Busy Schedules: How do you fit your fitness in?

Replies

• losingrae
    losingrae Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2015
    Can you record some of your study material so that you can listen while you walk? When I was studying for the CPP, they had study group pod-casts that I put on my phone and would listen to when I ran. It beat it into my brain. :) (I didn't read all the suggestions, so sorry if this is doubling up)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Busy for sure. Good job with the walking! Does your building have stairs? If so try doing a couple of flights of stairs before leaving work. Maybe grab some hand weights and carry them up the stairs while skipping every other one, then run down the stairs. Do that a coupe of times. Actually my trainer has me doing that at almost every workout session to get my heart rate up. I have also held said weights over my head. HIIT workouts are great and you can find them on Pintrest. I use them when I am traveling.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    It is a super busy schedule, so you have to decide how important exercise is to you and why you are doing it. If it's just about weight loss, I would tell you to keep doing the walking and focus more on calorie intake. If you are looking at options for improving your health, I would say continue to walk as much as you can (maybe park a little farther away).

As far as studying for 4.5 hours every night, I'm sure you take a few breaks there right? If you take 5 minutes every hour and do push ups, planks, yoga moves, etc, you can get in a solid 25-30 minutes of exercise that will help strengthen your core and also probably make you feel better after sitting for so long.

I like the way you think. Every so often, of course my focus is broken. But usually, I feel so pressured to understand the material in the smallest amount of time possible, I just refuse to stop working until it my distraction passes. That, or I refill my coffee... It would be beneficial, as you say, to push the reset button on my brain and do some strength training. I get so focused, I fail to see the obvious. Squats, push ups, lunges, a couple of reps on my free weights could help me refocus my mind and help me get the exercise in without significantly affecting my studies. Small changes like the ones you just suggested are exactly what I was looking for.
  • las07s
    jgnatca wrote: »
    HIIT or the seven minute exercise routine.
    Parking farther from the entrance.
    Walking/cycling to work and between classes.
    Taking the stairs.
    Walking the dogs.
    Standing desk for study.

I suggest incorporating exercise in to your schedule instead of treating it as a separate activity.

Thank you for the link! The 7 minute exercise routine will help out so much.
  • las07s
    aam117 wrote: »
    Some great ideas from others. Being busy or working an abnormal schedule can certainly make eating healthy and working out challenging. You mention having a family...any chance you can enlist them to assist with chores and dinner after work, even if it's just two days out of the week, in order to squeeze in a workout there? Also, how much longer before you graduate? Fortunately the classes for my masters program didn't require that much study time (although it would have if I was doing anything remotely involving programming!), but this thesis-writing stuff is a bit of a time suck. Hang in there, keep fitting in the walking and other stuff you're already doing, and try to find some time during your busy week to have some "you" time or gym time. :)

I have 3 more classes until I receive my masters in mathematical statistics! Once I am done, I will begin working on my thesis. I suspect that will take another 2-3 years. It is tough for my significant other to assist in the cleaning. His allergies (to everything pollen) are severe. The 1.5 hours after work that I use for chores involves a "de-pollenizing" shower, preparing my laundry for the wash, wiping down the furniture and mopping the floors, ... Even the dogs get a wash down when coming inside so that he doesn't breathe it in. Dinner takes 30 minutes, usually. He helps when spring is over and the fear of asthma-induced death passes :neutral_face: My sister-in-law helps every so often, but not consistently. She is also moving out soon since she is graduating from college.

My "me" time is usually that extra hour I let myself sleep in on the weekend. :smiley: Bliss.
  • las07s
    losingrae wrote: »
    Can you record some of your study material so that you can listen while you walk? When I was studying for the CPP, they had study group pod-casts that I put on my phone and would listen to when I ran. It beat it into my brain. :) (I didn't read all the suggestions, so sorry if this is doubling up)

I would love that! My course material is 80% mathematical derivations. I don't dare hope I will ever read a sentence again that is not split into pieces by some formula or another. :wink: Math. Grr.
  • las07s
    Byrekyla wrote: »
    I work 2 weeks on 1 off in the oilfield. 17-18 hours per day. I basically throw planning out the window and try to maintain during the 2 weeks, and eat well / excercise during my week off. Working that many hours, it's impossible to stay really caught up on the fitness schedule.

That has been my battle hymn for a while now. I just want to amp up my progress. Food is only getting me so far. :smiley:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    las07s wrote: »
    Drive to work: 6:30 am - 7:00 am
    Travel to Campus by Car/Find parking: 9:00 am - 9:20 am
    Travel to Work by Car, Plop Down in Office: 1:52 pm - 2:00 pm
    Drive home: 5:00 pm - 5:45 pm

Can you do any of those with a bike?
  • las07s
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Oooh, someone as busy as me! Hi! I work 9-10 hour days (with every other Friday off) and a 60 minute round trip commute, take six 3 credit classes each year (8 week terms) and am married with one child at home and two fur babies. Your class schedule is exactly why I switched to online schooling two years ago. I was having great difficulty with the timing of the classes and all of the extra time it was taking me to go to and from campus and then working later to compensate.

You're getting in some walking during the day, which is excellent. It's one of the things I started doing a few years ago, too, and it's made a difference. A co-worker and I walk twice each day for about 1/2 mile each walk. I run for my cardio a few days each week and I've also made use of the company gym to do strength training. Depending on the time of year and the weather (I live in Tucson so summer days are really hot) I run every other day or so either when I first wake up (5:30ish) or immediately after I get home from work. On the days I don't run, I hit the gym for an hour of lifting weights. Then I go home, make dinner, do homework and hit the sack around 10:00pm.

Don't underestimate the importance enough sleep has on your ability to lose weight. Do a little research on the topic when you have time. Honestly, I think you'd be better served continuing the walking you are already doing and getting extra sleep rather than trying to find time to do cardio during the week. On the weekends you could fit in weight lifting or whatever cardio you'd like to do.

I know what you mean! They call us "the armpit of the South"! It is so hot, humid, and stale in this city. We are in a bit of a valley with higher ground to all sides, so any wind that blows from the coast (or elsewhere) doesn't really hit us. I find it is dangerous to run outside past May or June.

I looked all over the country for an online Ph.D. program in Statistics, but the closest I got was a Master's program in Texas that wouldn't be funded by my government job.

I am drawing the line at 5 hours, but I think I can maintain 6 hours sleep given the tips I've received here.
  • las07s
    edited March 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Drive to work: 6:30 am - 7:00 am
    Travel to Campus by Car/Find parking: 9:00 am - 9:20 am
    Travel to Work by Car, Plop Down in Office: 1:52 pm - 2:00 pm
    Drive home: 5:00 pm - 5:45 pm

Can you do any of those with a bike?

:neutral_face: Not if I want to be on time or alive. We have no designated bicycle lanes to speak of, so people tend to die riding bikes in my town. The whole "3 feet, it's the law!" thing just doesn't seem to stick here. It's full of distracted students who are too busy texting to drive. I wouldn't feel safe.
  • las07s
    Okay! I am slacking on my work by being here. I should get back to it! I just know I won't have time once I leave the office to respond to you all. I am in love with all the tips you have given so far. I think I will be able to adjust my schedule based on the suggestions you have made!

THANK YOU ALL!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Many people have very busy schedules. I get up very early and go to the gym and make the time for myself, it is the only way for me.
  • DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    You make time. I could post my schedule with work and my two year old twins I care for. Irrelevant. You make the time or you don't exercise. I used to say I didn't have the time but I made the time - an hour a day.
  • aurmston
    aurmston Posts: 31 Member
    You have your day very regimented. Add your exercise in there, somewhere, anywhere. My philosophy is that if you look for the time, you'll never find it; you have to make time. Even if you can carve out 20-25 minutes for some in-home HIIT like 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 starting with 3-4 days/week so you don't have to GO anywhere. Lunch and dinner prep in advance is a biggie, too! If you're o.k with leftovers, one prep several meals.

Or just drop all of your classes... probably not going to happen. ;)
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    It appears as though you walk a lot during the week, maybe close to two miles? You can work in a little cardio during your walks by race walking or even a light jog. Have you thought of having that conversation with your co-workers for that 1 mile walk? If you could increase your pace from a 15 minute mile to a 12 minute mile then you will also be able to walk 20% more distance. If you did the same thing for your other two walks, you get to your destination faster, saving you more time!(You can do jumping jacks or something with the time saved by walking faster or even study for a few minutes).
    Then, on the weekends do something totally different such as strength training, swimming, or HIIT.
    Here is an interesting article by the American Heart Association. It is all about working it into your schedule in a way that works for you. Basically, you can break up your exercise into segments and still reap some benefits. Do simple things like take the stairs instead of elevators for four flights or less which can be another time saver if you are fast enough.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/GettingActive/5-Steps-to-Loving-Exercise-Or-At-Least-Not-Hating-It_UCM_445812_Article.jsp
  • las07s
    troytroy11 wrote: »
    It appears as though you walk a lot during the week, maybe close to two miles? You can work in a little cardio during your walks by race walking or even a light jog. Have you thought of having that conversation with your co-workers for that 1 mile walk? If you could increase your pace from a 15 minute mile to a 12 minute mile then you will also be able to walk 20% more distance. If you did the same thing for your other two walks, you get to your destination faster, saving you more time!(You can do jumping jacks or something with the time saved by walking faster or even study for a few minutes).
    Then, on the weekends do something totally different such as strength training, swimming, or HIIT.
    Here is an interesting article by the American Heart Association. It is all about working it into your schedule in a way that works for you. Basically, you can break up your exercise into segments and still reap some benefits. Do simple things like take the stairs instead of elevators for four flights or less which can be another time saver if you are fast enough.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/GettingActive/5-Steps-to-Loving-Exercise-Or-At-Least-Not-Hating-It_UCM_445812_Article.jsp

I definitely do walk a respectable distance, but you are right about kicking that up a notch. Intensifying the workouts that I already do. :smile: Huh. So simple. :blush: I'll have to leave the group and go out on my own, since they can't do the higher impact exercises. I'm sure they will understand. I can push myself harder and do more for myself if I work on my own. Also, if I find a more stable bag for my laptops and textbooks and notebooks (I have one laptop for work and one for school so I end up saddled like a mule with two laptop bags jammed full :sweat_smile:), I could push myself faster on my walks through campus to and from my car. I already take the stairs and I park in the furthest parking spot in our parking garage, but I could find parallel parking some place further off to kick up more mileage.

THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL IDEAS.
  • las07s
    aurmston wrote: »

Or just drop all of your classes... probably not going to happen. ;)

The thought has crossed my mind! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :
  • las07s
    Hey all! Your ideas have been amazing! Last night, when I got home I did a plank while waiting for my shower to warm up, did some squats in the shower, squats while cooking dinner, squats while brushing my teeth. :smile: Taking breaks from my tasks and doing little exercises will be the change I was looking for! This morning, I didn't take the stairs by two. I kicked off my heels and ran up as fast as I could! I'm about to leave for class. Let's see if I can't break my own speed record across campus. You have been very supportive and helpful. I'm so glad to have gotten such amazing ideas instead of the usual (and totally unhelpful) "make time" responses. I will get fitter and achieve my goals more easily now.

Thanks, awesome people :relaxed:
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Hey all! Your ideas have been amazing! Last night, when I got home I did a plank while waiting for my shower to warm up, did some squats in the shower, squats while cooking dinner, squats while brushing my teeth. :smile: Taking breaks from my tasks and doing little exercises will be the change I was looking for! This morning, I didn't take the stairs by two. I kicked off my heels and ran up as fast as I could! I'm about to leave for class. Let's see if I can't break my own speed record across campus.

las07s, I'm so glad you've been able to identify and embrace what could alliteratively be referred to as being interim-istically-incremental, industriously-'interruptive', incessantly-inspired, and intentionally-informal, instantaneously-incorporated physical activity... ;)

I swear by it (and sometimes 'at' it (in my mind ;) ), if/when I place a high-step in a doorway (on purpose), to step-up on, every time I enter and exit a given room, on some random day (but then find myself in a hurry, and somewhat 'annoyed' by my own gotta-'pay'-this-'toll' 'requirement' ;P ))...

And it's almost become a kind of 'game' that I 'play', involving any of various forms of "in what way(s) could I make this specific everyday activity a 'launchpad' for some form of physical activity...?" -esque 'task identification' gambit (so to speak)... ;)

Oh, and in reading of your doing squats in the shower... I swear, I feel as though I'm in some sort of 'class of one', when in the shower, and embarking on various forms of yoga-position -like stretches, or any resembling-a-workout's-'warm-up'-phase stretching, or random squats -based 'holds'... (and quite honestly, the while-in-warm-water -based stretching that I've engaged in, when in the shower, or taking a bath, has improved my flexibility in ways and to an extent that surprise me (and I've always been someone who stretched (even while growing up), but I thought that my most flexible 'days'/capabilities were 'behind me' (well, I just never engaged in such on a nearly-every-day basis before, let alone while utilizing heated-water-'accompaniment' -based, warmer-than-usual muscles and interconnective fascial tissue (<-- not to be confused with facial tissue, mind you ;P )))).

As it turns out, the 'standing forward bend' yoga position -based stretching that I do in the shower every day -- and outside of the shower, as well, nearly every time that I get up from a 'session' of sitting-at-my-desk -- has been pivotal (along with switching to sitting on a stability ball of the relevant 'compatibly-requisite' pressure) to doing away with the sciatica that began to plague me (rather consistently, and with increasingly more pain) after sitting for a few hours... I initially did 'versions' of said stretch only after sitting down, and otherwise only outside of the shower (not intentionally -- am just clarifying), but it wasn't until I began doing so in the shower, as well, and every day, that the sciatica essentially 'got shown the door', so to speak... :)
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    I commend you on your multitasking and your busyness!

I'm not going to give you any set advice on when to fit in what as I think you know what is going to realistically fit into your routines where. Perhaps rather than looking at every day, maybe you could commit just two of your lunchtimes a week to do some training of whatever form takes your fancy? Or perhaps, incorporate some activities into your family time?

It might just be a case of mixing up your priorities at different times. Most of all remember to put yourself first and remember to get plenty of rest.