Gym intimidation

Options
Ok here's the deal...I am overweight and for some reason the gym scares the hell out of me. I didn't use to be this way...for a long time I went by myself and I was fine. Then I had marital problems and through that I was still fine. A few months ago I fell and ruptured my Achilles. It sucked. I gained 20 lbs and just fell into a funk. After I got my cast off I decided to get healthier and I have. I've lost 16 pounds and I'm feeling good...but the thought of dealing with strangers who may or may not judge me scares me. How do I conquer this? I still limp more often than not and with the amount of tendon removed I may have the limp forever.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    OK. I go to a gym. There are other people there. You know what I was thinking about? I forgot my gym clothes, and I was thinking that I might have camel toe in the stretch pants I had for under my jeans on cold days that I found in the bottom of my coat rack, and the tiny spare shirt I keep in my desk for if my daughter makes a mess in my office would not cover that, and I was in a squat rack with mirrors on EVERY SIDE, SHOWING ME MY FASHION FAUX PAS FROM EVERY ANGLE. Plus I had on super festive Christmas Fuzzy Socks that I got as a present 4 months ago and forgot to take home.

I am so far from even NOTICING your limp, girl. Get in there and do what you have to do to be your best self. You'll be FINE.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My advice as somebody who is also self conscious: Just go.

You're lapping everybody on the couch and it only takes a few weeks to form a solid habit (and see and feel results). You will only improve over time and with a reasonable amount of activity and gym is designed for just that. Besides which, everybody who is anybody in the fitness game had a first day in a gym, somewhere, someplace.

Just go and do it.
  • jdpemberton7
    jdpemberton7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You walk in there with your head up, focused on what you went there to accomplish, if anyone looks at you, you look back at them and smile, do you workout, enjoy it and go home! Chances are they're not even looking at you and you wouldn't know if you weren't looking at them. I used to feel like that but I'm over it...but focus on YOU :)
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Achilles issues! You know what.....people, wherever they are (gym, market, stores) will judge people they see REGARDLESS. The fact that you are in the gym means that you aren't letting your fears get the best of you. A lot of women have this concern. I can only speak for the gym I go to, but there are a lot of members and at any given time there are anywhere from 50-200 people there. Some do classes, some stick to the machines, some do free weights. Just recently, many of the class-goers have crossed over into weights and had trepidation like you have. The best cure for that is to just do it. It sounds so simple, but you know - it will make you stronger.

Once you get to the point where you feel less intimidated, you may find that you talk to people in that 'scary' section of the gym. The gym doesn't exist solely for people who are already in shape and know exactly what they are doing. In fact, many don't but nobody really, truly worries about it. In the end, people are wrapped up in what they do. Find a trainer to show you the ins and outs. Get familiarized with the area so you aren't just wandering around. This is definitely something you can do. What anyone else is thinking is none of your business. You can't control anybody but YOURSELF!

I have no doubt you can do it.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You are all right. I am going to just DO IT. And I probably will talk to a trainer about a regimen to help get my bad leg a bit stronger...although I suspect the best thing I can do is lose weight. It's a struggle for me but I've done it before...I can find that confident girl I was once again :blush:
  • kudzured
    kudzured Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The older i get the more I hate the gym! Sorry, truth. Get yourself a used piece of equipment for home, something you can manage with the injury. You can still join the gym but you will have something to fall back on at home. Best of luck to you!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You're there for you. Focus on your workout and get it done. We're watched and judged everywhere we go anyway. You'll feel like a regular there in no time.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The idea that others are judging us harshly comes from judging ourselves harshly. Learning to like yourself better is part of the journey. Go to the gym...it starts with taking better care of yourself.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nobody is interested in you and its just built up in your mind they are, when that isnt the case. A gym isnt essential at all, but if you wnat to start using one then maybe:

1. Pick a gym you like, they are not all the same and some are a lot less intimidaing/ friendlier than others. Go and visit various ones and see which you feel comfy with. Community gyms tend to have a bigger mix of people, pensioners etc.
    2. Go at a quieter time when there wont be so many people around. Peak tends to be about 4-9pm.
    3. Consider just using a personal trainer for a few visits so you get a routine and you have someone else to keep you company.
    4. Knowing what you are doing gives focus and makes you more efficient.

After you go for a while you will feel comfier. Part of your journey and getting to your target is dealing with things and overcoming obstacles. This phenomena of gym phobia is common, but dont let it hinder your progress, look at it as a place that will help you achieve your aspirations. Thats a good thing.
  • mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If it makes u feel better ive fallen off the tread mill three times. Those things need to be wider. I still go. Just not on the tread mill. No ones watching u and if they r probably silently encouraging u
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    vblair77 wrote: »
    Ok here's the deal...I am overweight and for some reason the gym scares the hell out of me. I didn't use to be this way...for a long time I went by myself and I was fine. Then I had marital problems and through that I was still fine. A few months ago I fell and ruptured my Achilles. It sucked. I gained 20 lbs and just fell into a funk. After I got my cast off I decided to get healthier and I have. I've lost 16 pounds and I'm feeling good...but the thought of dealing with strangers who may or may not judge me scares me. How do I conquer this? I still limp more often than not and with the amount of tendon removed I may have the limp forever.

The thing that rarely gets said about gym 'meatheads' is that they are mostly really good people who are dedicated to lifting iron a lot and have respect for anyone else who does likewise. More than likely you'll be able to ask other gym users for help and advice and they'll gladly give it. If anything, you're more likely to be judged positively for getting your rear end in there and putting in the work to be better. But, as a last resort, if you absolutely cannot overcome your anxiety just yet - get yourself some basic exercise equipment on-line or at a store, such as a barbell with some light weights, and do some things at home until you feel more confident. But I'd absolutely encourage you to just get yourself into the gym just so you can see it's a place you're more than welcome at.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am making a goal of going after work. I get off pretty early so I should be able to get in and out before "peak" time. :smile:
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Gym rat here. Depending on the crowd at your gym, I'd be willing to bet that most of them don't give you a second thought. I've got the "early morning, Spring Training Kids" at my gym now that probably judge everyone. And some times I'm there late in the morning when the trophy wives come in. But in my experience, for the most part, no one cares that you're there. They're either too focused on "getting theirs" or busy socializing.

I used to be self conscious about the faces I would make, and the "grunting/exerting" myself in the gym. I didn't want to be "that guy" that is trying to draw attention to himself. Then I had the good fortune of being in the same area as some power lifters that grunted. That's when I realized "they're not worried about me and what I think of them. They're here to get theirs, and they will whether I'm here or not." So I've begun grunting.

Go to the gym. I always ask myself "When you're at home, alone, looking in the mirror and unhappy with what you see, where will the people that you were too afraid to exercise in front of be?" There are worse things than being "judged" for getting healthy/in shape.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP in my gym I have seeing a guy lift in the machine area with a broken arm. I have also saw a girl who had a severe limp without her full leg brace on and still exercise. I was more proud of them then to judge them with any negativity. I was doing cardio on machines in a sling a week after I tore my pectoral.

OP
    but the thought of dealing with strangers who may or may not judge me scares me.
    This question is why? Why the above? What makes this insecurity happen?
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    1. They aren't as interested in you as you seem to think they are. They are worried about their own stuff.
    2. The others in that gym don't have their act together as much as you seem to think, nor do you have as big of an issue as you are blowing it up to be. You basically are an overweight person who is losing weight and recovering from an injury? Is that seriously a strange thing to see in your gym?? Certainly not in mine! Where I go there are people in all shapes and sizes and ages and ability levels, especially in some of the more beginner-oriented classes and equipment areas (if you go to the area with free weights or to the advanced yoga class there will be some stunningly fit people. They don't seem to pay much attention to me either way). It isn't unusual to see someone with an obvious disability or injury they are working with, perhaps doing physical therapy to improve it. I don't really pay that much attention, other than occasionally observing what is around me the same as I might in a restaurant or mall or anywhere else in public. But if you are in a place that is unwelcoming to anyone imperfect, I could see that as a reason to change places. I work out at the local YMCA and everyone there does not look alike or look perfect.
    3. Even if someone is thinking horrible thoughts about you.... so what? I have no amazing mind powers to hurt someone else physically or emotionally with my thoughts, nor does anyone in that gym. Any power they have is from YOU choosing to let their thoughts (or what you imagine them to be) have meaning in your life or dictate your behavior. Take back that power!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    See the "Thursday motivation" thread. Put your hoodie up and ignore any intimidation.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been on both sides of the coin, I can promise you that you notice the fit people more than the fit people notice you. I applaud (in my head obviously) anyone who is in the gym putting in work. So if I am the one looking at a person trying to get fit, it is nothing buy positive thoughts in my head.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As an avid gym goer and weight room hitter, I can tell you that I absolutely don't care what you are doing, nor do I even know you are there...unless you're doing something really cool like squatting a gazillion pounds...that might make me stop focusing on what's important...me and my work.

Don't be intimidated...everyone is there to work. To boot, the ratio of already fit to trying to get fit people in the gym generally favors the later. There are more people in your shoes than not.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I always find it a little intimidating to go the gym if I haven't gone in awhile. Even if "awhile" is just a week, I feel a little awkward at first. Not sure why, really. I don't know if that's normal per se, but it's not weird so don't feel bad about feeling awkward.

But like everyone else said, just do it. The awkwardness goes away quickly and pretty soon the gym will be your dojo and you'll totally own it.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    vblair77 wrote: »
    I am making a goal of going after work. I get off pretty early so I should be able to get in and out before "peak" time. :smile:

I used to avoid peak time but for some strange reason, I really enjoy it now. Who knows...maybe you will to? The important thing is that you're facing your fear and that you're going. That's wonderful.

And you really will find that unless you're being completely ridiculous (see the video of the guy dancing on the treadmill), no one is going to care. And if they do.... eff em. You're there for yourself. Not for anyone else.

Good luck on your gym adventure tonight. Out of curiosity - do you have a plan that you're following when you go?

Let us know how it went for you!