I want to loose 7 lbs a week

Options

Replies

• letsjustgetitdone
    letsjustgetitdone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your body can only lose 2 pounds of FAT per week. It's scientifically true. If you lose more, you are losing water and muscle. You do not want to lose muscle. Ease up on your expectations...just take it slow and steady. Chances are you didn't put the weight on overnight, and it will take a while to get off healthfully. Good luck! ;)
  • fitnesskate90
    fitnesskate90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend aiming your goals at that nor is it realistic or sustainable for the long term. You might lose that in the first week or two MAYBE but this would more just be water weight, etc. and then it's going to taper down a few pounds a week at most, and you will have weeks where you will see a plateau and not lose anything at all despite doing all of the right things. Like everyone else said, you did not put on 100 extra pounds overnight and unfortunately you are not going to lose it quickly either. Unless you plan on starving yourself to lose that weight (which you will end up gaining it all back plus some), I would aim at 1 to 2 pounds per week and work on cleaning up your diet and becoming more active. You have to properly fuel and hydrate your body to lose weight. If you're truly doing this for the right reasons and not as some crash diet but to live a healthier lifestyle, then realize this will take time and is a LIFELONG process. Good luck; if you go about it the right way, results will come and you will feel and look much better as you're working towards your goal.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    HMVOL7409 wrote: »
    Be realistic. Dramatic losses usually result in greater chances of gaining it back quicker and most times with more gained. Would you rather hit a number fast or do it slow, healthy and keep it off?

The statistics are staggeringly against keeping the weight off, no matter how fast you lose it. Slow and steady does not guarantee that anyone will keep it off.

You will need patience to achieve your goal, and 7 pounds lost in one week is possible, maybe even for a few weeks, but it will slow down. More realistic expectations may be 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. You can do this, and if you log honestly every thing you eat and drink, and stay within your daily calorie amount, you will lose. Before you know it, you will be seeing results that will help keep you moving forward.

• lcflor
    lcflor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend aiming your goals at that nor is it realistic or sustainable for the long term. You might lose that in the first week or two MAYBE but this would more just be water weight, etc. and then it's going to taper down a few pounds a week at most, and you will have weeks where you will see a plateau and not lose anything at all despite doing all of the right things. Like everyone else said, you did not put on 100 extra pounds overnight and unfortunately you are not going to lose it quickly either. Unless you plan on starving yourself to lose that weight (which you will end up gaining it all back plus some), I would aim at 1 to 2 pounds per week and work on cleaning up your diet and becoming more active. You have to properly fuel and hydrate your body to lose weight. If you're truly doing this for the right reasons and not as some crash diet but to live a healthier lifestyle, then realize this will take time and is a LIFELONG process. Good luck; if you go about it the right way, results will come and you will feel and look much better as you're working towards your goal.

Thank you ... I do want to do it and this time for the last time. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • lcflor
    Options
    HMVOL7409 wrote: »
    Be realistic. Dramatic losses usually result in greater chances of gaining it back quicker and most times with more gained. Would you rather hit a number fast or do it slow, healthy and keep it off?

The statistics are staggeringly against keeping the weight off, no matter how fast you lose it. Slow and steady does not guarantee that anyone will keep it off.

You will need patience to achieve your goal, and 7 pounds lost in one week is possible, maybe even for a few weeks, but it will slow down. More realistic expectations may be 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. You can do this, and if you log honestly every thing you eat and drink, and stay within your daily calorie amount, you will lose. Before you know it, you will be seeing results that will help keep you moving forward.

Ok working on my patience... but I'll be honest with my intake, I'll work out, move and work on being happy with the small accomplishments! Thanks for the feedback!
  • lcflor
    Options
    Your body can only lose 2 pounds of FAT per week. It's scientifically true. If you lose more, you are losing water and muscle. You do not want to lose muscle. Ease up on your expectations...just take it slow and steady. Chances are you didn't put the weight on overnight, and it will take a while to get off healthfully. Good luck! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
  • lcflor
    Options
    A safe rate of weight loss is no more than 1% of your body weight. So if you weigh 350 pounds you could safely lose as much as 2.5 pounds per week at first.

I have to drill that in head... im working on that. ..but thanks for the encouragement!
  • lcflor
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    lcflor wrote: »
    While I understand the recommended safe max weight loss is 2 lbs a week I'm aiming high I have a long way to go and I will adjust but for now I think I can....any suggestions?

There's many things I want that aren't going to happen to. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was 7 also. Maybe step back and be a little realistic and come into the real world. Have a look at the sexy pants post in 'getting started' that will give you sensible and realistic goals

Lol I get your point isulo :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Only 7? What held you back from losing it overnight?
  • Alex37166
    Alex37166 Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have experienced a lot of things in the past year with my weight loss, and I have sensitivities to some food, which can help and hinder. I have learned to adjust. Everyone has different outcomes and have the foods that they like and dislike, but the only way to succeed in a healthy and effective way is to slowly lose the weight. I lost 50 lbs in the last 11 months and have 10 more lbs to go. There may be weeks where you stay the same or gain a lb or so, but that is the up and downs of naturally losing weight. Support can be a great way of encouraging and getting the positive outcome that you want, but physically doing it is the true road to the actual thing. If you need any guidance, then let me know. A balance (no more than the guideline of what you need) in protein, carbs, calories and fiber is most important, in my opinion. Good luck!
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey this time. I say that because I have gained and lost 100's of lbs in my adult lifetime. I was 450 lbs in August of 2014 and felt totally desperate. I started this just by walking and I ate 2100 calories per day. I was not focused on the weight loss numbers each week. I focused on making each day the best I could do. Since August I have lost 146 lbs. I am here to tell you that you can do this.

It's a little dangerous to put those kinds of expectations on yourself. I would encourage you to think about "why" you want to get healthy. I call it Why power. We can't count on willpower to carry us through the tough days but why power will. Feel free to add me for additional support. I understand the desperation that comes with having a lot to lose. Good luck with your journey. Remember they call it a journey for a reason.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey-- despite what lots of people are saying, I just want to wish you luck, and hope that you achieve what you are aiming for. Remember, the mere fact that you want to do something about your weight is the important thing. Celebrate whatever you lose in a week, whether it's 7 lbs. or not!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Only 7? What held you back from losing it overnight?
    Ooh, I do love a sarcasm queen!! Funny......but so true..! I would like to lose my 30lbs in a week, hell, overnight; guess what??? not going to happen,,,,,,,sad, but true.......
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Readjust your expectations. This isn't the biggest loser, it's real life.

Even for the extremely obese, pulling off 7 lbs/week is extremely hard to do, let alone sustain.
  • lcflor
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Readjust your expectations. This isn't the biggest loser, it's real life.

Even for the extremely obese, pulling off 7 lbs/week is extremely hard to do, let alone sustain.

Will do Nick, thank you!
  • lcflor
    Options
    Hey-- despite what lots of people are saying, I just want to wish you luck, and hope that you achieve what you are aiming for. Remember, the mere fact that you want to do something about your weight is the important thing. Celebrate whatever you lose in a week, whether it's 7 lbs. or not!

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, I appreciate it.
  • lcflor
    Options
    Btbeam wrote: »
    When I started this journey this time. I say that because I have gained and lost 100's of lbs in my adult lifetime. I was 450 lbs in August of 2014 and felt totally desperate. I started this just by walking and I ate 2100 calories per day. I was not focused on the weight loss numbers each week. I focused on making each day the best I could do. Since August I have lost 146 lbs. I am here to tell you that you can do this.

It's a little dangerous to put those kinds of expectations on yourself. I would encourage you to think about "why" you want to get healthy. I call it Why power. We can't count on willpower to carry us through the tough days but why power will. Feel free to add me for additional support. I understand the desperation that comes with having a lot to lose. Good luck with your journey. Remember they call it a journey for a reason.

Btbeam, thank you so much! Ppl can be hard but it's ok, after all I'm over weight not a complete moron so I do understand the logics behind what they are saying, however u hit it right on the nose, that desperation feeling that can b so overwhelming. But I thank you for relating and your kind words. I'll deff add you, bc at the end I will succeed and have a great success story like you! Thank you and congrats on your success!
  • kishaross
    Options
    Yup, I suggest you adjust your expectations.

Someone who is VERY obese might lose 7lbs their first week, mostly due to water weight. But to lose 7lbs of fat, you would need to burn roughtly 24,500 calories more than you eat in that week which, unless you eat nothing but lettuce and do 5 hours a day on the elliptical*, is not going to happen.

You didn't gain the weight at that rate, so don't even dream you will lose it that fast. Not to mention that if it was possible, and you managed it, you'd look like a deflated balloon.

* this is not a legitimate suggestion

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The only way I can see you losing 7 lbs a week, consistently for 3- 4 weeks is if you were water fasting.... I know how you feel though. I'm aiming for 3 lbs a week right now.. And that's tough enough.

I support the slow and steady wins the race crowd though. Don't lose heart. You got this.

ETA: water fasting plus burning an extra 1000- 1500 calories daily. :neutral:
  • lcflor
    Options
    The only way I can see you losing 7 lbs a week, consistently for 3- 4 weeks is if you were water fasting.... I know how you feel though. I'm aiming for 3 lbs a week right now.. And that's tough enough.

I support the slow and steady wins the race crowd though. Don't lose heart. You got this.

Yeah and I'm not water fasting so that was the end of that :) thanks for the encouragement, I do got this! !!