Does anyone else secretly weigh their food?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I use a scale to weigh my food portions but do it in secret because I don't want the rest of my skinny family to know I'm on a diet.

I'm trying to lose a few kilos on doctor's advice but family doesn't agree I need to.

How does this work? if you're obese enough to have doctors advise you to lose then your family would know and support you surely

What is your height and weight OP?

To be honest, I didn't even consider a diet before seeing the doctor for a general checkup so it came as a bit of a shock to me also.

I'm 62 kilos and 169 cm. This works out at a healthy BMI but waist measurement is 84 cm and doctor advised it needs to be under 80 cm. She got me to do an ultrasound to see if there was any reason for the extra weight around the middle (which I only got after having twins and a singleton) but sonographer only found 6 small fibroids and a bit of scar tissue. I went from 55 kg pre-pregnancy to 80 kilos at 9 months with the twins then back down to 68 after giving birth.

I'm losing weight but just not around the middle. I mostly run for fitness followed by crunches etc in the exercise yard. You simply can't target the weight loss.

No you can't - fat comes off where it will and often the stomach is the last place

I'd lift heavy rather than do the crunches though - far superior form of exercise for maintaining your muscles whilst eating at a defecit
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have even taken mine on holiday with me.

My parents are with me and my son and they both ask me if I need to weigh it before it's put on my plate. They know how important this is to me and if they ridiculed me at any point they would be given short shrift.

Never let anyone ridicule you for doing your upmost to be a healthier you.

Make yourself a imaginary badge... "This is my scale, my friend to a healthier life" and wear it with pride my friend. There is NO shame to losing weight. No shame at all.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would never keep something like that secret from my husband. I am not incredibly strict about weighing my food and all that. But, I measure and keep track. I ask him his estimates when he makes something. My kids don't know. I just say I am meal planning or being aware of what I eat or something. I am not trying to lose weight. I just work on my fitness and maintenance. My kids are 8 & almost 11.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a scale on the counter. If you do not weigh your food, it is too easy to add a bit here and there. Then you cannot figure out why you did not lose that week. I live with my Mother, who is also trying to lose weight, so I have no reason to hide it.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options

My GP has warned me that although I have a healthy BMI I still need to get my waist measurement down below 80cm otherwise I'll be at risk of certain chronic diseases. I am making some progress weight-wise but nothing lost yet around the waist. Guess it's a post babies/caesarean issue so harder to get rid of.

From the comments above, it sounds as if I should come clean about the scale and just put up with the ridicule.

Give them the name of your Doctor, and tell them to go talk to him/her, as it is by his advise you are doing this. Ask them if they want you to die early or live in pain because you have a chronic disease. That should shut them up.
  • tamzinbarrett
    Options
    My parents are like malibu927's they leave the packaging out for me and help me when it comes to preparing the food as if I have had a really sluggish day I don't really want a lot for dinner.
  • 13BANE13
    13BANE13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh it and I also have my wife weigh anything she prepares me. its no secret its a necessity if you're seriously trying to lose weight
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    No, DH knows about me being on MFP and weighing my food. I do put the scale away when other people come over. :wink:
    Nope- I keep it on the kitchen counter. It does drive my fiancee crazy though when she's cooking and I'm like wait! I need to weigh that first! haha

My boyfriend won't let me keep the scales on the side. They have to be put away. He says how hard is it to get them out to use. We have a tiny kitchen with not a lot of space on the sides, but I don't see why they can't just stay there!! He does weigh stuff for me and leave out packaging and stuff, so can't complain too much.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My mum gave me *kitten* about it before. She thought it was obsessive and I didn't need to do it. But she's backed off a bit recently so I don't have to be so secretive.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How old are you???
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How old are you???

49 this year.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have to fight the urge to be secretive about it and weigh my food in the "open" even through it's only been a week and I feel uncomfortable doing it. I guess I don't want to be accused of being obsessive about my diet.
  • Tweakfish
    Tweakfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    drs64 wrote: »
    I not only openly weigh everything, at the table, every meal, but have been successful to the point that I now have 3 other family members doing it as well. They haven't quite joined me at weighing food out at restaurants, but that's their loss. It's my body, my "diet", my success story. Screw the judgement of anyone else, especially strangers.

So you bring a scale with you to restaurants?
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No. I leave the scale out on the kitchen top to frequently use. I'm not sure why it should be a secret?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    My father made a derisive noise/comment the first time he saw me using the scales, but I just shut him down with, "It's the only accurate way to know what I'm eating." I think the "accuracy" thing appealed to his engineer side.
  • mzlizzi
    mzlizzi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use a scale to weigh my food portions but do it in secret because I don't want the rest of my skinny family to know I'm on a diet.

To be honest, I didn't even consider a diet before seeing the doctor for a general checkup so it came as a bit of a shock to me also.

I'm 62 kilos and 169 cm. This works out at a healthy BMI but waist measurement is 84 cm and doctor advised it needs to be under 80 cm. She got me to do an ultrasound to see if there was any reason for the extra weight around the middle (which I only got after having twins and a singleton) but sonographer only found 6 small fibroids and a bit of scar tissue. I went from 55 kg pre-pregnancy to 80 kilos at 9 months with the twins then back down to 68 after giving birth.

I'm losing weight but just not around the middle. I mostly run for fitness followed by crunches etc in the exercise yard. You simply can't target the weight loss.

I totally get this. I prefer no one to know and then for them to be surprised at my progress. Plus, I prefer that weight and exercise efforts not be a topic of conversation just in general, even if it's a positive thing. There are just so many other things to talk about!

With regards to your "middle," I am wondering if you are getting enough sleep.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    How old are you???

49 this year.

Yeah, when I first read this I thought you were a young woman living at home with parents, so I wasn't going to reply or I was going to say that it doesn't apply to me.