How much porridge should I have to fill me up?

Options
2»

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat 40g of oatmeal 6 days a week for breakfast but its never by itself, always some kind of fruit or nut combo mixed in for an added boost. If I ate it alone I would not make it till lunchtime.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning. 40g oats cooked in the microwave and then I add 20g chocolate protein powder, 12g PB2, 25g-40g banana and 1/4 cup milk. I eat at 7:00am and I'm usually full right up to about 11-11:30
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I cant believe i used o have one of those sachets. I now eat 60g and could eat double that plus whatever I add in.
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup of old fashioned Quaker oats made with water, with 1 tbsp peanut butter, 4-5 walnut halves, and 1/2 tsp of chia seeds. I have eaten this meal (along with a cup of coffee) for almost every breakfast for the last 5 years. I eat around 6:30 am and am full until lunchtime around 11:30.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    For steel cut oats, 1/4 cup is a serving. I used to make 1 cup at a time and portion it out to 4 containers. I added pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and frozen raspberries (half a serving of each) and put them all in the fridge to take out for breakfast before going to work. Just heated them up in the microwave at work. Kept me full until lunch :)
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I add egg white to my oatmeal (porridge). It doesn't add that many calories but the protein helps fill me up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    9 gallons
  • trevor615
    trevor615 Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The bowl on the left had too much. The bowl on the right didn't have enough. But the bowl in the middle had just the right amount of porridge to fill me up.

But it was too hot...go figure!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    shellyb17 wrote: »
    I have 1/2 cup of old fashioned Quaker oats made with water, with 1 tbsp peanut butter, 4-5 walnut halves, and 1/2 tsp of chia seeds. I have eaten this meal (along with a cup of coffee) for almost every breakfast for the last 5 years. I eat around 6:30 am and am full until lunchtime around 11:30.

This is what I do as well I make sure I add in protein/fats with my morning Oatmeal (or whatever meal I eat it at). Oatmeal by itself is high in carbs which sometimes only sustain for a short time. I add in 1T. Trader Joe's Sunflower Nut Butter and some flax seed and whatever else I'm in the mood for. Chia seeds, a couple of walnuts etc.

I'm also fine until later morning/lunch.
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    For steel cut oats, 1/4 cup is a serving. I used to make 1 cup at a time and portion it out to 4 containers. I added pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and frozen raspberries (half a serving of each) and put them all in the fridge to take out for breakfast before going to work. Just heated them up in the microwave at work. Kept me full until lunch :)

I should get back to Groats they are more satiating and less processed. I've made them in the Crockpot and added apples, raisins, Cinnamon and whatever else I don't recall at the moment.

I would think Quick Oats vs. Old Fashioned vs. Steel Cut are going to differ in how much they fill you up. The less ground up and processed they are the more it seems they would satisfy.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I add egg white to my oatmeal (porridge). It doesn't add that many calories but the protein helps fill me up.

I've always wanted to drop a runny egg in mine! One day I will.. be great for protein :) Not a raw egg but cooked runny. :) A dash of cinnamon is also a nice added touch.
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    iv been eating the ready brek porridge sachets 30g but they don't fill me up for very long, so I am going to get the bag of oats but not sure how much to use. What do you think?

ALOT!!

Breakfast cereals/oats don't fill me up at all unless i eat like 5 servings with milk. For me it's just not worth the calories :cry:

Agree. I was completely amazed when I started actually measuring and logging calories, and saw what a "serving" really was. My bowls were loaded, and that's what I thought was normal :/

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »
    Lady_jane_ wrote: »
    I make mine in the slow cooker, 1 cup of oats makes enough for about 4-5 servings. I make it ahead and then warm it in the microwave, heats up just fine!

You can eat 4-5 times off one cup of oats?! That's not a whole lot of food.

1 cup raw steel cut oats is four cups cooked. I do this same thing and eat it over four days.