Anyone on a plant-based diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Guys, no. I am talking about PLANT BASED. No unnatural sugars (so no oreos for me), no processed foods, nothing like that. It is about healthy grains like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, healthy fats like avocado and hummus, healthy veggies and fruits, natural almond milk, legumes, and my favourite...sweet potatoes!

I am aware that calorie counting helps you lose weight, but it causes me to think about food a lot, when i could be thinking about other things. There is so much research and evidence that a plant based vegan diet can help your health in ways no other diet can!

I am not doing this to lose weight...I am doing it for compassionate and health reasons. I was simply just wondering if anybody else was on a plant based diets and what their results were. I didn't mean I was going to just start binging on vegan foods because that's obviously unhealthy!!!:/

Given this, consider joining the "eating to live" group on here. Lot's of plant based folks there (some vegetarian, some vegan, some "flexitarians"...).
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    You put words in my mouth that is not what I said. I hear tons of contradictory things between vegans all the time. Some eat legumes, others say they are bad. Some say things like honey, agave nectar, maple syrup are ok, others say they are bad. Some eat grains, others don't because they say they are bad. Some think cacao is a superfood others say it is toxic.

Not eating legumes isn't a vegan thing. I'm sure there are vegans who think they are unhealthy for whatever reason, but that has nothing to do with the vegan ideology. There are people who eat tons of animal products who consider legumes to be bad.

There is a vegan debate about honey, though the majority seems to land on honey not being vegan. Foods like maple syrup and sugar depend on the processing as to whether or not they are vegan. I've never heard of agave being a concern from the vegan perspective, but someone who is against sugar might argue about it.

The grains debate again has nothing to do with being vegan. Vegans don't consume animal products. Period. The rest of the food debating has nothing to do with that belief, and omnivores argue about the same ideologies (grains, legumes, too much sugar.)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You put words in my mouth that is not what I said. I hear tons of contradictory things between vegans all the time. Some eat legumes, others say they are bad. Some say things like honey, agave nectar, maple syrup are ok, others say they are bad. Some eat grains, others don't because they say they are bad. Some think cacao is a superfood others say it is toxic. The list goes on. Many vegans have no medical or biological background and usually get brainwashed by some health guru or some BS doctor. Not to mention how they get BS'd by marketers trying to push superfoods. When they look at studies they always put a spin on it or interpret it in such a way that it backs up their BS. You sound like another one of those diet cult followers. Why is it that vegan diets are incomplete? They lack sufficient protein and need to supplement many vital vitamins that are lacking in their diet. It is people like you that have these agendas where you want people to be like you and not eat meat so you twist stuff around. Continue to be ignorant. Every person has a right to choose what diet is best FOR THEM. That is not your decision. And just because you're a tree hugger you shouldn't BS people. Humans are omnivores. And yes, majority of vegans are women and nearly all of them are thin. There is a reason they are that size. And just by observation I do see many women starve themselves and get on these diets merely to maintain a figure that is desirable to a man. I used to hang out on vegan forums and would read these things. What a sad life. Sure, some of them eat this way for others reason but that is beside the point. The OP wanted an honest opinion not an ignorant one like yours.

I still eat a high veggie diet. I eat tons of herbs, edible weeds, nuts, seeds, legumes, seaweeds, and more. i do believe these foods are good for you. However, said on a vegan diet there is not enough protein. PERIOD.

What do legumes agave and maple syrup have to do with being vegan, or, more importantly, with the OPs question?

This post has so much silly nonsense. Never mind.
  • KittyWeidenbener
    KittyWeidenbener Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anyone here ever heard of Rich Roll? Look him up if you think you can't be an athlete and eat plant based.
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just switched to plant based, no sugar, no processed food or wheat. I was CICO weighing my food allowing for eggs, meat, cheese, bread and treats as long as it "fit my macros" for 50 days and lost what I consider to beat small amount of water weight in the very beginning. I switched up my workouts, increased/decreased calories- the scale would not move and clothes fit the same! Ive lost inches and pounds in one week of plant based and feel amazing. Oh and I currently eat about 600 calories more on average per day. ;) Good luck!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When you say "plant-based," I am assuming you mean "no meat." If that's what you mean, you can still overeat. Plenty of fat vegetarians. Not too many fat vegans, though. The ones I've known were always quite slim.

Oreos, pasta and all kinds of things that will increase your weight are OK for vegetarians, though. Easy to be fat and not eat meat.

Vegans can totally be fat. I gained my 30 extra pounds without any animal products at all. MFP has a whole community of vegans.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

So you blamed your vegan diet for overeating and being overweight, yet only weak skinny women are vegans? What?

You can absolutely be a healthy, strong, vegan. And I think most long term vegans are doing it for ethical reasons, not for appearance sake.

Preach, sister! :)

• janejellyroll
    Options
    @LAMCDylan , veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation. You need to drop your stereotypes and false assumptions. You are the one who sounds brainwashed. It also sounds like you have significant stereotypes about women.

Lots of us get sufficient protein.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Nope. I understand it totally and it happens to be truth. I have nothing against women. Just because it is the diet you choose it should not be forced on others. When it comes down to it, it becomes an issue on ethics and animal exploitation as you say. But you gotta remember not everyone shares the same views. I am passionate about animals and against any type of inhumane treatment of them. I am also a biologist. But I have to compromise. I need to eat some animal products to sustain my health. It's reality.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The last thing the vast majority of animals on this planet will see is the tonsils of the animal that is eating them alive.

It's rough out there...
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have nothing against women. Just because it is the diet you choose it should not be forced on other.

If you don't have anything against women, consider moderating the statements you make about them. You come across as biased.

Who said anything about forcing anyone? You seem to be bringing a lot of your own fears and anxieties to the discussion.