Are sit-ups/crunches really needed?

Options
Mr_Boy
Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
My workout routine is mostly cardio for weight loss, but I throw in push-ups, crunches, pull-ups and bicep/tricep curls. I've noticed that virtually every exercise I do, I can feel my stomach is tensed - even cycling I can feel it working my stomach a bit. Yesterday after a week off I did no crunches at all but my abs are still sore today.

So I wondered do I really need to bother with crunches or will my abs be exercised 'automatically' by the rest of my workout? I'm not after some crazy 6-pack, just balanced, toned, muscles.

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am kinda of the opinion that there isn't much point to specifically "working out" a particular set of muscles if you already do all kinds of other things. Unless you are specifically trying to grow certain muscles for looks, there isn't much point to specifically doing anything with them.

Personally I don't lift anything, yet my biceps are well developed. I suspect from swimming a lot. My pects, on the other hand, are scrawny. I do nothing with those muscles really. I don't see any need to specifically build them up, other than for looks, and honestly I would prefer not to have extra muscle around that I have to haul around a race course if it isn't going to do anything for me.

That may be a long winded way of saying you don't specifically need to do ab work.

I am, however, going to go right ahead and contradict myself by saying I found that since I actually did start doing core exercises my swimming, cycling and running technique has greatly improved.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would ditch the bicep, tricep, and ab exercises. Throw in some squats and deadlifts. Those will hit your abs and make much better use of your time.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    +1 on the squats and deadlifts. Also, when you do squats (especially front squats) and deadlifts, you're working your abs.

Unless you want to have a major six pack to show off (because you're below 10% body fat), there isn't much value to doing crunches or situps.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Core work is important. The standard for overall health includes two full body work outs a week...so yeah abs are part of your full body!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm with @glenviso here. If you don't want to do a particular exercise, then don't do it. Crunches are among the exercises I loath with a passion, so I don't do them. I haven't been bothered fitting in core work yet because I enjoy the little routine I have going and I'm working towards my goals just fine. It depends what you want to achieve. There's nothing that says you HAVE to do anything specific, just as long as you enjoy it enough to actually do it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well yeah there is something that says you HAVE TO if you want to age well and in a balanced way. Its all a matter of what philosophy you want to believe and live. If you want unbalanced body..then do as you wish when you wish with whatever you wish. That said...you can do ab work standing up or dancing...and no its not for a test its for aging well and in a balanced manner and I never studied aging until I was over 50 so.... consider your sources.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no not really- unless your doing a PT test and need to be good at them FOR THAT.
  • Mr_Boy
    Options
    Why the love for squats? My thighs are the one area I'm already pretty toned/muscled from lots of cycling.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Mr_Boy wrote: »
    Why the love for squats? My thighs are the one area I'm already pretty toned/muscled from lots of cycling.

Coming from someone who lifts nothing heavier than a beer glass: squats and deadlifts are perhaps the most useful lifts anyone can do as they recruit muscles in the entire body to execute successfully - especially the core.
  • Mr_Boy
    Options
    By dead-lift do people mean lifting from the floor to over your head, or just the first half of that?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    By dead-lift do people mean lifting from the floor to over your head, or just the first half of that?

You're thinking of a clean and jerk. I would just google deadlift for proper form.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Squats so you can be a little more "Mr" and a little less "boy." Lifting heavy, particularly with squats, boosts testosterone production.

Squats because they are a full body, compound movement that is extremely functional (i.e., it is a movement we do often and can always use more strength in).

Squats because you get a good metabolic increase from using large muscles to move weight.

Squats because it helps you see where you have mobility issues that can affect your quality of life later in life. That is if independence in old age matters to you.

Squats because lean muscle mass is a leading indicator for longevity (more than cardiovascular health, blood pressure, cholestorol, etc.).

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    core strength is important whether you want 6 pack abs or not. I switched from crunches to planks recently. Better overall. Not sure sit-ups and crunches are all that great for the spine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Frankly sit-ups don't really work the core very well at all. Crunches are a bit better, but both are better replaced by other exercises which are much less likely to injure you than these two are. I don't do them because I don't feel the risk to my spine is worth the amount of benefit sit-up/crunches give. Planks, rollouts, fallouts, and other exercises are far better and much less likely to cause injury to your spine.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I mainly target my abs/core with the compound lifts noted above - squats (front and back), deadlifts, and push-ups. You also work your core (to varying degrees) with any standing free weight exercise - standing military press, barbell/db rows, db walking lunges, db step ups.

I do throw in some kneeling cable crunches and ab wheel exercises just for some targeted work, but unless your body fat is wicked low, you're not going to see a six pack (or less) anyways.