Lose weight but not muscle? Help!

Options
I've recently inflamed my sciatica (first time back at squats 1.5 years later) and I'm in incredible pain again so I have to lay off the gym until I can walk. In the meantime, I want to lose fat through diet and from another post, was told to track calories with an app. I signed up to myfitnesspal app and have tracked all the food I ate today. I chose the aggressive lose 2lb a week option and it's only allowing me 1500 calories per day. This morning alone I ate 1100.

My question: given that I can't exercise, how many calories would you suggest I should consume daily in order to lose fat BUT NOT muscle? I'm guessing upping my protein ratio would be the way to go.

Second question: what ratio or protein/carbs/fat would you suggest given my circumstance?

I'm 35yo male broad shoulders/big frame, currently weighing 200lb, 6'1", 32 pant size (if that helps). My goal is 185lb, I bench 245, I don't squat or deadlift due to sciatica, I exercise 5 days a week.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, up your protein ratio. One of the reasons that a 1-2 lb loss per week is recommended is to maintain lean muscle while losing fat. I'm pretty limited myself when it comes to exercise, and one thing that can help is to try a macro ratio of 30/40/30 for carbs/protein/fat.
    Since you only have 15 lbs. to lose, you need to back off the aggressive goal to 1 lb. per week. 2 lbs. per week is too high for such a low goal.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica too. Use the arm cycle at your gym. Burns calories and won't flare up your sciatica.
  • kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This might be an aggressive approach, but I would recommend intermittent fasting and primal nutrition until you get back on your feet. Heres how it would work; allow yourself a 6 hour eating "window," were you can eat your food from say 2pm-8pm. This usually results in feeling very full and satisfied which'll prevent you from overindulging. Its also incredibly convenient because you can go through your day and when you get home you can eat. The fasting will also result in a rise in growth hormone which will preserve muscle while simultaneously stimulating lipolysis (along with a host of other health benefits). Macros would be (good) Carbs 10%, Protein 40 and (healthy) fats 50.
    You could play with the macros but I wouldn't take carbs past 20 imo. If you can't make it through a fast every day, then just do it once or twice a week with the same macros. Good luck.
  • PeterRz
    PeterRz Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @amyrebecca When you can barely walk, it's hard to do any exercise. But since last week, it's getting better and I'll try the pool tomorrow.

@mccindy72 I decided to try a 30/25/45 (carb/fat/protein) over the past few days. Got a little overly motivated w my protein ratio... :p And Im quickly learning that to hit the 45% protein ratio is a tad extreme. Yesterday, I managed to hit an even 30/30/40, and so far today, Im at 29/32/39 (almost the same as yesterday), so I'm switching to the 30/30/40 ratio as you and others have suggested. I'm stubborn and have to learn through experimentation. Oh, I did manage to bomb my first day calorie intake (went over by 500 cals) and so decided to switch to a 1.5lb/day approach, which hasn't been a problem yesterday and so far on track today. Will give it a week and see how I do.

@techgal128 Yes but I think it would also reduce my current muscle.

@kriegmeister I did the IF diet a couple years back for several months and I didn't mind it. It did work if I recall, but I got some/most of the weight back shortly after stopping. I decided to read up on it again as a refresher and found clinical studies proving that although it doesn't help people keep weight off (shortly after quitting the IF, your body wants to bounce back to its comfort zone weight), there is clinical evidence that it helps prolong life span and is useful for fighting cancer. I'd have to see a study that proves the IF approach is sustainable... right now, there isn't anything claiming that... the opposite actually. There's just too much junk science and blogs/articles claiming they have the answer without any proof. And I don't count one person's experience/results as proof that it will work on others. I've learned that what works for one person may not work at all for another. Tim Ferris is a good example of this with his 4 hour body book (and to be clear, I do admire him for his intentions/drive/entrepreneurship). What do you think?
  • NLR0207
    NLR0207 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had chronic back pain that I've managed for years with exercise. It had progressively gotten worse, affecting my sleep, etc. I wasn't motivated to work out and wanted to drink, sit on the couch and eat unlike ever before. I didn't realize how much this gradual pain was sucking the life out of me - literally. I gained about 30 pounds in 2 years and it also aggravated the situation. I want to prolong back surgery as long as possible. My doctor recommended paint management, and each month since February, I've gotten a steroid/epidural shot right in my pain area. It has helped more than I ever imagined. I'm motivated, energetic and on my way to joyfully losing weight, doing things I love that used to really cause me pain, such as rollerblading, jumping on mini trampoline, sprints, etc. I have a high-pain tolerance and didn't want to keep whining about my back pain. Chronic pain, like yours, sabotages your health & routine. I'm not suggesting you should get injections- just do something to alleviate your pain in a healthy way! :) Good luck!