swimming

Options
how good of an exercise is swimming? is it better than running/walking?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one you like and will keep doing. I'm a runner but also swim and would recommend them. However many people don't like them. Find something you enjoy that way you'll keep doing it
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great exercise. One nice thing is that there are many different ways to work out in the pool. Swim slowly and let your legs kinda dangle- like walking. Swim fast and kick hard - like running. Only neither will be hard on your joints!
  • Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    The best exercise is one you like and will keep doing.

This. Personally, I love swimming as a full body cardio exercise that's easy on joints and gives some resistance. And it's totally serene.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    The best exercise is one you like and will keep doing. I'm a runner but also swim and would recommend them. However many people don't like them. Find something you enjoy that way you'll keep doing it

This.

A wise person once said that swimming is the spinach of exercise. It's really good for you but a lot of people hate it. If you like it, go for it.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love swimming and love what it does for my fitness. It burns a lot and provides a full body workout in a way that running or walking doesn't. But as others have said, liking something goes farther than which one is 'best'.
  • jbivings
    jbivings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard swimming is s great workout because it uses the entire body. GO for it!!