Protein Shakes and Weight Gain

Options
Can I drink a protein shake if not working out? Will it make me gain weight?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're eating too much, sure, weight gain.

If you're still in a deficit with it, no weight gain.
  • jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fit_Belle wrote: »

I don't think so unless you are overeating. Some are higher in sodium, so they may cause water retention if sodium levels are too high.
  • Fit_Belle
    Fit_Belle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you're eating too much, sure, weight gain.

If you're still in a deficit with it, no weight gain.

Ok good!
  • Fit_Belle
    Fit_Belle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jessicadb2 wrote: »

I don't think so unless you are overeating. Some are higher in sodium, so they may cause water retention if sodium levels are too high.

41g per scoop.. and well I am on 1,200 calorie so no overeating at all. Thanks!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Maybe yes maybe no. You should read as much as you can about weight loss and weight gain.
  • Hempshake1
    Options
    I am eating a hemp protein shake each day and I am not trying to gain muscle mass right now. After doing extensive analysis I am going to grab some whey protein as well and mix it and the hemp together as they compliment each other nicely. There are 9 essential amino acids and there are a couple that whey have more than hemp. Hemp seems to have the overall advantage though, unless the goal is immediate amino acid replenish after a heavy workout, then Whey would be the preferred choice due to the speed of absorption and leucine
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options

You can drink a protein shake just as much as you can eat a steak. The question is .. .. 'why?'
    It has calories just like anything else ..
    You'll gain weight if you're in a caloric surplus, or lose it if you're in a caloric deficit.
    Working out is irrelevant. It all depends on your goals and macros.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hempshake1 wrote: »
    I am eating a hemp protein shake each day and I am not trying to gain muscle mass right now. After doing extensive analysis I am going to grab some whey protein as well and mix it and the hemp together as they compliment each other nicely. There are 9 essential amino acids and there are a couple that whey have more than hemp. Hemp seems to have the overall advantage though, unless the goal is immediate amino acid replenish after a heavy workout, then Whey would be the preferred choice due to the speed of absorption and leucine

That sounds like a sales pitch...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hempshake1 wrote: »

Sorry but your whole statement is so flawed. You're saying that Hemp has an advantage except for the if yourself for immediate amino acid replenisjment but that's false. First, you're not drinking protein shakes for immediately replenishment. You're drinking it to get protein in which is all about the amino acids and it doesn't have to be at a specific time. Hemp ranks very poor when it comes to amino acids and especially the important ones. Also, protein alone isn't going to make you gain musle, it takes hard work. Hemp is in no way better than Whey

Oh noes, he got you :)