I'm logging food right but consistently missing my protein goal

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cans of tuna and eggs. I really don't think anything beats these two when it comes to protein and price.

Tuna is high in mercury. Salmon has more calories but still good for protein and fat.

Even though Tuna is lower calorically than salmon... are you guys sure that 100g tuna with 20g protein is only 50cal? The protein would be 80cal by itself.

(all canned, per 100g)
    tuna skipjack 103cal/22g protein
    tuna yellowfin 109 ca;/24g protein
    salmon sockeye 229/21g protein,
    salmon pink 153/26g protein

I personally think that (Canadian) Greek yogurt is, like, a wonder-food!
    Danone's Oikos 0% plain Greek Yogurt with 100cal per 175 gram and 18g protein is my favourite. Yoplait's 0% plain Greek Yogurt comes in a clear second with the same stats (just 1g less protein). Kirkland's has the same stats too. However both are less thick and less tasty than Oikos!
    Olympic's Krema looks better on paper with 22g protein; but, it tastes like *kitten*, so definitely NOT recommended!

Some ideas? http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Tinned sardines
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree about greek yoghurt....I add flavoured protein powder to mine which gives me 39 grams of protein for 393 calories, you could lower the calories by using low fat greek yoghurt...I personally use the full fat one. Boiled eggs...cheese...quests bars are 21 grams of protein per bar. I am from australia and we have protein ice cream here...kinda pricey but it is like 24 grams of protein for 130 calories...Im guessing if we have protein ice cream here in the us and canada (not sure where you are) they would have such a thing ... the brand we have here is called whey whip.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »
    I make an egg salad that I really like.

Equal parts (by weight) boiled egg and small curd cottage cheese then I add dijon mustard and horseradish. Sometimes curry or smoked paprika as well.

A 100 gram serving is 138 calories and 13g protein.

That's with the full fat cottage cheese.

Not a fan of cottage cheese but this actually sounds good!!

• Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites to my scrambled eggs in the morning to up the protein content, I use Whey Protein to up my protein on days that I know I'm going to work hard, Greek yogurt, black beans, lean meats, chick peas...the list goes on and on.
  • TeresaMarie2015
    TeresaMarie2015 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It may not be for you - but when faced with a similar challenge, I opted to blend 3-4 ounces of tofu into 4-6 ounces of non-fat yogurt for breakfast. I have this every day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I added yogart, protein bars (my essential) and shakes that i make at home w banana. skim milk and powder protien powder from trader joes. both very affordable. I added more meats to my already meated dinners but I dont need the extra calories so I then backed off a bit from that.
  • jonpat21
    jonpat21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating?
    How many grams of protein are you eating?

Daily calorie intake for me is 2320 but after Insanity workouts I can easily have 300 to 800 calories left in a day. My daily protein goal is 141 grams which I only manage to get to about 110 or around there. I'm trying to drop fat so I shoot for the least amount of calories. If that makes any sense.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt, fish, cottage cheese and beans.
  • jonpat21
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I like Greek yogurt, fish, cottage cheese and beans.

I eat Greek yogurt just about everyday. I'm not real handy in the kitchen what kind of fish? And do you eat just beans plain?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Edamame

Milk 2 Go sport - 26 g protein 200 calories
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Tuna. Protein shakes. Chicken breasts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find by incorporating protein in every meal, every snack it's pretty easy to hit the protein goal. Premier Protein from Costco has an impressive protein count (30g).

Eggs are obvious.
    Chicken breasts are obvious.
    Try black beans. There are some black bean dishes you can get in the deli or in the packaged food aisles that are very good.
    Hubby uses regular baked beans as a filler when I'm not around to cook for him.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are really cheap and a good source of protein.
  • mysilverventure
    mysilverventure Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Boy ... everything is making me hungry. Not! I'm new to the site, and i have been tracking my diet as well. Protain is hard to get enough except by eating red meats. I'm can only eat so much fish and chicken. With beans nothing sound good with out sauces or butter. Have not bought the protein shakes, but thats how i got fat as a teenager. That weight gain stuff.
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna in water is 100 calories per can, or 50 per serving. If I am low on protein, I will add this to my diet. I will down a cup of skim milk with a meal, 90 calories and 8g of protein, just to get a little extra protein in.
  • jonpat21
    Options
    Boy ... everything is making me hungry. Not! I'm new to the site, and i have been tracking my diet as well. Protain is hard to get enough except by eating red meats. I'm can only eat so much fish and chicken. With beans nothing sound good with out sauces or butter. Have not bought the protein shakes, but thats how i got fat as a teenager. That weight gain stuff.

From what I've learned yogurt and protein bars are a great alternative for the on the go lifestyle. I'm in the same boat by not hitting the protein goal, and I'm getting great feedback from all these guys and girls on this thread! Keep it up I'm sure it will pan out with hard work!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    tofu

No. Just no.

Tofu is low calorie, high protein, and budget friendly. Some people may not care for it. But that doesn't make it fit OP's request any less.

And honestly, it's about the same as egg whites in terms of flavor.

And it tastes like a well diggers *kitten*.