Gaining weight but doing everything right?

Options
1235»

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    And can we ask where the OP is getting her calorie information from to write on that paper? Who decided the calories of blueberry pie, six meatballs, and a chicken sandwich?
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Poster, if you accurately logged in your journal everything, then take some time and load it on here. Or, start loading everything you eat here on MPF. It not only does calories but it tells you fat, carb and protein, as well as sodium and other things. I doubt you do that on your own.

I think you are scared to see a computer program take what you are eating and tell you the truth of what you are eating. And log all exercises in your diary. Leave it open and you will get some hones input here. You may not hear what you like, but you might hear things that will help you face the reality of what you are probably doing which is eating too much and not burning enough. CICO.

It really is that simple.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP you are eating too much, and you are logging inaccurately. Plain and simple.

If you were losing weight guesstimating your portion sizes/weight as you are doing now, then there wouldn't be an issue and you wouldn't have to weigh your food.
    But as it stands, you are not losing weight, for obvious reasons, so you have no other choice but to weigh your food.

And by the way, you are the ONLY one who keeps bring up mental health issues.... :huh:
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want to have a computer program keep track of all of this and put it in statistical format and in pie charts? It measures against your goals. You can so easily spot where you are missing your goals. I just don't get choosing pencil and paper when you have this MFP at your disposal that you are already using for the forum????????? It just does not make sense except you don't want to really see what the results are from what you are eating. And I understand that. It sucked for me at first, but I quickly saw that there it was in black and white and it was really hard to dispute the results IF IF IF I was accurately logging EVERYTHING.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Maybe reason #11 applies to the OP and she should take it up with her Doctor. Otherwise chances are that one of the other 10 reasons will apply: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Okay so I'm just going to tell it like it is. There is no such thing as being allergic to gluten. I think people that say they have this don't realize that what they have is actually a mild wheat allergy, if they are truly having problems with anything. You either have Celiac Disease, which is an autoimmune disease, or you don't. It's not like you can just have a slight version of celiac disease you either have it or you don't. Gluten is a sticky protein and when people with celiac disease consume it it triggers an autoimmune reaction in their body. People with it can get serious damage to their villi in their intestine. If you feel like you may truly have Celiac Disease you need to ask your doctor for a blood test to see. If you feel like maybe you are having a slight reaction when consuming wheat products you should go and get allergy testing done. Also please don't say that you are allergic to gluten and then eat it in front of others because it causes a real problem for people where it is medical necessary for them stick to a gluten free diet.

Anyways rant over
    -Are you weighing your food?
    -Consuming enough water?
    -Logging everything?

yeah not true at all. I have an allergist documented allergy to gluten, as well as wheat, barley and oat. If I eat these (or food I eat has come in contact with them) my throat swells shut and I could die. I do not have celiacs, I have an actual allergy. People can be allergic to anything, some are just more common than others.

Please don't spread false information. It can be dangerous.

Okay this is my last time responding on this thread. No just no. This is not true. You may have a severe wheat allergy but there have been NO documented cases of a gluten allergy! Most definitely no record of anyone going into anaphylactic shock from the consumption of gluten. This is a complete lie. That is all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It is so much easier logging your food here, it figures everything out for you, plus you get the bonus of knowing your daily macros.
    Writing everything down on paper is much more difficult and inaccurate, and it also gives you the chance to write whatever you want, and apply whichever values you may feel like putting in at the time :wink:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I've already said my first bit earlier.

But also, I am not going to assume that you have weighed and accurately logged. If that is the case, it may be time for a diet break as you have lost a fair amount of weight already. Your metabolism will slow down when you are eating under TDEE. Larger deficits and longer time periods will slow the metabolism more.

I'd up your calories to just under theoretical TDEE (BW in lbs x13 ish) for 2 weeks and then move back into a deficit after.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Stop judging people that are being judgmental. It's hard work.

LOL.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27943-1378779076-34.gif

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Also, you are well under your required protein. I have no idea how you aren't starving all day long.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Okay so I'm just going to tell it like it is. There is no such thing as being allergic to gluten. I think people that say they have this don't realize that what they have is actually a mild wheat allergy, if they are truly having problems with anything. You either have Celiac Disease, which is an autoimmune disease, or you don't. It's not like you can just have a slight version of celiac disease you either have it or you don't. Gluten is a sticky protein and when people with celiac disease consume it it triggers an autoimmune reaction in their body. People with it can get serious damage to their villi in their intestine. If you feel like you may truly have Celiac Disease you need to ask your doctor for a blood test to see. If you feel like maybe you are having a slight reaction when consuming wheat products you should go and get allergy testing done. Also please don't say that you are allergic to gluten and then eat it in front of others because it causes a real problem for people where it is medical necessary for them stick to a gluten free diet.

Anyways rant over
    -Are you weighing your food?
    -Consuming enough water?
    -Logging everything?

yeah not true at all. I have an allergist documented allergy to gluten, as well as wheat, barley and oat. If I eat these (or food I eat has come in contact with them) my throat swells shut and I could die. I do not have celiacs, I have an actual allergy. People can be allergic to anything, some are just more common than others.

Please don't spread false information. It can be dangerous.

Okay this is my last time responding on this thread. No just no. This is not true. You may have a severe wheat allergy but there have been NO documented cases of a gluten allergy! Most definitely no record of anyone going into anaphylactic shock from the consumption of gluten. This is a complete lie. That is all.

So you are telling me that you know better than my allergist? No, sorry just no. You have access to everyone's medical records?

Gluten is a protein. You can absolutely be allergic to specific proteins.

You are wrong, and your claims are getting ridiculous, as well as dangerous.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    healthydebate.ca/2014/07/topic/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity

Recent studies seem to suggest that it's nocebo effect more than anything else.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    healthydebate.ca/2014/07/topic/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity

Recent studies seem to suggest that it's nocebo effect more than anything else.

Mine is actually documented via blood work and skin tests. Then again, I am not claiming it makes me bloated or unable lose weight. It causes me to have an anaphylactic reaction that has landed me intubated, on a ventilator many times.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far. Many people find they have to up their accuracy to lose the last 5 or 10#. Personally, I've had to re-tune what I do to maintain every 7-10 years. Age. I got a scale only a year ago, and it has saved so much time in the kitchen, saved effort estimating, and upped my accuracy. Wish I had done it sooner. It's also really helpful to see nutrient breakdown, and the online tools are a huge timesaver there vs. paper. DH uses livestrong. Daughter uses MFP. My favorite is nutritiondata, but it tracks one day (no history). Whatever you choose, it will save you time and give you better insight to how your body is responding. Also gotta say, 2 lb in a couple weeks could be all about TOM. If the scale weight is important to you, weigh naked every day upon waking. Record the weight. Then average the last 7 days weights for a 7-day trend. Longer trends are smoother. If the trend goes gown, good on ya. If it goes up, adjust something. Good luck!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.