Advice on losing the last five pounds?

Options
I have always been active and in shape. Im 5'7, 19 yrs old and weigh 135 lbs. I would really like to be at 130 so losing those last 5 lbs are tough. I work out 5-6 days a week. Cardio/hiit/ running or cycling and light weights 30min to an hour, plus walking about an hour everyday. I eat around 1200 calories then excersize burns off a couple hundred of that. Any tips for losing those last five pounds? Am I eating too little?

Replies

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, weigh 160lbs, and am almost 30 years older than you. I'm losing 2 lbs a week and eating about 1500 cals daily. I carefully weigh my food in grams. My calorie burns (I wear a JawboneUP tracker) are from walking, some biking and have just restarted weight lifting. Yes I think your cals are too low. You are not eating BMR (the amount of calories used by your body if you lie in bed all day). So you are stressing yourself with undereating. Take some measurements and input your data into MFP Goals to find a number to start working with. Hope this helps!
  • DanielleBeserra
    DanielleBeserra Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat frequently during the day I find it hard to eat more. I log each thing I eat so that's how I know I'm eating around 1200 calories a day. I eat lots of veggies and protine not so many carbs. @MrM27 I do light weight training lots of body weight hiit
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have always been active and in shape. Im 5'7, 19 yrs old and weigh 135 lbs. I would really like to be at 130 so losing those last 5 lbs are tough. I work out 5-6 days a week. Cardio/hiit/ running or cycling and light weights 30min to an hour, plus walking about an hour everyday. I eat around 1200 calories then excersize burns off a couple hundred of that. Any tips for losing those last five pounds? Am I eating too little?

Are "light weights" 5lbs weights you do arm movements with to "tone"? You're prob taking in more than 1200 and not doing enough strenuous activity to burn it. Go heavy on the weights. Go compound on the workouts.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I eat frequently during the day I find it hard to eat more. I log each thing I eat so that's how I know I'm eating around 1200 calories a day. I eat lots of veggies and protine not so many carbs. @MrM27 I do light weight training lots of body weight hiit

But do you weigh everything you log with a food scale?
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

Are "light weights" 5lbs weights you do arm movements with to "tone"? You're prob taking in more than 1200 and not doing enough strenuous activity to burn it. Go heavy on the weights. Go compound on the workouts.

Couldn't have said it better.

Get your macros right (ie, around .75 protein per pound, 20% fat, and the rest carbs), and take away around 200/300 calories from the total .. do heavy compound weights, eat whenever/wherever/whatever you want, as long as it fits your macros, and you'll lose weight.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Make sure your stats on MFP are correct. Log your food and exercise accurately and be patient. When you don't have much to lose it can be a struggle, and some of the threads I've read on MFP indicate that for people who are trying to lose a small amount, trying to lose it a small amount at a time (.25 lbs/week) is the most successful route for loss that you can maintain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At 5'7, 5lb on the scale is neither here nor there ...it's easily water weight ...you know that people have a weight range and not a fixed weight point and their weight fluctuates

But yes you should follow a progressive heavy lifting programme based on compound lifts ...light weights are pointless
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Eat more maybe , Im 57 162 pounds I lost the last 5 pounds by eating 2000 cal a day and exercising 1 hr a day 6 days a week I did 3 x weights days and 3x HIIT/tabata/ running days a week and really push hard get out of your comfort zone
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Do you weigh your food first before logging, include calorie dense foods like nuts, avocado, cheese, oil, cream and get your calories up...1200 is ridiculously low
  • nancyjay__
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lina011 wrote: »
    Eat more maybe , Im 57 162 pounds I lost the last 5 pounds by eating 2000 cal a day and exercising 1 hr a day 6 days a week I did 3 x weights days and 3x HIIT/tabata/ running days a week and really push hard get out of your comfort zone

Wait........what
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Wait........what

She means slow it down I think ...a 5'7 active female with a few pounds to lose shouldn't be eating 1200
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    also, weigh yourself every day, and at the end of the week take an average, and use that number to compare your real weight.
    weight can fluctuate from day to day depending on too many variables..
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Wait........what

She means slow it down I think ...a 5'7 active female with a few pounds to lose shouldn't be eating 1200

Oh.
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    OP hmmm like I said before I would try to perfect the art of food weighing watch your seasonings oils dressings etc. And log them appropriately. And spend more time lifting heavy. I seriously cannot stress this enough :s ! LIFT HEAVY THINGS AND GREAT THINGS WILL HAPPEN
  • DanielleBeserra
    DanielleBeserra Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for all your advice. I'll give it a try. I do push myself very hard when working out so perhaps lifting heavier weights will be that last big push I need.
  • RossiAuckloo
    Options
    Work out the calories you need per day and break these down into meals throughout the day.
    Essentially, when you are working out you need to be absolutely pushing your body to the limit, with of course enough rest. Maybe with you training 5/6 times per week hard, you aren't giving your body enough time to recover. Nor the correct nutrition, this may be a factor in restricting the results you want to see.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    Do actual strength training and not the bodyweight hiit.
  • dstein46
    dstein46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats, 5'6" and 138, trying to lose the last 10 though. Its happening alot slower than the first 15 I needed to lose. I eat more like 1400 cals and i have taken the advice of the wonderful members of this forum and began pushing the weight lifting part of my workout and not just the cardio. This will help you burn for fat throughout the day. and REST DAYS i cannot stress enough, they have done wonders for my body and my motivation. Expect the progress to be slow but if you weigh and log your food properly it should come off! Good luck!