I feel like a joke!

Options
13»

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would suggest pausing it as needed, but try to get through as much as you can. It has different exercises at different stages, so even if you just jump to the next exercise, and each day try to do a bit more at each spot, until you can get all the way through.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely don't be afraid to stop. I had a similar challenge with a kickboxing DVD I have had for so long but was too lazy to use. A few weeks ago I decided my elliptical trainer was starting to bore me, so I picked up the DVD instead. I lasted about 10 minutes. It took weeks to finally finish the whole thing! Key for me:

I was not afraid to use my pause button
    I was not afraid to use the modifications
    I was not afraid to not do an exercise if it was too hard (I have a bad right knee, so I have to be VERY careful with my range of motion, especially any rotation of the joint)
    I was not afraid to stop. First few times I did 10 - 20 minutes and then cooled down on my elliptical instead.

Keep pushing!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lisasp4 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I'll try again tonight and as long as I get past 5 minutes, I'll count it as a success!!
    Did it again today and got to 10 minutes :)

:bigsmile:

In for the win!

• five1113
    five1113 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, i had to comment on here cause i know your pain. When i decided to take this journey, i had to come to terms with the fact that i could not go from 0 activity into hardcore exercising. First of all, the discipline to get off my *kitten* was the first obstacle. Secondly, every time i did push myself into exercise, i was in way over my head as a beginner. Id do a high impact video, couldnt get through it, and felt miserable and ended up feeling like a failure and that was the end of it. What i had to do, and i promise if it worked for me, it will work for you. Just walk... Walk briskly but not strenuously. You want to be able to make the muscles of your body burn, but you dont want to walk so fast at first so that you hurt all over, and then dont want to do it any longer. If 1/2 a mile burns you out, great....but consistency is key to success. Believe me, getting to exercise was the hardest thing i knew i had to oveecome. Now 2 miles comes easy for me without the sides of my legs feeling like they are on fire, as they did before. Just dont give up in whatever you do. I wish yiu the best, and i know exactly how youre feeling. You can do amazing things once you realize that you are indeed amazing!!!!
  • shaungermany
    Options

B)
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Such great advice ! this place is awesome
  • lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I won't give up!
    I WILL MAKE IT TO THE END!!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to start out with the 30day shred ?

I liken this to asking someone that has NEVER ran, to sprint for 5 minutes straight.
    Wouldn't it be better to start out walking, then next time add some jogging. Then when they build their stamina, lungs, and muscles, add in some running/sprinting.

How about you check-out some exercise videos from your local library ? Less intense, where you can build up your stamina, etc.

I'm sure you'll find a nice variety with different intensity levels.
    Wish you well, and don't give up :smiley:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I won't give up!
    I WILL MAKE IT TO THE END!!

I totally read that post and looked at your avatar and giggled! You go, dancing sheep!!

30DS is a big fat B word! Keep at it, it's a really good butt-kicking. I just about died the first time I tried.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am doing a couch to 5 K.......not run for over 25 yrs.........I could not run for 30 seconds at the start.....that was 6 weeks ago....Now I am in week 3 (I had to repeat weeks, no biggie....I know I am unfit)......and on Sunday and on Monday I ran for 3 minutes non stop twice in each routine.......Very very happy with myself for it......I can guarantee I have not ran for 3 minutes non stop for over 20 yrs........in 6 more weeks I hope to be at 10 minutes maybe.......but each week I add a little extra to get me further.....

Sticking at it is the key....even though at the start you are struggling, keep at it.....do the routine every day.....ESPECIALLY if you don't feel like doing it......you must make the commitment to change.....and in no time at all you will piss the routine your doing.....and will look back and be embarrassed about posting this..........

Also take you time....its taken a few years for you to get as you are........so it wont happen overnight........take your time but keep increasing as much as you can......even if its one rep a week......

Good luck....great work on doubling your time in one day........if you do that every week, in 4 weeks you will be over an hour a day........so its no time at all ......

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Amazing! Well done!
  • lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    All this feedback is brilliant!

I get no encouragement from work colleagues or family members so knowing I'll get it here, really helps!

Thank you.
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Tried level 1 of the 30 day shred for the first time last night.
    I lasted 5 minutes before I had to stop because I felt sick and like I was going to faint!
    How am I supposed to get fit and lose weight if I can only last 5 minutes?
    I feel like a joke.
    I went back training this week after doing nothing for 2 months and i had never felt so unfit as i do now, like you i felt sick and got really dizzy... Dont give up, Take your time, go at your own pace and remember to breathe, it will take a couple of weeks to get used to but you'll get there :) Best of luck!

• jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try the Beginner 30 Day Shred before attempting the normal 30 Day Shred if you're not an active person yet. The Beginner is very low impact, will build up your endurance and set you on the start of fitness. Its much more manageable for me as to compared to her normal Shred. :) Its just important that you not give up and continue to improve. Just keep moving!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    imo, do the whole thing. Make that your goal. Which means you can't run yourself into the ground -- aim to stick it out, so you don't push until you want to puke. (I know she'll tell you to push, just remember, as a beginner, you ARE pushing, even with all my below tips, so no, do not push to puking in 5 minutes. Endure. Conserve energy.)

- Go at a slower pace. (Ex. She does 20 pushups, you do 2, oh well!)
    - Don't go as far into the movement. (Ex. Jumping jack without arm movement, small jump)
    - Always choose the beginner modification.
    - Take a break. (Walk in place)
    - Substitute. Do something else that works for you. (Ex, march in place with high knees instead of jump rope)
    - Hold. (Ex. Hold plank, instead of mountain climber plank)
    - Use less weight / no weight.

You'll learn a lot more by doing the whole thing, too. For example, those arm punches, that would make a great cardio sub for the jumping if you're getting tired. But you don't learn them until later in the video.

You also teach your body how to recover. A lot of cardio is recovery (rather than blasting into "my lungs are on fire, my throat is sore now, my chest hurts, I'm going to die").

You'll also get to see little improvements on different areas. I think you'll see way MORE little improvements like that than you'll see if you're just trying to push through in a linear fashion. So instead of "hey I made it through 6 minutes instead of 5" you'll see "hey, I got all the way through that first set of jumping jacks, and I got an extra two knee pushups in today, and I took fewer breaks during the jump rope, and I think I actually enjoy those butt kicks and..." <-- know what I mean?

So sticking with it, but at a lower intensity, with breaks, modifications, substitutions, is how you'll progress faster, in my experience, than going FULL ON and quitting in a couple minutes.

Some day you'll be able to do the whole thing, no stops (with whatever modifications you still need). Then you can work on the next level, or you can stay there and work on things like putting more energy in (bigger jumping jacks, bigger arm movements, really "pop"), hitting pace, advanced modifications, higher weights, that sort of thing.

Oh, and with Jillian? Pay attention. She gives you lots of little spots to catch your breath, she really does! It's just, you'll miss them, if you're standing there cursing her out, or giving yourself a negative self-talk ("I suck at this, this is awful, etc"). Focus. Use every little break between circuits, when she's talking, etc to BREATHE.

this is spot on.

moderation and just doing the best you can is the best option.

Problem with many of those program is that people don't realize you need to work at your own pace. working at a modified level/pace and getting a 30 minute workout is going to get you more than gutting it out really hard for 10 as a beginner.

But you already did the next/right thing- keep trying and do better than last time. :) keep it up