Diet Coke- how bad is it?

Options

Replies

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I see sodium thrown out all the time regarding soda, and it really doesn't have a lot of sodium. I mean I am on 1300 calories a day and my daily sodium default is 2300mg. I don't think 70mg of sodium is really doing anything. And the Diet Coke I am drinking has only 40mg.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It isn't effecting your weight loss unless it causes you to binge on other sweets.

Do note that Diet Coke is NOT zero calories. Yes, the calories are negligible, but they are not 0 calories. Only water is zero calories.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ugh its gross.

drink coke zero.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is much better tasting than anything Pepsi. :drinker:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Diet soda has no calories. I lost all my weight drinking diet soda. If you not losing then you are not in a deficit. Do you weigh your solid foods?? Measure liquids??
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every day, as well as cake and other sweets with regularity. I'm still losing weight because I just budget them into my day's calories. No particular food/drink, diet coke included, can be blamed for anything weight loss related if your calories are where they should be.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lots of people swear by diet drinks, but I know that I couldn't do it. Although the diet soda itself doesn't cause weight gain I think that it leads to other negative behaviors that do cause weight gains. I know personally that I was more likely to over-indulge in sweet stuff after drinking diet drinks. I am not sure why, but I know that several studies have confirmed that I'm not the only one with this affliction. Additionally, I know that I wasn't getting enough water when I was drinking caffeinated beverages. I dropped my habit and had several positive effects almost immediately (slept better, felt better, and could better moderate sweets not to mention my teeth whitened up). It took about a week, but it was worth it to me.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I quit my diet pop habit a couple of years ago and for me, I think the problem was that the sweet flavor made me want to eat something with it. Kind of like a trigger? If a diet pop is a small part of your day...like a mid-day pick me up, it probably isn't a concern. But if you're drinking it in lieu of water, I'd try to wean myself down off the pop. Water is pure hydration.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    ugh its gross.

drink coke zero.

QFT

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    steffydill wrote: »
    Just read articles on aspartame in diet drinks and how damaging it is, there is also data to show diet drinks actually cause weight gain but even aside from that if you just see how damaging aspartame is you will kick your habit ASAP xxx

An article? Like in Woman's Day or something? Cause scientific studies show that Aspartame is safe. You know, the facts and stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    I see sodium thrown out all the time regarding soda, and it really doesn't have a lot of sodium. I mean I am on 1300 calories a day and my daily sodium default is 2300mg. I don't think 70mg of sodium is really doing anything. And the Diet Coke I am drinking has only 40mg.

I was curious about what the equivalent of that was in salt, so checked. Apparently a pinch of salt has 400 mg sodium. So we are talking here about the equivalent of one-tenth of a pinch of salt.

Yeah, the sodium argument doesn't really work.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    steffydill wrote: »
    Just read articles on aspartame in diet drinks and how damaging it is, there is also data to show diet drinks actually cause weight gain but even aside from that if you just see how damaging aspartame is you will kick your habit ASAP xxx

An article? Like in Woman's Day or something? Cause scientific studies show that Aspartame is safe. You know, the facts and stuff.

but that blog was so compelling!

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke will not directly affect your weight loss although some believe it stimulates your appetite and also distorts your sense of taste because it is so sweet. For weight loss it all comes down to calories consumed and calories burned.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    threnjen wrote: »

I was curious about what the equivalent of that was in salt, so checked. Apparently a pinch of salt has 400 mg sodium. So we are talking here about the equivalent of one-tenth of a pinch of salt.

Yeah, the sodium argument doesn't really work.

Somewhere in one of these multitudes of diet soda threads I saw it posted that Diet Coke has about the equivalent amount of sodium as tap water does.

I just compare it to my little one-shot can of V8 on my desk that has 450mg of sodium in a 163ml serving. Now THAT is a lot of sodium.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Well, Diet Coke is nasty, so...

Really, as long as the artificial sweeteners don't cause any health problems for you or trigger a binge, then consume them, as everything, in moderation. I have a diet soda every evening.

Cosigned

Now, diet Pepsi? Much better.

• LiftCore
    LiftCore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In terms of calories obviously it won't do anything negative. Some people tend to report that sugar-free drinks actually INCREASE appetite, which obviously you don't want. There is also some evidence to suggest that it may interfere with insulin sensitivity but I'm not sure how reliable the information is.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, but Coke Zero is better.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've really been liking Cherry Coke Zero since trying it at the movies a couple of weeks ago.