I want to loose 7 lbs a week

Options
lcflor
lcflor Posts: 20 Member
While I understand the recommended safe max weight loss is 2 lbs a week I'm aiming high I have a long way to go and I will adjust but for now I think I can....any suggestions?

Replies

• montstrocity
    Options
    7 lbs is a lot, what is your goal timeline?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yup, I suggest you adjust your expectations.

Someone who is VERY obese might lose 7lbs their first week, mostly due to water weight. But to lose 7lbs of fat, you would need to burn roughtly 24,500 calories more than you eat in that week which, unless you eat nothing but lettuce and do 5 hours a day on the elliptical*, is not going to happen.

You didn't gain the weight at that rate, so don't even dream you will lose it that fast. Not to mention that if it was possible, and you managed it, you'd look like a deflated balloon.

* this is not a legitimate suggestion
  • lcflor
    Options
    I hear you and you right, I did this to myself and is not the first time around or the second. I have over 100 lbs to loose and I've done it b4 with atkins but that's not working for me anymore I may have completely "broken my metabolism with all the up and downs. Thanks for your feedback!
  • lcflor
    Options
    7 lbs a week for maybe the first 3-4 weeks is what I was hoping for?
  • louderry
    louderry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aim for 2 lbs a week much more achievable and more likely to keep the weight off than crash dieting x
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Be realistic. Dramatic losses usually result in greater chances of gaining it back quicker and most times with more gained. Would you rather hit a number fast or do it slow, healthy and keep it off?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady will win this battle. Even with 100lbs to lose you may only see a huge drop the first couple of weeks, but if you follow something that you can allow you to lose a little more slowly and not feel deprived you will be more likely to stick with it for the long term which is what you want.

read through the Success Stories, there are some with amazing results but it takes time
  • Beanessa
    Beanessa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I want 32Ds...

What everyone else said. I'll also add that while seven pounds in a week might be possible, you have to consider if it's sustainable.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    lcflor wrote: »
    While I understand the recommended safe max weight loss is 2 lbs a week I'm aiming high I have a long way to go and I will adjust but for now I think I can....any suggestions?
    You might want to do the math on that one.

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Readjust your expectations. Otherwise you'll disappoint yourself early on and give up. Don't do that to yourself. Set a reasonable goal, and be persistent. The weight will come off if you keep working. You didn't put on 7 lbs a week, I guarantee it. So don't expect to lose it that quickly...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unless you're ready to join the Biggest Loser on TV and live with no distractions, raising children, working, etc. it's probably not going to happen. And even with them, they are monitored by doctors and health staff 24/7. Can't have someone die on the show.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • montstrocity
    Options
    Plus, you will feel great about yourself if you end up loosing more than 2 lbs in a week.

Most likely the reason you are having trouble loosing this time is because of the yo yo dieting. Sometimes the first few weeks you will not see a significant difference on the scales, but you may feel the difference, especially if you are exercising. Keep going and don't loose motivation. A few years ago I had 20 to 30 pounds to loose. I cut calories and fats in half, and increased exercise, but my weight did not budge for 3 weeks. Then I lost 5 lbs in the fourth week.

You got this!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Adjust your expectations. Strive for 2. You may get around 5 or so the first few weeks then it will taper off. Eat like you want to the rest of your life, not like you're trying to lose weight.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    7 lbs a week for maybe the first 3-4 weeks is what I was hoping for?

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. You might get that in the very first week, but you won't get it after that. 7 pounds is completely unrealistic without removing body parts. Even if you manage to succeed the first week, I highly doubt that weight will stay off.

Your best bet is to do this the right way and slowly.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose 7lbs in a week, but I see from your pic you have a young baby/toddler. You need some energy in that week and so I cannot advise anyway of getting to shed 7lbs without wanting to nap, taking your eye off the ball or feeling crap.......not worth it.
    Think hare and tortoise.......
  • lcflor
    Options
    I hear you dufus12.... she is my #1 priority after all... patience is not one of my best qualities but I'll b working on that along with this 100 lbs I need to loose.
  • BCinSC
    BCinSC Posts: 2
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. 2 pounds a week will put you at your goal around Easter next year. You can have so much fun chasing your kiddlin's around during the Easter egg hunt at your goal. You can do it!!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

There's many things I want that aren't going to happen to. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was 7 also. Maybe step back and be a little realistic and come into the real world. Have a look at the sexy pants post in 'getting started' that will give you sensible and realistic goals
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A safe rate of weight loss is no more than 1% of your body weight. So if you weigh 350 pounds you could safely lose as much as 2.5 pounds per week at first.