my bony scrawny ankles, you would wish for ankle gains *LOL* Poor scrawny ankles :neutral:

Mine too. They like to roll and bend in ways they're not meant to.