How do you stay motivated?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals a day in advance (and stick with it!). I also keep a jacket and a pair of jeans that I want to get into again hanging in my bedroom where I can see them when I go to bed/get up every day. I keep an unflattering picture that I hate of myself on my fridge. It's working for me. When I go to the store, I can pass by all the fattening, unhealthy crap that I used to buy. The store I go to has the heart healthy nuts I get by the Little Debbie snack cakes. I don't know what cruel, sadistic *kitten* came up with that placement. :'(
  • amandaelizabeth81
    amandaelizabeth81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have found mini goals helped me alot when sticking to my calorie goal. When I started I needed to lose 80-100 lbs, thats alot and feels quite overwhelming. When you think of your total goal that is in the more distant future its really easy to throw away today thinking you can figure it out tomorrow. Setting monthly mini goals keeps me on track and gives me more instant gratification.

I think the "big picture" is what's getting in my way - like seeing the total weight I need to lose is intimidating. And the whole "this is a lifestyle change" is so true. So that's overwhelming me a little.
    But thanks - mini goals will be much easier to focus on!
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just keep your end goal in your mind and have mini-goals along the way to stay focused.

Life has a habit of making it hard, but nothing worth doing came easy so get the hubby to look after the kids for an hour at the weekend while you workout, maybe find a workout you can do at home in the week?
  • amandaelizabeth81
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    The most frustrated part for me is I have done it before so I know I can, I just can't seem to get into the right mind state, not matter what I do!

Help!

I will just add that based on what you say above, it might be helpful to give yourself a break and not compare your current weight loss goals to your past ones.

That's exactly why I started a new profile! I was seeing my "starting weight" from 3 years ago and thinking how I was creeping up closer to it again. Mind you, the number is burned into my head anyway! :lol:
  • amandaelizabeth81
    Options
    motivation has nothing to do with it. if i only did things i was motivated to do, i'd be sitting watching netflix all day.

Haha! Right!
    I guess I just need to be more strict with myself. I give in too easily to what's easier and what's faster, not what will be helping me in the long run!
  • amandaelizabeth81
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    Just keep your end goal in your mind and have mini-goals along the way to stay focused.

Life has a habit of making it hard, but nothing worth doing came easy so get the hubby to look after the kids for an hour at the weekend while you workout, maybe find a workout you can do at home in the week?

Thanks :) I really like "nothing worth doing came easy" So true.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have found mini goals helped me alot when sticking to my calorie goal. When I started I needed to lose 80-100 lbs, thats alot and feels quite overwhelming. When you think of your total goal that is in the more distant future its really easy to throw away today thinking you can figure it out tomorrow. Setting monthly mini goals keeps me on track and gives me more instant gratification.

I think the "big picture" is what's getting in my way - like seeing the total weight I need to lose is intimidating. And the whole "this is a lifestyle change" is so true. So that's overwhelming me a little.
    But thanks - mini goals will be much easier to focus on!

Go little by little. You don't have to make all the changes at one. Leave some for when you're further along.

First, determine your healthy deficit... and hit it. Eyeballing portions... then eventually start weighing and measuring (when eyeballing stops working). Then... add workouts. There's a whole world there, haha. Then... get to know more recipes and nutritious dishes/snacks. Try to sleep better, try to stay hydrated. Little by little. Read up, educate yourself. The stickies in these forums are great.

Don't do it all at once... but do it. Start right away with something (if starting with "all the things!" is too overwhelming). Progress will be your best motivation.

I really wish you the best!
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think about time. Every second and minute you spend trying to find motivation, you have lost time - time you will never get back. I say don't find motivation. Just do what you have to do because motivation will find you while doing it.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You have to start where you are. My advice is to not focus on the huge task ahead of you. Instead, focus on making small improvements. Commit to making one small improvement in your situation every day.

For example, focus on getting a few more steps in every day. If you don't have one already, go buy yourself an inexpensive pedometer ($20 or less at a sporting goods store, or online, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-321-Tri-Axis-Pedometer-Black/dp/B007ZWIJR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429113772&sr=1-1&keywords=pedometer). Then start keeping track of your steps on a daily basis and then calculate a weekly average and every day try to beat last week's average. You will be making small incremental changes, but small changes add up quickly.

As you build up a track record improving one thing, then turn your focus to other things. Calculate your average calorie intake for the previous week, and try to beat last week's average.

Or if you do calisthenics, try to beat your push up record by 1, or 5, etc.

The point is, you don't have to be perfect. You just have to be better. Remember the joke about the bear? If a bear is chasing you and your buddy, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your buddy. Think of your quest for improvement as trying to outrun your previous self. Perfection isn't required, but improvement is.

If you strive to make small improvements every day, then before you know it you will have accomplished an impressive transformation.

Good luck!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I cannot stay motivated 24/7. I thought I could. I will have days where I want to eat everything and not go to the gym because I'm tired or just don't feel like it. I could easily finish a whole pepperoni pizza pie and pint of Talenti ice cream to myself while sitting in front of Netflix all day and night but then what? I've screwed up my progress for the week. It's never worth it. Eating better and working out is just something that has to be done and we have to learn to accept things they way they are. I don't want to give up on myself like a lot of other people do. I want to be the best so I stay focused. That's really what will get you through it. Stay focused on what you want most and don't let anything get in the way of it! I don't need to enjoy it and I don't need to be happy doing it all the time or feel hyped up and motivated. I just need to stay on track and keep doing what needs to be done. Try not to think about it, just do it. Seeing those results from that hard work we put in, week after week is the push we need.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. discipline stays. how we feel about fitness has little to do with doing it or the results we get from living a healthy fit life. If I want to be motivated though...I look at the great results others have gotten and I am inspired and motivated by them.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. It sounds cliche, but it works for me. Every day I tell myself to just make it work today. I don't think too much about how far I still have to go, just what I need to do today. Someday I might eat an entire pizza or someday I might run a 10K. I can't predict the future, but I can control myself right now and right now is what matters.