Options
2»

Replies

• jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Babygi6003 wrote: »
    I weigh myself Friday mornings after I take a shower/get ready for the day

I'm trying to break the habit of weighing on Mondays and weigh on Fridays instead because I know Friday will probably be my low point for the week, not after the weekend. It's taking some work to get used to.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning after I get out of the shower. I have a Withings WiFi scale that automatically syncs with MFP wirelessly. Love it.

There is no point in weighing throughout the day - your weight will fluctuate from eating and going to the bathroom.

Your weight will also fluctuate from day to day, of course, but what you are looking for are trends. The Withings web site tracks your weight also and provides trend lines automatically.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter so long as your are doing it at a consistent time and under roughly the same conditions. If you don't understand natural weight fluctuations I would suggest not weighing in more than once per week though.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like to weigh every morning as soon as I wake up. Its just part of my morning routine. I usually know it I am going to be up a bit or down depending on the day before. Weighing everyday helps me maintain.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can only weigh myself once a month for my sanity. I get easily discouraged with fluctuations and small losses.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    once a week, same day/time every week. imo everything in between is false advertisement =) and can just mess with your emotions.

some people like to track daily to see their fluctuations throughout the month, but imo a very limited group of people can really handle that emotionally and put the scale in perspective in understanding the ups and downs daily.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing after hitting the head.

The "right" answer is that it depends on (a) how quickly your weight is changing and (b) the accuracy of your scale.

If your scale is accurate to half a pound (most consumer scales aren't even that good, even if they show decimals) and you're losing/gaining at half a pound a week, you don't need to weigh more than every other week. If you're losing at 4 pounds a week and your scale is good to a quarter pound, weight every day.

Then there is the psychological aspect - many studies have shown that a big percentage of the population gets more pain from bad news than happiness from good news - if that's you, and you can actually stick to your dieting plan, weight less often so you're more likely to get good news.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do every day after I go to the bathroom in the morning but I'm gonna start doing once a week tomorrow
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    As often as you'd like. Regardless of whether it is weekly or daily, just get used to fluctuations. I think daily is better because if you weigh yourself only once a week, while you miss out on some upward fluctuations, you probably also miss some downward fluctuations and might have the impression you haven't lost when you have.

Some weight loss experts used to say weigh only once a week. Now many say to weigh daily because of the above comment and it also helps you stay on track psychologically.

But like I said, regardless of how often you weigh yourself, don't let the scale have too much power. Your weight will fluctuate. Look at the larger trend and how your clothes fit.