Under Calories, Over Sugar

Options
I try every day to meet my calorie goal. I don't eat processed foods, prepare almost everything at home. I can't seem to reach my calorie goal without exceeding sugars. I'm good with fiber, protein, etc. In fact, this evening I cooked a tortilla in butter to up my calories and stayed well within the fat. The sugar seems to build up, big one being nonfat yogurt. Any thoughts. BTW, friends, view my diary.

Replies

• chill0315
    chill0315 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar too. I have talked to a nutrionist and most of my sugar comes from fruit, they told me that was fine due to the way that the body breaks it down. Hope this helps. We do all natural, no preservatives also.
  • elkano
    elkano Posts: 14
    Options
    I have the same problem and was wondering if that was a bad thing. Glad to hear that it's alright, as long as it's from fruit (which it is)!
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad I came across these posts because this is me!! I have way too much sugar, I feel like I'm making good choices with low fat but everything has splenda
  • boardedney
    boardedney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah, id say nix the non fat yogurt and go with snacks like nuts, seeds, boiled eggs, beef jerky,...etc...basically more protein and also throw in some additional veggies. I promise that adding protein will get your calories up and take the place of some of the sugary things. good luck!
  • nc1191
    nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Sometimes I wonder if the sugar goal MFP set for me is unreasonable or if I truly just consume too much sugar. I would love to hear any suggestions or advice!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Read a couple articles and, of course, they all differ. But, it looks like the MFP number is on the low side (24 for a 1200 calorie day). I read 30 grams, 40 grams. So, if I'm only over by a a little bit, I'm not going to worry.
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    I MUST MUST MUST have my moring coffee or nothing will get done. I limit myself to 2 cups now, when I used to drink 8-10 cups thruout the day. I use real sugar and that is my MFP limit for the day. I HATE fake sugar. When I start adding in "real" food that has natural sugar, i always go over. I think as long as my weight loss is steady & I dont go eat a candy bar I'll be fine so I dont worry about it
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between natural sugars found in whole foods (fruit, milk) and refined or "added" sugars found in all other foods (especially cereal, soda, juice, all processed foods).

There are 4.2 grams of sugar in a teaspoon so MFP's default (24 grams) allows for 5.7 teaspoons of sugar per day. As long as most of your sugar is coming from whole foods, don't worry about it so much. Unfortunately MFP doesn't track these sugars separately, but you can do the quick math yourself. That's why it's important to look at the ingredients and watch for anything that ends in "ose" (dextrose, fructose, glucose, lactose, maltose, sucrose, etc.) along with corn sweetener, syrups, fruit juice concentrate, malt, molasses, sugar, etc.