vacations?

Options
We are planing our fist family vacation. I am concidered about dieting on vacation. do any of you still diet on vacation or do you let loose a bit and enjoy the local places to eat? I have done so well 3 months going strong lost of 36 lbs i just dont know what i should do. I think most of our meals will be lunch meat and things like that but i am sure we will have other things and go out and have drinks. is that normal? should i just enjoy it and get back on track when he get home we will be gone a 12 days. I just dont want to gain a bunch. i am a bit nervious bc this is a big trip

Replies

• Vanessa_Ross
    Vanessa_Ross Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I vacation I allow myself to eat out but still make healthy choices most of the time. I do allow myself to cheat some just not binging every day.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd say try to use good judgement most of the time but also to allow yourself some enjoyment. And do stuff! Its not like you're going to spend your vacation sitting in your hotel room, right? You'll be active & moving constantly. So that will help offset any extra calories.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 7 day cruise and I ate all the food. I think I ate my normal daily calorie intake at breakfast alone!

And when I returned, all my clothes still fit, so I'm pretty happy.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just back from a 4 day holiday, ate and drank god knows how much.

I accepted before hand that I would go all out, I didn't cheat at all 4 weeks prior to the holiday so I felt I deserved it. Haven't gained a single pound though so time to continue!

I also went for an almost 3 hour weight training session when I got back to make use of the fact I had been in a surplus and had excess calories.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ok great
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i never cheat or go over i have been good for 3 months :) just want to make sure i stay good and focused and heck i might be able to go for a run on the beach while im there :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I would definitely want to enjoy my vacation and that means eating well, but it doesn't have to mean eating too much. Smaller portions is key for me.
  • teamgiff4
    teamgiff4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I never track what I eat on vacation.... too much of a hassle (for me). I'm always more active on vacation because there is so much to do and see. I usually come back to find I am down 3 or 4 pounds.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    my husband is on a diet and trying to lose weight. we just went on a 5 day vacation and he didn't diet while we were there. he gained 11 pounds.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    my husband is on a diet and trying to lose weight. we just went on a 5 day vacation and he didn't diet while we were there. he gained 11 pounds.

He genuinely gained 11 pounds in 5 days? Or he came back retaining a lot of water?

I believe that someone could gain weight in 5 days, but to truly gain 11 pounds in that time would take some serious calorie consumption.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

If that's all because of calories in, that means he ate about 7700 calories more than he burned!! I gotta believe a large part of that is water retention, perhaps due to salty foods?

• WeddedBliss1992
    edited April 2015
    Options

He genuinely gained 11 pounds in 5 days? Or he came back retaining a lot of water?

I believe that someone could gain weight in 5 days, but to truly gain 11 pounds in that time would take some serious calorie consumption.

well we are home now for 4 days and he is still about 10 lbs up. we went to las vegas, so yea, 11 lbs is true weight. have you seen those buffets??? :o
  • janejellyroll
    Options

well we are home now for 4 days and he is still about 10 lbs up. we went to las vegas, so yea, 11 lbs is true weight. have you seen those buffets??? :o

I've had water retention that lasted that lasted longer than four days. If it is real weight gain though, I'm impressed that he manged to eat 38,500 calories OVER his maintainence needs. Depending on his needs, that means he could have been eating close to 10,000 a day!

I do eat a lot in Vegas, but I also walk a lot. Anyway, wish him luck getting back on track.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options

I've had water retention that lasted that lasted longer than four days. If it is real weight gain though, I'm impressed that he manged to eat 38,500 calories OVER his maintainence needs. Depending on his needs, that means he could have been eating close to 10,000 a day!

I do eat a lot in Vegas, but I also walk a lot. Anyway, wish him luck getting back on track.

as for walking, well, we got about 4 times a year, and this trip was not a walking trip. this trip, we stayed in our hotel the entire time, except for one cab ride to Rio so i could get my tattoo & one cab ride to caesar's to their buffet. so no walking for us. we even got room service alot so we wouldn't have to go downstairs to the buffet. talk about lazy! LOL

• janejellyroll
    Options

as for walking, well, we got about 4 times a year, and this trip was not a walking trip. this trip, we stayed in our hotel the entire time, except for one cab ride to Rio so i could get my tattoo & one cab ride to caesar's to their buffet. so no walking for us. we even got room service alot so we wouldn't have to go downstairs to the buffet. talk about lazy! LOL

It sounds like it was a fun trip. I adore Vegas and I haven't been for too long!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    On Vacations, I still log, but set my diary to give me my maintenance calories. That way I don't gain (too much, you'll gain water, but it will go away in no time after you get back). I'd rather enjoy myself and eat a bit more than restrict all of vacation and wished I had eaten the ice cream...
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me when on vacation is eating a good balance of foods. Carbs are so quick and easy that, in the past, I used to just live off of them and all was good, except it was easy to gain weight since I wasn't a big meat eater then (or any protein, actually). So now instead of living off of cereal bars and pasta on trips, I always make sure to have my balance of protein/fat/carbs and that, for me, has made an enormous difference.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    +1 for portion control. While on vacation, I never track and I intentionally eat things that I normally do not. French fries, donuts, whichever dessert looks good, beer with every meal, fried everything. I just don't stuff myself, and avoid snacking between meals. Along with the added activity during vacation, it works out pretty well for me, even on long vacations. In the past, I have gone to all-inclusive resorts with good buffets. That did not work out too well.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I went to Disneyworld last year for 2 weeks and didn't put on more than about 3lbs - most of which was water. I didn't count calories, I was just conscious of what I was eating. I had healthy breakfasts 10/14 days (porridge, fruit & yogurt), then was sensible through the day i.e. just having the burger/sandwich without the fries. On the days I didn't do much walking (shopping or pool days), I got myself aquatinted with the gym and did 60 mins on the treadmill with long runs and intervals. I had a couple of days where I let myself go though....