Is this normal?

Options
I have been working out 6-8 times a week for about 3 weeks now, but I am feeling depressed? Is this normal for my body to react differently because of my change in lifestyle?

Also, any advice for combating the depression? I love working out and I love how I feel when I work out, but when I get home, i still feel fat and then get depressed which sometimes leads to emotional eating.

It's a vicious cycle, so any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• shannonichole
    shannonichole Posts: 126
    Options
    I workout to also combat depression and it helps. I found out doing group exercises (no matter how intimidating) has helped me the most. Try doing a fun workout class that has fast music.

Other then that, there is the age old suggestion that you might want to talk to your doctor to see if you can change any of your habits, like what you eat or vitamin intake to help. :flowerforyou:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be depriving yourself of nutrients or sleep.
    Ideas:
    Multivitamins (women's one a day or centrum are good)
    Omega-3 supplements (really improves hormonal balance)
    If you're on a low carb diet, consider adding some more complex carbs so you're not going cold turkey
    GO TO BED before 12am and get at least 8 hours of sleep for a couple nights in a row.
  • klamont9
    klamont9 Posts: 59
    Options
    6-8 times a week? At least take Sunday off. Give yourself a needed break!
  • carlye14
    carlye14 Posts: 53
    Options
    I workout Mon-Sat and sometimes do a second workout on a day or two. I do take Sundays off- I need it!
    6-8 times a week? At least take Sunday off. Give yourself a needed break!
  • carlye14
    carlye14 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I am taking a group spinning class twice a week, and I will look into the multivitamins!
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    Options
    Oh you are so close to your goal. Hang in there and hold your head high. Those last few pounds are a killer and you shouldn't let THEM affect you. I hope things begin looking up for you.

tricia
  • VickyisaStar
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to share with you that i've experienced what you're going through many times. Living alone gives me alot of time to come home and be caught up in my own thoughts and then emotionally eat to make myself feel better.

I then became aware of my thought patterns that when i got home, i was focusing on why the fat wasn't gone yet rather than congratulating myself on going to the gym.

I changed this by having an activity that i'd enjoy or something that i'd be looking forward to (that doesn't involved food) when i got home. For example on the weekends when i'd finish a workout, i'd make sure i'd just go home, get changed and then treat myself to watching a movie or reading a book.

I found my focus would change when i got home because i'd be looking forward to something else rather than focusing on why i was still fat.

Maybe try that. Good luck and please let us know how you go with all these tips!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Besides here who are you talking to about this? Do you have some close friends you can just ***** to and let it all hang out?

Feelings are, IMO, generally uncontrollable in the sense of I've never been able to make myself stop feeling something. I can control my behavior (for the most part, as long as you keep the chips and salsa away), but a feeling is just that - feeling.

If it continues for a long time, or gets particularly bad, then look for more support from people who can listen to you and offer help. (Not an advertisement, just what I'm doing.) I'm involved in a long-term group for my own recovery. Talking with peers and with professionals has helped me make a slow climb back to stability and a feeling of control. And, changing my lifestyle has helped, too. Losing weight, exercising, seeing changes - these are all things that help me feel better, but they don't _make_ me feel better. I'm in it for the long haul, and I recognize it as a journey where some days I feel fantastic and others I feel like I'm barely going to make it.

This is really a truism, but if you're feeling down or lonely or afraid or any of those bad feelings, and food is your comfort, taking away food won't make it any better, and binge-ing on food simply adds to the shame and guilt. So while I say this very carefully and respectfully, really see if you can get some people you can share your feelings with when they happen - not people who will tell you that you "shouldn't feel that - you're so successful!" but people who can just listen to you and really comprehend what you're saying.

Good luck.

And normal is just a setting on the dryer. I don't put much stock in that label. Why, some people call _me_ normal. Go figure.
  • beautysofa
    beautysofa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us anything about your diet?
    If it's not something missing in your nutrition (such as Omega 3 fats, B vitamins, amino acids, chromium), it may also be the fact that you're training too hard and too frequently and exhausting yourself.
  • 17Chan
    17Chan Posts: 10
    Options
    I found that fruit smoothies with whey protein helped. I drink one every morning for breakfast. I'm someone who is very prone to severe depression, and this worked for me.
    Omega-3s and multivitamines are also good ideas. I'd like to take those too, but my husband doesn't let me.