Does walking count as exercise?!? Ideas to burn more calories!!

Options

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Walking can be cardiovascular exercise. You need to push the pace to bring your heart rate up.....that's exercise.
    Excellent advice. Ordinary walking will help, but it's a relatively inefficient way to make progress. Push yourself a little bit and it will be much more effective.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    mis_linzi wrote: »
    Yes. I suppose its pretty hard work: And not to open a can of worms but I smoke so It can get pretty uncomfortable. I just find my self making excuses to not ever do it, and I feel like when I do exercise I look ridiculous. I shouldnt care eh.

I like using exercise videos. My favorite are from Leslie Sansone. She has miles for different skill levels. Plus I find her general attitude funny and motivating. I don't like working out in front of people either. About 2 years ago, I lost nearly 40 pounds this way. I also smoked at the time.

There are a few videos on YouTube if you want to try it out.
    Definitely! I was going to say leslie! But walking is so awesome! You actually will firm up from just walking as you increase pace and distance and if you go for two hours thats a significant burn! I know I walk daily! So I don't know why people say you dont burn much cause I always burn 200 to 3000 calories! Depending on distance and pace. Brisk is better on the burn and I walk from 1 mi. To 13 miles walks during the week. I hace literally shed it off and my legs are nice and toned now!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you don't have one of those step counter gadgets you could pick someplace you're comfortable walking to and get the exact mileage from Google maps. Write down your time to that place. Get the exact mileage to someplace else. Walk there and write down that place and distance. Pretty soon you'll have a list of places to walk to.

My list includes 2 barber shops, 2 hardware stores, 2 department stores, 2 produce stands, 3 supermarkets, 3 ethnic food stores, an ice cream shop, great taco truck, beer store, etc. etc. You get a little bonus exercise carrying home your purchases and I figure that bonus makes up for an occasional paleta (popsicle) from my favorite paleteria (Mexican ice cream shop).

I smoked almost 40 yrs. Quit 12 years ago after COPD diagnosis. Everybody quits eventually. Cemetery residents don't smoke after all.
  • karinefournel
    karinefournel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do hills, intervals, fartlek just like running but walking instead. I can't run due to a hip/lower back issue (yes, I'm seeing a professional who got me back on my feet again and this is part of my rehab). Today, I did a 41.50 mins walk (8.50 mins/km, total of 4.85k) I use RunKeeper with a 5 mins warm up and then 20 secs fast pace and 10 secs 'slower' pace (a tad slower but certainly not at a stroll pace) at 145 bmp (I used a Motion Traxx podcast for bpm and music) and my Polar HR calculated that I burn around 421 calories. After I hit the ground with Runtastic sit-ups, Runtastic push-ups and Runtastic six pack and a 1 minutes plank. I would say that after loosing 14 lbs so far, yeah walking does count as exercises! The best thing is, I could careless what people think when they see me. I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing this for me! So put your sneakers on and go for it! What do you have to loose beside getting fitter, stronger and healthier?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It's not great exercise. It's good and certainly worth doing, but be wary whenever someone says that it's "great exercise." As others have said, it will certainly help burn some calories, but it won't provide a lot of cardiovascular benefit.

Don't get me wrong. I would never discourage you from adding some walking to your program. It can be helpful for crosstraining or for days when your legs are too sore from previous workouts. And of course, it can be enjoyable in other respects. Just don't expect it to work wonders.

Personally, I advise people to think of walking, dancing, housework, etc as "activity" and to think of more vigorous work as "exercise." Obviously, there is a blurry line between the two. However, thinking in that manner has helped me focus on pushing myself more while maintaining an otherwise active lifestyle.

You are obviously expressing your opinion based on your health level, age, and fitness. You should not make such cast in stone declarations for others. My wife is older, has asthma, COPD, and would love to walk. For her it definitely would be "great" exercise because about one block is all she can do.

The fact is, walking is a great exercise for most people. It is very beneficial to the cardiovascular system and has a low risk of injury.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    yes - an hour (3miles) a day at 3-4 mile pace is what helped me lose my first 66lbs.
  • ashleyanne710
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Preferable one that connects with map my run. Find what your heart rate range is. Walking will get you there unless you're an NBA player. I used to take really long walks too. I walked to work and home from work. In the evening I would go for a run then go walking for a llloooonnngggg time and track with with the app. You'll see what walking really does :)
  • spartan_d
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's not great exercise. It's good and certainly worth doing, but be wary whenever someone says that it's "great exercise." As others have said, it will certainly help burn some calories, but it won't provide a lot of cardiovascular benefit.

Don't get me wrong. I would never discourage you from adding some walking to your program. It can be helpful for crosstraining or for days when your legs are too sore from previous workouts. And of course, it can be enjoyable in other respects. Just don't expect it to work wonders.

Personally, I advise people to think of walking, dancing, housework, etc as "activity" and to think of more vigorous work as "exercise." Obviously, there is a blurry line between the two. However, thinking in that manner has helped me focus on pushing myself more while maintaining an otherwise active lifestyle.

You are obviously expressing your opinion based on your health level, age, and fitness. You should not make such cast in stone declarations for others. My wife is older, has asthma, COPD, and would love to walk. For her it definitely would be "great" exercise because about one block is all she can do.

Sigh. Most peope understand that there are going to be exceptions. A very elderly person might not be able to run, for example. Nor would someone with serious joint problems or osteoporosis. I certainly wouldn't expect those people do to vigorous exercise.

For the vast majority of people though -- that is, as a general rule -- walking is exercise, but not great exercise. For people with serious health problems, it might admittedly be their best option. Even in such situations though, I wouldn't say that walking is great. Rather, it may simply be one of the better options available. I think most people can understand that distinction.
    The fact is, walking is a great exercise for most people. It is very beneficial to the cardiovascular system and has a low risk of injury.
    For most people? I cannot agree with that. It is good and indeed beneficial, but it's the sort of thing that produces diminishing returns very quickly. Also, unlike other activities that most people can do -- strength training, interval training, and so forth -- its results are fairly modest. It can help with calorie burning, especially for beginners, and it certainly beats sitting on the couch. Compared to most other forms of exercise though, these benefits are fairly modest.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Sigh. Most peope understand that there are going to be exceptions. A very elderly person might not be able to run, for example. Nor would someone with serious joint problems or osteoporosis. I certainly wouldn't expect those people do to vigorous exercise.

For the vast majority of people though -- that is, as a general rule -- walking is exercise, but not great exercise. For people with serious health problems, it might admittedly be their best option. Even in such situations though, I wouldn't say that walking is great. Rather, it may simply be one of the better options available. I think most people can understand that distinction.
    For most people? I cannot agree with that. It is good and indeed beneficial, but it's the sort of thing that produces diminishing returns very quickly. Also, unlike other activities that most people can do -- strength training, interval training, and so forth -- its results are fairly modest. It can help with calorie burning, especially for beginners, and it certainly beats sitting on the couch. Compared to most other forms of exercise though, these benefits are fairly modest.

Totally agree with you. I like walking but find that the calorie burn for a two mile brisk walk is so small that a candy bar after will more than nullify the 2 mile walk. I walk with a 40 pound weight vest for additional leg workout.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    You're my kind of guy.

BTW, I should emphasize that I used to do a lot of walking in my early days of getting in shape. It absolutely helped, and I do still incorporate some walking nowadays. At the time though, I was too naive to realize just how modest its benefits were in comparison to more demanding forms of exercise. I wish I had learned that lesson a lot sooner.
  • rianoel
    rianoel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    All I do is walk (pushing a stroller, which MPF clearly has no clue about.). It's wonderful for people who are NOT fit gymrats. Great way to start. Also, it's lowered my resting heart rate from ~90 beats a minute to 60. So there's plenty of cardiovascular payoff. I have spine injuries that prevent me from "enhancing" my walk, so I can't speak to that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    mis_linzi wrote: »
    Yes. I suppose its pretty hard work: And not to open a can of worms but I smoke so It can get pretty uncomfortable. I just find my self making excuses to not ever do it, and I feel like when I do exercise I look ridiculous. I shouldnt care eh.

Yeah, don't worry about looking ridiculous, come on, it's your health.

That said of course walking's good.

My question: why is exercise uncomfortable? Does that happen when you go over a certain heart rate and have to breathe deeply? Does it feel like your chest is being squeezed, or do you wheeze? Not trying to give you a hard time, but it might be worth getting that checked out. An inhaler might help.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise gradually start upping your speed even if just for 30 seconds to a minute every couple minutes. Good Luck
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

The key is to increase challenge. You can make things harder by walking faster, or up hills, or by going for longer periods, or mixing all that up in various ways.

But it's a super safe activity for most and it's the kind of thing people can easily weave into their days.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    rianoel wrote: »
    All I do is walk (pushing a stroller, which MPF clearly has no clue about.). It's wonderful for people who are NOT fit gymrats. Great way to start. Also, it's lowered my resting heart rate from ~90 beats a minute to 60. So there's plenty of cardiovascular payoff. I have spine injuries that prevent me from "enhancing" my walk, so I can't speak to that.

I trained for a marathon pushing the kids in a stroller. Lots and lots of stroller time.

But walking with a stroller is good exercise too. Or just walking.

Is running, or weight, or high intensity interval training (HIIT) more optimum? Sure for people who can handle the high impact or don't hate it so much that they avoid it. I think the original poster should not let the perfect solution (stuff listed above) be the obstacle to a good solution. If she enjoys walking, and can stick with it - keep it up! You will improve your metabolism and like the poster above improve your health.

I would suggest a tracker (I love my new Fitbit Surge) to help motivate you, you'll see how many steps you took or if you're using the GPS function how far you went and try and do better. Also suggested were the poles for Nordic walking, a great total body workout. In addition consider using some hiking trails to add some beauty and interest to your walks when able.

Keep up the good work!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,197 Member
    Options
    Wear weighted vest and go hiking.

I'd rather go with a backpack on a long hike.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a fine exercise. I've been doing roughly 15kms everyday.
    As for losing weight with just walking. .. My husband worked away for 2mths. Part of his job entailed walking up and down a flat jetty every day. Nothing else changed food wise etc etc

Anyway long story short. When he came back everyone thought he was ill as he had lost so much weight.
    So YES!!! Walking does help you lose weight :smile:
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes. It counts as exercise. I second using a tracking app like MapMyWalk, but don't put too much faith in what it is telling you as far as calories burned. Just try to make your walk as intense as possible, this means adding elevation/hills and/or increasing your speed.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise. For maximum benefit walk faster and/or longer.
    I think I can speak to some authority to this. Prancercise is a workout specifically developed for this issue. Watch below.

https://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew

If I did that I am sure I would be mugged and beaten to a pulp! :p

You can do the same thing in your house in front of a television and not get mugged and beaten to a pulp, hah!