How much porridge should I have to fill me up?

Options
iv been eating the ready brek porridge sachets 30g but they don't fill me up for very long, so I am going to get the bag of oats but not sure how much to use. What do you think?

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Follow the serving size on the package. If it doesn't fill you up, eat 1.5, 2, or however many servings you need to feel full. Log the calories for the amount you eat and log the rest of your day accordingly.
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the slow cooker, 1 cup of oats makes enough for about 4-5 servings. I make it ahead and then warm it in the microwave, heats up just fine!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    iv been eating the ready brek porridge sachets 30g but they don't fill me up for very long, so I am going to get the bag of oats but not sure how much to use. What do you think?

However much fits your calories and macros for the day.

I love porridge - especially with peanut butter and chocolate drops stirred in, but it's not something I can eat to keep me full. Cereal or Greek yoghurt with granola are much better at keeping me going!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    49.717257g.

And a half.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    100 grams for breakfast will keep me full for a good few hours!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends mostly on the toppings for me, but those 30g packets just don't cut it either.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In the US, the pretty much standard serving for oatmeal (UK porridge) is 1/2 cup dry (40g).
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Lady_jane_ wrote: »
    I make mine in the slow cooker, 1 cup of oats makes enough for about 4-5 servings. I make it ahead and then warm it in the microwave, heats up just fine!

So you are advising him to eat 4 or 5 servings?
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

You can eat 4-5 times off one cup of oats?! That's not a whole lot of food.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use around 25g dry weight plus 150ml semi-skimmed milk. Keeps me going til late morning most days. If you want to 'bulk it out' a bit (as I do sometimes if I'm running that day) I add a scoopful of vanilla protein powder.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Until your porridge-to-blood ratio is no greater than 50%.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My preferred oatmeal is 44 grams/serving. I'm fine with that serving (sometimes eat a bit less), but wouldn't find it especially filling either if I ate it alone, because it doesn't have enough protein or fat. Whenever I have oatmeal (most weekends), I combine it with protein powder and berries and then have some veggies and something else on the side--usually nuts or smoked salmon or cottage cheese.

I like big breakfasts, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In the US, the pretty much standard serving for oatmeal (UK porridge) is 1/2 cup dry (40g).

Mine is 1/4 cup dry and 44 grams.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Porridge is oatmeal? OK, I usually eat 70g-80g of oatmeal along with 20g of raisins. Mix in some water, put it in the microwave, then add Splenda and 1/2 cup skim milk. That will keep me satisfied for 1-2 hours, give or take.
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

So you are advising him to eat 4 or 5 servings?

What do you think the answer to that question is? I told her how much I make at a time. She can eat as much as she wants.

agal129 wrote: »

You can eat 4-5 times off one cup of oats?! That's not a whole lot of food.

It's a portion of my breakfast, it's not all I eat. Steel cut oats go a long way.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    50 g. And to keep full longer, before serving add whole milk, walnuts, and plenty of butter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have any. It doesn't fill me up. At all. I prefer a higher protein and fat breakfast to loads of carbs
  • nicnz
    nicnz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just discovered cooking half (or whole if you like) banana - (best frozen imo) with the porridge (half water+milk) creates something very very delicious. Topped off with greek style or unsweetened yoghurt and nuts for some protein... yum :) For me 1/3 cup does the trick with these additions.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

ALOT!!

Breakfast cereals/oats don't fill me up at all unless i eat like 5 servings with milk. For me it's just not worth the calories :cry:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd think if it doesn't fill you up you'd want to eat something else that does - not just more of the same thing. Or add some protein and fats to it....