TDEE HELP

Options
Please explain it too me like I am some five year old. I get overwhelmed with numbers and easily stressed. I'm just looking too lose fat, make lean muscle gains, and lose those inches. The link I found on the pinned page for TDEE would not load for me.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the total calories you burn in a day including all calories burned from exercise.

So...

If you eat at TDEE level you won't gain or lose weight.
  • kashago2226
    Options
    OH alright. What do I eat for fat loss?
  • kashago2226
    Options
    I'm assuming below that level.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That is correct.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Erm, no. It's not that simple. Eat less than your TDEE and you'll lose weight. But where that weight loss comes from - ie fat or muscle - is a bit more complicated.

The best approach is to incorporate some weight training/ lifting into your exercise routine, and keep your protein intake high. This will help you preserve your muscle mass, and lose the fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes and typically it's based on percentages. 20% being the max suggested...20% typically is about 1lb a week as long as you are not obese.

for example my current TDEE is 2k (winter time less active) so I am trying to lose a few extra pounds so I took off 10%=1/2lb a week..hence why my diary is at 1800 and I don't eat back exercise calories.

Later this summer because I am more active with cardio my TDEE will go up to 2400 and again I will adjust my intake to around 2200 to continue to lose and adjust again in Nov/Dec back down to what it is then.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

Yup. This is called "maintaining a calorie deficit."

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Please explain it too me like I am some five year old. I get overwhelmed with numbers and easily stressed. I'm just looking too lose fat, make lean muscle gains, and lose those inches. The link I found on the pinned page for TDEE would not load for me.

In that case, don't overcomplicate it. Just (as accurately as you can) put your numbers and activity level into MFP and try to eat to those numbers. That said, the protein goal given by MFP is ridiculously low. I don't know your stats, but generally I'd advise eating 100 g or more of protein each day. Actually, I'd advise doing some math - but I don't want to overwhelm and stress you. :)

Get in some exercise (preferably some mix of cardio and strength) - pretty much whatever you like and will consistently do - and eat back at least half of those Calories you earn from exercise (MFP's Calorie burns often seem inflated - that's why I'm recommending half or so). See how you've done over the course of 4-6 weeks, and adjust, if necessary. If you've lost a bit more than you've expected - eat a little more. If you've lost a bit less than expected, eat a little less. The easiest way to adjust will probably be to eat back more or fewer of your earned Calories from exercise. If you've lost about what you've expected (assuming you are looking to lose 1 lb per week - if you've lost 5-8 lbs over 6 weeks) then don't change anything, as you're basically on track.

• TR0berts
    Options
    Or, possibly better yet - join this MFP group and get some very good and detailed advice/guidance from SS and Sara:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

• syedumairtelecom
    syedumairtelecom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Add me

All females on your FL?

Yeah, OP - don't.