Does anyone else secretly weigh their food?

Options
I use a scale to weigh my food portions but do it in secret because I don't want the rest of my skinny family to know I'm on a diet.

I'm trying to lose a few kilos on doctor's advice but family doesn't agree I need to.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. My parents know I do it, and they'll leave packaging out so I can see how much I need to weigh out.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    No, DH knows about me being on MFP and weighing my food. I do put the scale away when other people come over. :wink:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope. Even my daughter writes down weights and measurements when she cooks me something.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hehe, no, but then my family is supportive. I know the feeling of having to hide things from disapproving family members.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Keeping secrets takes too much effort, so I avoid it. I'm keeping track of enough!
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Nope. Secretive behaviors and disordered eating go hand in hand. I am 100% out of the closet.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nope- I keep it on the kitchen counter. It does drive my fiancee crazy though when she's cooking and I'm like wait! I need to weigh that first! haha
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    at first i kept it a secret or would not weigh stuff if people were in the room because of food anxiety but that was related to my disordered eating habits and i worried about people judging me/what i ate. but now i do it and nobody says anything. it's so much easier to cook & do recipes being able to measure out exact portions and not messy up so many measuring cups.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My scale sits on my kitchen counter. I weight out my portions and ingredients. No shame in it.
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I not only openly weigh everything, at the table, every meal, but have been successful to the point that I now have 3 other family members doing it as well. They haven't quite joined me at weighing food out at restaurants, but that's their loss. It's my body, my "diet", my success story. Screw the judgement of anyone else, especially strangers.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I live alone and mostly only weigh food at home. But it's not like it's some state secret or anything. It's right there out on the counter. And if I lived with other people, I'd do exactly the same thing.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    My scale sits on my kitchen counter. I weight out my portions and ingredients. No shame in it.
    Yep, although I do still feel awkward actually weighing food when my parents are around in the kitchen.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why would i hide it?

i do it and my teenage girls make fun of me.

whatever. im a grown *kitten* woman. i dont need approval from them LOL
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'll get little comments like "You're weighing your cookies?" and sarcastic "How much can you eat?". As long as they aren't asking for some of my food, they can say whatever they want. :wink:
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nope, my husband and I both weigh our food. Though I always want to punch him when he changes to ounces from grams... I feel like that is a different problem.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I have that same urge to hide it. I'm a little bit weird about talking about my weight and weight loss at any rate. As though somehow not talking about it means that people don't see that I am fat or that I've lost a ton of weight. When I actually think about it, weighing is something to be proud of because it means we are taking our health seriously, going about changes intelligently and with dedication.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I eat. I work but my hubby is retired. for supper he weighs out everything for me and will leave cans/packages on the counter for new foods not already in my diary and ask me how much I want weighed out
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Nope. Everyone who knows me, knows that I'm very accurate with my food intake. And that goes for cutting or bulking phases so just because you are weighing food doesn't necessarily mean you are trying to lose weight.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    Nope. Everyone who knows me, knows that I'm very accurate with my food intake. And that goes for cutting or bulking phases so just because you are weighing food doesn't necessarily mean you are trying to lose weight.

Everybody I know has quit hassling me long ago.
    I think they like me better bulking though.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food at work (I prelog if having anything, and it can be a bit tiring fielding comments on loss/habits), and am open about weighing everything at home and at my parents' place. My dad lost a good amount of weight measuring for accuracy, so it's nice to have a scale there when we visit.