peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Besides tasting like dirty socks? Ick. For weight loss, 0 cals = 0 problem

You are a connoisseur of dirty socks?
  • jetsman32
    jetsman32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes- turn off your Fitbit on MFP right away! MFP already takes your daily caloric deficit into account based on your pre-set activity level. Right now your FitBit is telling you you can eat above your caloric goals and is totally sabotaging you! Also- I love diet coke and drink 3 per day- it hasn't stopped me from losing over 30lbs so far!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    IDK, it tastes kinda sour to me. Do you like Crystal Light or anything like that, if you're looking to switch?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

Yes I am. Problem?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet coke/pepsi. How good is it? It tickles the tongue and is refreshing, hydrating. Really hits the spot on a hot day.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Yes I am. Problem?

Depends; you using a scale? Logging?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Yes I am. Problem?

Not as long as you're honest with your logging. :)
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    threnjen wrote: »
    I see sodium thrown out all the time regarding soda, and it really doesn't have a lot of sodium. I mean I am on 1300 calories a day and my daily sodium default is 2300mg. I don't think 70mg of sodium is really doing anything. And the Diet Coke I am drinking has only 40mg.

I was curious about what the equivalent of that was in salt, so checked. Apparently a pinch of salt has 400 mg sodium. So we are talking here about the equivalent of one-tenth of a pinch of salt.

Yeah, the sodium argument doesn't really work.

Somewhere in one of these multitudes of diet soda threads I saw it posted that Diet Coke has about the equivalent amount of sodium as tap water does.

I just compare it to my little one-shot can of V8 on my desk that has 450mg of sodium in a 163ml serving. Now THAT is a lot of sodium.

Exactly... I just don't know where this idea has come from that soda has a lot of sodium. It has an extremely negligible amount.

A serving of celery, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli or sweet potatoes has more sodium than a Diet Coke.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    I see sodium thrown out all the time regarding soda, and it really doesn't have a lot of sodium. I mean I am on 1300 calories a day and my daily sodium default is 2300mg. I don't think 70mg of sodium is really doing anything. And the Diet Coke I am drinking has only 40mg.

I was curious about what the equivalent of that was in salt, so checked. Apparently a pinch of salt has 400 mg sodium. So we are talking here about the equivalent of one-tenth of a pinch of salt.

Yeah, the sodium argument doesn't really work.

Somewhere in one of these multitudes of diet soda threads I saw it posted that Diet Coke has about the equivalent amount of sodium as tap water does.

I just compare it to my little one-shot can of V8 on my desk that has 450mg of sodium in a 163ml serving. Now THAT is a lot of sodium.

Exactly... I just don't know where this idea has come from that soda has a lot of sodium. It has an extremely negligible amount.

A serving of celery, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli or sweet potatoes has more sodium than a Diet Coke.

My theory is that it is the only number of the label that jumps out at people, since everything else is just "0." This makes some people think it is actually more than it is.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    jetsman32 wrote: »
    Yes- turn off your Fitbit on MFP right away! MFP already takes your daily caloric deficit into account based on your pre-set activity level. Right now your FitBit is telling you you can eat above your caloric goals and is totally sabotaging you! Also- I love diet coke and drink 3 per day- it hasn't stopped me from losing over 30lbs so far!

I hope you're joking.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Although diet sodas have no calories... the artificial sweeteners have an adverse affect on your body... specifically insulin production. Here is a link to read more about how diet sodas can affect your weight loss progress as well as your overall health. Ultimately, you are an adult and can make your own choices... it's just good to be informed when making those choices.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

Here is an excerpt from the article...

It confuses your body
    Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    moseler wrote: »
    Although diet sodas have no calories... the artificial sweeteners have an adverse affect on your body... specifically insulin production. Here is a link to read more about how diet sodas can affect your weight loss progress as well as your overall health. Ultimately, you are an adult and can make your own choices... it's just good to be informed when making those choices.

It confuses your body
    Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.

I eat artificial sweetener every day.

You know what? Almonds taste sweet to me, let alone fruit. My taste buds work just fine.

As for your source and what they're saying about insulin? Laughable. Nothing I wouldn't expect from an author of a book with that title, though.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    anordskog wrote: »
    I do get confused with my calorie counts. They differ by 100-300 from my fitbit and MFP. With fitbit giving me the lesser. They are both set up with the same.

Any ideas? Should I turn my calorie dashboard off on my fitbit?

No, but do you have the two synced? If you do that Fitbit should send an adjustment to MFP based on your activity each day.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox.

Never happened to me.

With claims like this, I advise looking at experience to see if it rings true. Do you have trouble appreciating the sweetness in fruit? Then yes, maybe you need a palate correction and maybe one of your issues is too much super sweet stuff. But for me eating sweet stuff never made me unable to appreciate the sweetness in fruits or even veggies, never made me unable to appreciate savory or even bitter and sour flavors, and didn't even make me like foods I think should not be sweet sweetened (even when I was drinking the most diet soda I ever did I thought it was weird to sweeten coffee and tea or to add more sweetness than fruit to oatmeal).

So sorry, Ms. Alpert, I guess I don't need a "detox."
    Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.

This is nonsensical, because insulin is not bad--becoming insulin resistant would be, but I am not insulin resistant, and its irritating that advice so often seems to assume that we all are. Also, you don't increase your overall amount of fat unless you are in a calorie surplus. Sure, you might be adding and using it constantly, but to the extent this suggests that you can gain fat by eating sugar (or even fake sugar) while in a deficit, it's misleading. Intentionally so, I assume.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Or what mamapeach said! ;-)
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eat artificial sweeteners all the time. Sugar is still very sweet to me.

Still losing weight. I get no more cravings then I ever have.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Or what mamapeach said! ;-)

Back atcha! Honestly, that whole insulin argument makes my eyes roll out of my head.

Protein spikes insulin, for goodness sake. Let's not even start on what insulin response really means vs. the whole "fat storage mode" nonsense.

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

It confuses your body

Shhh-Hungover-GIF.gif
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    There are mouse studies showing a correlation between ingesting artificial sweeteners and development of insulin resistance (mechanism is alteration in the gut bacteria) but as far as I know, there are no human studies so hopefully further research will clarify that and also provide some information about how much and what kind of artificial sweetener over what period of time will lead to that effect.

So make your own informed choices.