Just lost my job

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
Just need some cuddles as this is such positive community. Was given my notice today :'( And it's a damn difficult job situation in my industry at the moment (which is the reason for the layoffs). I got 4.5 months to find something else, and my ex eployer will continue paying my salary, housing and car until then (I'm on expat assignment). Then they'll move me and my belongings to wherever I indicate. Won't be easy to find something. :/

Replies

• hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel with you - lost my job more than once ...Tell yourself that there is a reason for this and something better is waiting for you !!! Kuddos
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    That sucks, take a day off and then get back o making the decisions you need to. i'd recommend reading what color is my parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles who gives good insight into how you cna deal with things and straegies on finding new employment.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Just need some cuddles as this is such positive community. Was given my notice today :'( And it's a damn difficult job situation in my industry at the moment (which is the reason for the layoffs). I got 4.5 months to find something else, and my ex eployer will continue paying my salary, housing and car until then (I'm on expat assignment). Then they'll move me and my belongings to wherever I indicate. Won't be easy to find something. :/

you got a better deal than a lot of people i know.

you can find something in four and a half months.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sending lots of cuddles your way! I'm sorry for the situation you find yourself in. But as another poster has already said, tell yourself this is meant to be. I always see life as a wheel, which turns, nothing ever stays the same and neither will being unemployed! This situation will not be forever and things will get better. Sending all my luck to you on finding a new empolyer fast! x
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Totally feel ya. My last day at my job is the 20th of May and I still can't find something else.. And because it's the end of a temporary contract (been here for two years), I don't get time off to go to job interviews, nor will I get any kind of salary after the 20th of May..
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It is a difficult situation to be in during the near-term. Lots of decisions to make and lots of stress on you and the family. Over the years, I've known many people who have lost their job (myself included). The majority of them have ended up in a better place. Several were making less money but were much happier with where they ended up -- for many reasons. A year from now you'll look back on this and see that it was a blessing in disguise.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You have it better than a lot of people that get laid off!!! Keep your head up! Don't dwell on the negative too long! Good luck to you. Stay positive and positive will happen
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'd take that as good news! Don't look at it as a "I don't have anything to do and no income" Look at all the possibilities that lay before you! You can literally do whatever you want now.

You can find another job quickly, then double your income for 4 months.
    You can take a 4 month vacation.
    You can choose to retire early (do you have 25 times your annual spending saved up? That's all you need).
    You can become an entrepreneur. Start your own business.

The possibilities are endless. Don't be a slave to the upper class. Take hold of your life.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks all. I was just looking for jobs, but things look rather dim. My whole industry is currently firing people and not hiring. There seem to be some jobs in North America, but I won't be able to work there. I'll keep on searching. But first I'm going on a small vacation tonight. It's been booked and paid, and I need some time off.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks all. I was just looking for jobs, but things look rather dim. My whole industry is currently firing people and not hiring. There seem to be some jobs in North America, but I won't be able to work there. I'll keep on searching. But first I'm going on a small vacation tonight. It's been booked and paid, and I need some time off.
    What industry is this? Oil/gas?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'll pray for your success in securing employment. Good Luck in your search. When I was laid off I made looking for a job my job and did it eight hours a day until I found one.
  • yirara
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Sounds like the obvious choice, doesn't it?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Sounds like the obvious choice, doesn't it?
    Haha yeup. Living in Alberta, it's the major industry here, so there's been lots of layoffs, no work, etc. But there still is work for more educated oil/gas roles.

Good thing your work has offered to pay for things for 4 months, as most people are just getting cut off.

Where do you live? Have you looked at moving somewhere else for a similar role? And what role is it?
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been there and it's very scary. Good luck with your job search. I hope you land a new position soon.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sorry to hear this.

4.5 months is a long time, but it can go by very fast. i would suggest giving yourself a timeframe for applying to jobs relevent to your field of expertise, but then, if nothing is turning up, setting your sights a little lower for a "bridge" job. you may not find the ideal job, but at least you will be employed and can continue looking for the ideal placement.
  • yirara
    Options
    Haha yeup. Living in Alberta, it's the major industry here, so there's been lots of layoffs, no work, etc. But there still is work for more educated oil/gas roles.

Good thing your work has offered to pay for things for 4 months, as most people are just getting cut off.

Where do you live? Have you looked at moving somewhere else for a similar role? And what role is it?

Yes, I'd move everywhere where there's a job and where I get a work permit. Development/production geo here :smile: