13»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rebprest wrote: »
    Thanks for the research tip Usmcp.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you absolutely must see them I will come back tomorrow and post several.
    I am just interested. That's what I'm looking for exactly, but if it is too much work don't worry about it. I'll see what I can find.

I don't think it is actually unreasonable to ask people where they are getting information, MrM27. If you can't back up what you are saying, it isn't worth much. But feel free to troll somewhere else if it is bothering you. I can't help but notice your food diary is glaringly empty and your comments on other posts are rude and abusive...

MrM27 wrote: »
    Exactly what evidence are you looking for? What would the study be looking for that you would like people to provide? Are you looking for peer reviewed studies or did you want someone to link you to a physiology textbook?

People gave you answers based on years of experience and studies but you have refuted them. Tell us what you want.

I don't know, MrM27, do you have a textbook on hand that you have actually read that looks helpful? Can you give me the page range? Years of experience aren't necessarily proof and they don't help me understand. If yes then thank you, if not you may want to reinvest your time somewhere else.

I apologize on behalf of the MFP community for not walking around with the World Encyclopedia in their handbags.

I'm too lazy to research so tell me an answer that sounds believable to me.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    WildBillR wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »
    In layman's terms... Muscle is denser than fat and takes up less space than fat.

but .. but ... muscle and fat take up the same amount of space. 1 cubic inch of muscle has the same volume as one cubic inch of fat ...

Implied were the words "A pound of (M)uscle"...than "a pound of " fat. In your example of volume, the weight of muscle would be more than that of fat.

Just riffing on the equally ridiculous "a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat."

Tautologies are just meaningless statements.
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This seems like a great time to say goodbye to this thread (thank you to the helpful posters) and move on while you 3 to 5 trolls continue whatever it is you're doing. Have fun!

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This seems like a great time to say goodbye to this thread (thank you to the helpful posters) and move on while you 3 to 5 trolls continue whatever it is you're doing. Have fun!

MrM27 and myself both gave you links and now you call us trolls? This is why people stop helping others.
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So two of the most knowledgeable and consistently helpful people on these boards are now trolls? Ok then.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    millsrobm wrote: »
    So two of the most knowledgeable and consistently helpful people on these boards are now trolls? Ok then.

You better knock it off with all those compliments. There's no room for that in here!!!!

rofl
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

15767532.jpg

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I sense a mean people thread in the works. I love it when people ask for advice and then don't like what they hear..... the truth.
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's something at least a little more scientific for your liking (off the top of my head, so if you want more, I suggest the internets):

When you eat carbohydrates you have circulating glucose (sugar) in your bloodstream which your body uses for fuel. Your liver and muscles also store some of this excess glucose in the form of glycogen for future use. 4-5 hours(ish) after a meal, or rapidly from your muscles if exercising, your glucose stores will be depleted. Given that glucose is the primary energy source for your brain, your body will initiate gluconeogenesis, a process to GENERATE glucose from other sources--namely, protein and fat. Unfortunately for us, the body tends to choose protein over fat, which is one reason you will lose both muscle and fat during weight loss. Strength training is a great suggestion because it will work on building up your muscles to offset muscle loss during this process. Also, as above posters have mentioned, muscle is more dense than fat and will give you a more lean physique. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to have to take a stab at this one. You said unfortunately for some of us our bodies prefer to burn protein over fat, I'm sorry but that statement is not a valid one. All of our bodies prefer fat over protein as an energy source. Breaking down of protein is the last source of energy your bodies will turn to in line. Not providing your body with adequate protein in order to maintain a positive or equalibrium nitrogen balance will result in muscle degradation but that is the case in everyone, all humans. In a caloric deficit generally strength training is not intended to build new muscle but rather to maintain the ones you have while also enhancing MPS. You train in order to force your body to try and keep as much of the lbm as possible. If it knows you truly need it, it won't be so quick to let it break down.

Glycogen stores in the muscle will not be depleting 4 or 5 hours after a meal, that's not the way it works and endurance trainers that can achieve that work hard, a lot harder than a lot of people here in order to reach a point anywhere near that. Your liver will deplete daily but not muscle.

You body will increase the amount of glucose conversation as a result of gluconeogenesis when carbs are low in general and the is also a certain percentage that gets converted every day no matter what but it's not in a situation that you are presenting. It's not something that is accelerated every 4 hours because you are glycogen depleted simply because our glycogen stores do not deplete the way you said.

I could have been more clear that muscle glycogen will only deplete in the setting of intense/prolonged exercise (e.g. marathon runners hitting the wall). As for protein not being the first choice for gluconeogenesis...BRB let me go tell all my professors at Tufts School of Medicine that they were wrong.

Perhaps this will be helpful:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/I47Zy.png
  • mccindy72
    Options

You got really good advice here. If several others had been here, you'd have gotten the same advice. Because truth. They were quite nice about it, as well. you were the one who got rude and started asking for sources as proof, as if their own experience wasn't good enough.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Here's something at least a little more scientific for your liking (off the top of my head, so if you want more, I suggest the internets):

When you eat carbohydrates you have circulating glucose (sugar) in your bloodstream which your body uses for fuel. Your liver and muscles also store some of this excess glucose in the form of glycogen for future use. 4-5 hours(ish) after a meal, or rapidly from your muscles if exercising, your glucose stores will be depleted. Given that glucose is the primary energy source for your brain, your body will initiate gluconeogenesis, a process to GENERATE glucose from other sources--namely, protein and fat. Unfortunately for us, the body tends to choose protein over fat, which is one reason you will lose both muscle and fat during weight loss. Strength training is a great suggestion because it will work on building up your muscles to offset muscle loss during this process. Also, as above posters have mentioned, muscle is more dense than fat and will give you a more lean physique. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to have to take a stab at this one. You said unfortunately for some of us our bodies prefer to burn protein over fat, I'm sorry but that statement is not a valid one. All of our bodies prefer fat over protein as an energy source. Breaking down of protein is the last source of energy your bodies will turn to in line. Not providing your body with adequate protein in order to maintain a positive or equalibrium nitrogen balance will result in muscle degradation but that is the case in everyone, all humans. In a caloric deficit generally strength training is not intended to build new muscle but rather to maintain the ones you have while also enhancing MPS. You train in order to force your body to try and keep as much of the lbm as possible. If it knows you truly need it, it won't be so quick to let it break down.

Glycogen stores in the muscle will not be depleting 4 or 5 hours after a meal, that's not the way it works and endurance trainers that can achieve that work hard, a lot harder than a lot of people here in order to reach a point anywhere near that. Your liver will deplete daily but not muscle.

You body will increase the amount of glucose conversation as a result of gluconeogenesis when carbs are low in general and the is also a certain percentage that gets converted every day no matter what but it's not in a situation that you are presenting. It's not something that is accelerated every 4 hours because you are glycogen depleted simply because our glycogen stores do not deplete the way you said.

I could have been more clear that muscle glycogen will only deplete in the setting of intense/prolonged exercise (e.g. marathon runners hitting the wall). As for protein not being the first choice for gluconeogenesis...BRB let me go tell all my professors at Tufts School of Medicine that they were wrong.

Perhaps this will be helpful:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/I47Zy.png

I don't think that graphic means what you think it means.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I get my information from uptodate.com --evidenced-based clinical decision support resource. Very useful tool!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I get my information from uptodate.com --evidenced-based clinical decision support resource. Very useful tool!

You have to be careful with sites that are sponsored by one particular company. They are often biased by that company's financial base. Independent sites like NIH or CDC are much better because there is no money base involved and you are getting honest, evidence-based information.
  • runnin_wyiles
    runnin_wyiles Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just don't starve yourself