Can someone help analyze my diary and help me out with carbs/protein/fat ratio?

Options
I've been trying to work on eating healthy for a long time but the last few months I've really stuck to it and cut out a lot of junk. Now I only have cheat meals once in a blue moon. I work out at least 3x a week with a trainer doing a mix of weight lifting (deadlifts/bench/squats) and mixed hiit (suicide runs with sandbags or sleds, weight ropes, bear crawls/inch worms, tire flips/pulls and ab work) I know I'm being active and burning calories and building muscle. I have my trainer use calipers on me and just yesterday found out I've lost 2% body fat but I haven't lost much weight even though I'm tracking my calories like crazy. (2-3lbs in the last 2 months)

I've cut out bread out almost completely, if I do have it, its whole wheat or 100 calorie sandwich thin. I cut out peanut butter almost entirely, I don't drink anything but water and one cup of coffee a day. I had orange juice for the first time yesterday in months (just saying so people dont question why I have it logged). I've tried to up my protein by eating quest bars in the morning on the way to work and I've noticed they really help me not be starving by 9am. I just really want someone to tell me what else I can do to help speed up my progress. I'm going to start tracking my calories burned more accurately now because I got a new hrm monitor (I lost the chest strap) so I was just logging 200 calories burned even if I knew I probably burned more.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You didn't log Sunday or Saturday, so I'm not going to go back any further. Log accurately every day. We can't help you if there are gaps in your logging since we don't know if you ate 500 calories or 5000 calories.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The best place to start is with accurate logging. Log everything and weigh all solids. If you don't have a food scale, you can get a decent digital scale for about $20 - GREAT investment.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    by the way, 2% body fat loss is great!
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You didn't log Sunday or Saturday, so I'm not going to go back any further. Log accurately every day. We can't help you if there are gaps in your logging since we don't know if you ate 500 calories or 5000 calories.

If you go back every other day you'll see I did log......Saturday I honestly can't remember what I ate so I couldn't even try to guesstimate my calories (I take a medication that messes with my memory, topamax) and Sunday evening I went out to dinner so yes, I could have added that in but I didn't, my mistake.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    The best place to start is with accurate logging. Log everything and weigh all solids. If you don't have a food scale, you can get a decent digital scale for about $20 - GREAT investment.

Thanks :) I do have a food scale and I weigh my foods before I eat at home (my steak/chicken/turkey) and my produce before I bag it (snap peas). I eat a pre-packaged soup that has two servings in it so I split that up and eat that over two days. Everything else I measure out (1/4 cup of cheese/chick peas etc) if I don't have my scale.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Okay, well if the days you have logged completely are representative, I actually think your calories are a bit low right now. But, you really need to log your weekends because it is just so easy to get rid of your deficit with a few meals. Especially eating out is often a lot more than you think it will be. If you wanted to tweak your nutrition you might increase protein. I think you are making pretty good choices. For weight loss, it's about your calorie deficit. That's why you need to get everything in.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    2% body fat loss is excellent! Keep up the good work, be patient and weigh your food. I'm getting my digital w/ tare and unit measurements next month. The one I have now is not as accurate. Congrat's on the loss of body fat!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

If you go back every other day you'll see I did log......Saturday I honestly can't remember what I ate so I couldn't even try to guesstimate my calories (I take a medication that messes with my memory, topamax) and Sunday evening I went out to dinner so yes, I could have added that in but I didn't, my mistake.

The Saturday and Sunday before that doesn't look accurate either. And the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before that. And March 3rd through the 16th is full of blank or half filled out pages.

I cannot help you if you do not log accurate.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, you're right my weekends are a trigger for me, whether it be going out with friends or just tracking falling by the wayside. I appreciate the honest feedback!

Ahh I did remember what I had Saturday morning, I made myself an egg white omelet with turkey taco meat and trader joes peppers and onions. I'm logging that now before I forget haha. My migraines get so bad sometimes that I might only eat two meals a day (breakfast/lunch) like last Saturday. But other times I do get lazy or forgetful about logging and need to be better about that. I'm sorry if I sound(ed) defensive, I just get so caught up with the scale sometimes and why it won't move, I'm why it won't move :smile:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, you're right my weekends are a trigger for me, whether it be going out with friends or just tracking falling by the wayside. I appreciate the honest feedback!

Ahh I did remember what I had Saturday morning, I made myself an egg white omelet with turkey taco meat and trader joes peppers and onions. I'm logging that now before I forget haha. My migraines get so bad sometimes that I might only eat two meals a day (breakfast/lunch) like last Saturday. But other times I do get lazy or forgetful about logging and need to be better about that. I'm sorry if I sound(ed) defensive, I just get so caught up with the scale sometimes and why it won't move, I'm why it won't move :smile:

That is some great reflection right there! You see where the gap is in your information and once you log accurately you'll see a bit clearer how your choices are impacting your progress.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 2% body fat, you've probably gained a bit of muscle--which weighs more than fat. So you may not see the pounds coming off on the scale, but you should be noticing it in the way your body looks (after all, 2% is a huge accomplishment).

Accurate and consistent logging will help you figure out where you can cut back. Sometimes, it's not just about calories but also what you're eating. Take a look at your macros and note if you have a consistently high sugar intake. I didn't notice sugar as an option to view on your diary, but since you don't eat bread, your carbs could mostly be sugars. And note where the sugar comes from (natural sources vs. added sugars); same with fat intake (are they predominantly good fats like avocado and nuts versus butter and added fats?).
    Hope this helps.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    AndiJH wrote: »
    If you've lost 2% body fat, you've probably gained a bit of muscle--which weighs more than fat. So you may not see the pounds coming off on the scale, but you should be noticing it in the way your body looks (after all, 2% is a huge accomplishment).

Accurate and consistent logging will help you figure out where you can cut back. Sometimes, it's not just about calories but also what you're eating. Take a look at your macros and note if you have a consistently high sugar intake. I didn't notice sugar as an option to view on your diary, but since you don't eat bread, your carbs could mostly be sugars. And note where the sugar comes from (natural sources vs. added sugars); same with fat intake (are they predominantly good fats like avocado and nuts versus butter and added fats?).
    Hope this helps.

None of this is accurate.

Gaining muscle in a deficit, apart from small newbie gains, is extremely rare so as to be unlikely. And muscle doesn't weigh more than fat; it's simply denser.

Also, sugar doesn't make you gain weight; eating more calories than you burn does.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    AndiJH wrote: »

Hope this helps.

No. If she's watching carbs and fat she doesn't need to micro manage where they come from. If she struggles to adhere to her goal it would be worth changing up some of the sources of the carbs and fat, but worrying about "added sugars" or eating butter is majoring in the minors. Logging accurately is going to be far more important than skipping butter.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    I don't use butter, I use coconut oil and spray or extra virgin olive oil for cooking and use it to roast veggies. I was eating avocado tuna salad a few months ago but stopped when I found a low sodium black bean soup I liked more. I eat hummus in a pre-portioned container.