Coconut Oil for Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• sorbus33rowan
    sorbus33rowan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think some studies have shown that it can raise cholesterol- although you might want to find them yourself as I've only seen the conclusions. For this reason I save coconut oil for only the occasional baking (I use it instead of butter because in my opinion anything is better than dairy).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Gross. :sick:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Nope. Calorie deficit equals weight loss. Calorie surplus equals weight gain. The coconut oil has nothing to do with weight loss
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For this reason I save coconut oil for only the occasional baking (I use it instead of butter because in my opinion anything is better than dairy).
    Do you substitute gram-for-gram? A neighbor gave me a jar and I'm not sure how to use it.
  • aliceandria
    aliceandria Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coconut oil in my coffee. (Primal coffee? Except without the butter..) It makes it frothy and creamy. Plus, when I blend it, I only need a teaspoon of sugar.

I don't know if this is what OP does, but you actually have to blend it, not stir. It ends up looking like a cappuccino. =)
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

I've read a lot about coconut oil as a an aide for weight loss. I know it's got a lot of fat (the good kind as well) and a lot of calories. So is it worth it to add it to your diet? I've been eating a tablespoon in the morning, and I feel like I have a lot of energy, but I am wondering if it's simply a placebo effect. Anyone have good results from it?
    my understanding is that it helps your diet effort, it helps with abdominal fat, which is metabolically different than fat elsewhere on the body. You could research it from that angle? I do use it daily, in my stir-fry meals (it has high-heat stability), at the rate of about 1T per day.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    1. Fats increase satiety, so increasing your fat intake can help you eat less overall, because you feel more satisfied.

+1

• randomtai
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

I've read a lot about coconut oil as a an aide for weight loss. I know it's got a lot of fat (the good kind as well) and a lot of calories. So is it worth it to add it to your diet? I've been eating a tablespoon in the morning, and I feel like I have a lot of energy, but I am wondering if it's simply a placebo effect. Anyone have good results from it?
    my understanding is that it helps your diet effort, it helps with abdominal fat, which is metabolically different than fat elsewhere on the body. You could research it from that angle? I do use it daily, in my stir-fry meals (it has high-heat stability), at the rate of about 1T per day.

No... just no. :noway:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

Your understanding is dead wrong...

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    popping my popcorn now.....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Seriously now? Do you truly believe that pseudo-science?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hello, everyone!

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Seriously now? Do you truly believe that pseudo-science?

Because the Internet is never wrong
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

c0q76rvm4hb9.gif
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is GREAT in the bedroom, That burns calories, So YES it can help weight loss. and ALL WITHOUT GOOGLE!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Coconut oil is GREAT in the bedroom, That burns calories, So YES it can help weight loss. and ALL WITHOUT GOOGLE!!

Causation does not equal correlation
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

There is refined coconut oil, with the taste/odor removed. That's what you would use instead of the EV coconut oil with all that flavor in it.

• zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

c0q76rvm4hb9.gif

I pop popcorn in coconut oil. nom nom nom
  • sorbus33rowan
    sorbus33rowan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    For this reason I save coconut oil for only the occasional baking (I use it instead of butter because in my opinion anything is better than dairy).
    Do you substitute gram-for-gram? A neighbor gave me a jar and I'm not sure how to use it.
    Yeah I have before, although you could probably add less if you wanted to be healthier- when baking I dont like to compromise
  • randomtai
    Options

Why would you need oil in the bedroom? :huh: