How did you lose weight? (I'm new to this)

Options
What workouts did you do? How long did you perform your workouts? What foods did you cut off to see results? What foods did you add to your new diet? How much weight did you lose? Where there mistakes you did, What did you learn from your mistakes?
Share your story it would help me im new to this... :#

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Ate less calories. That's it. Seriously, 17lbs in about 120 days. Slow, but it's off and I'm in my goal jeans.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Log everything you eat. Learn how many calories you are actually eating. Then use a TDEE calculator (Google it) to determine how many calories you should be eating. Eat that many calories. Weight loss engaged.

You don't have to eliminate any food.

If you want to workout, do it. Find something you like. But if you are eating in calorie deficit, you don't HAVE to exercise.

I like running, yoga, and Stronglifts 5X5 weightlifting. They have an app you can follow at stronglifts.com. If you don't know how to perform the lifts, you can use Youtube to learn form.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Four words.... Eat less, move more.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Start here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

then read this - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

Personally, I cut my calories back by determining my TDEE and taking off 10%. I work out 4-5 times a week, 3 days strength training 2 days HIIT. I had gone from 169 down to 138 doing this consistently (I'm 5'5") - then I slacked off and gained back 10 pounds....working on retraining myself now.

Make a plan and stick to it, that is all there is too it. You have to be consistent.
  • valcala23
    valcala23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Theres specific questions i asked if you dont want to post your story please dont post at all...!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't really do any workouts, didn't cut out any specific food, didn't add any specific food, just stuck to my calories and lost 55lbs.

My main advice would be to weigh everything with a food scale if you're not already. While cutting out any specific food isn't necessary, it's worth looking at what foods you like and which of those foods are lower in calories. For example, I like lasagne just as much as burgers and chips, but lasagne tends to be lower in calories, so I have that more often now. I like Kitkats just as much as Mars bars, but Kitkats are less than half the calories, so I'll have one of them instead. I still have a Mars bar if I can fit it in, but if all I want is some chocolate I'll have the lower calorie option.

I still don't really do any workouts but I do do a lot more walking than I used to - I always take the stairs, I always walk during lunchtime at work, I sometimes walk home. I would have never done any of that before, but now it's just habit. I also started putting more effort into walking faster, and now my walking speed is naturally faster, which means I can walk further and burn more calories at lunch. Getting a Fitbit has really motivated me to do more walking, too, so do look into it if you think something like that would also work for you.

All you need to know is that it's all about calories. Do whatever works for you if it fits your calories. Eat chocolate, skip breakfast, eat before going to bed. And don't worry about having a break once in a while if it's a special occasion, one meal won't ruin your diet.

Good luck!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Log my food, measure everything, eat healthy 90% of the time, keep within my calorie range, exercise. Simple life changes.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Me too ... ate fewer calories. Did some walking, kept active and off my behind. I've lost 24 lb so far.

It's good to build a support system here as well ... feel free to add me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    valcala23 wrote: »

Theres specific questions i asked if you dont want to post your story please dont post at all...!

One note about these forums: once you make a post, it's open for anyone to comment on. If you don't like a response, consider just moving on. You can't really control the dialogue on a post, even if you did start it.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    To lose the weight... Seriously I just ate less, it really is just math.

For fitness, body composition and strength I lift heavy.

I lost 42lbs in 8 months, I slacked over winter and gained back 10lbs. Slacking wasn't my mistake though, my mistake was getting down over the 10lbs instead of celebrating the 32lb loss and moving forward.

As for diet... I eat what I want. If I was to deprive myself any certain food, I do not believe that it would be sustainable. Plus I can be a brat and denying myself anything only increases my desire for it.

Eta.... I have tried to increase protein intake.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat less and/or move more. You need to find a balance you can live with for awhile. After the weight is gone....the work isn't done. You will still need to maintain your new weight.

What I recommend is look for lifestyle changes. I found that if I dieted one way and started exercise I hated....I could lose the weight....BUT when I stopped eating that way and I stopped exercise the weight came back. This is why I'm not a fan of....don't eat X, Y, and Z to lose weight. Unless I plan to quit - chocolate, ice cream, etc. forever....dieting with zero chocolate and zero ice cream really teaches me nothing.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

There really isn't much more to a weight loss story than that. Ingesting less calories than you burn is what it all boils down to in the end.

Personally, I've lost nearly 50lbs since November by being honest with myself, and my calorie intake. I also started going to the gym to run in order to burn off even more calories. I was lifting for a while, but I injured my idiot self, and will resume lifting when I'm all healed up.
  • valcala23
    Options
    Start here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

then read this - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

Personally, I cut my calories back by determining my TDEE and taking off 10%. I work out 4-5 times a week, 3 days strength training 2 days HIIT. I had gone from 169 down to 138 doing this consistently (I'm 5'5") - then I slacked off and gained back 10 pounds....working on retraining myself now.

Make a plan and stick to it, that is all there is too it. You have to be consistent.
    Just curious if you dont mind me asking how long did it take you to go from 169 to 138?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I first started by cutting out alcohol and soft drinks. Not saying they're bad, they just added calories up way too quick for me... And I found I would rather eat my calories. I don't eat very many fried foods. Bake, roast or grill most things.

Exercise is my downfall but my best advice is find something you like. One thing I enjoy is playing Just Dance with my daughter. It's fun. It burns calories and time goes by quickly.

Also, I had to let go of the " either I do it perfect or not at all". You know the well, I ate that cookie; there goes today. I will start over tomorrow. No, not cool. Now, I'm like I ate the cookie. It is what it is. How can I recover from it?

Good luck! =)
  • valcala23
    Options
    Ate less calories. That's it. Seriously, 17lbs in about 120 days. Slow, but it's off and I'm in my goal jeans.
    No working out?
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tracked all my food and drinks, came in under my calorie goal.
    Ate foods high in protein and low in calories
    I cut out sugary drinks (not soda for me but juices) I miss my juice, but I love my skin being clear!

I exercise 6 days a week, but that's because it keeps me motivated. If I'm exercising it doesn't make sense to go home and eat junk. I did Boot Camp classes at my gym and have now started cycle classes to keep pushing myself. I have done mostly cardio and lost 36lbs so far.

I also enjoy the Protein Shakes my gym sells... awesome flavors that taste great... even a "Candy Bar Craving" shake that taste like a liquid peanut butter cup!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    No working out?

You don't have to work out in order to lose weight. You only have to eat less calories than what your body uses through your daily activity.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I started by walking every morning pushing my 2 children in a stroller. Then I started eating about 1300 cals a day. I was eating about 2000. I eat my refined carbs in the morning or lunch, and at dinner I would eat my complex carbs (sweet potatoes ect...) I have lost 33lbs in about 6 months. I'm sedentary for the most part ( In college for my M.S in Nutritional Science. Will be a pediatric dietitian soon!! :smiley: ) I have learned that if I deny myself foods like chips or chocolate, I would eventually binge on them and go back into my old eating habits. I personally believe that you should never make a drastic change in your eating habits, unless they are sustainable. Best of luck!
  • valcala23
    Options
    _KitKat_ wrote: »
    To lose the weight... Seriously I just ate less, it really is just math.

For fitness, body composition and strength I lift heavy.

I lost 42lbs in 8 months, I slacked over winter and gained back 10lbs. Slacking wasn't my mistake though, my mistake was getting down over the 10lbs instead of celebrating the 32lb loss and moving forward.

As for diet... I eat what I want. If I was to deprive myself any certain food, I do not believe that it would be sustainable. Plus I can be a brat and denying myself anything only increases my desire for it.

Eta.... I have tried to increase protein intake.
    thanks for sharing this i exactly the advice i need...

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No working out?

Working out is for fitness & health. Sure it burns a few calories, and the right kind of exercise can help you keep lean muscle (strength training). Plenty of people who cannot exercise lose weight. Exercise is not mandatory. In fact MFP will give you a calorie deficit with zero exercise factored in. It's up to you.