Elliptical Calories??

Hi everyone! I'm 5'6 and weigh 155. I'm on my elliptical 5 nights a week for an hour. I'm on the fat burn setting which is a level 7 incline and my pace is a 13.5 minute mile. On a good night I burn 380-400 calories. I thought that was good until I researched on Google and a couple websites say I should be burning between 600-700 calories in a hour?! What are you all burning on a elliptical in an hour and are you about my height and weight? Thank you!

Replies

• skylarwalsh
    skylarwalsh Posts: 9 Member
    What are you using to measure the calories? Is it the counter on the elliptical? I use a heart rate monitor to get my number of calories burned for workouts. Maybe look into that as a better counter?

Another thing to note, based on your height and weight, you aren't going to burn a whole lot. Those numbers are probably more for people in the overweight to obese ranges.
  • lilialley
    lilialley Posts: 15 Member
    I'm 5'4 and I weigh 150. The elliptical I use isn't exactly the same as yours - it's called an "Adaptive Motion Trainer" but it looks like an elliptical to me. I turn up the resistance to twenty (which is the highest setting for this particular machine) and I do about an 8.5 minute mile. The machine says it burns 800 calories an hour, but I can't vouch for the accuracy, since I don't have a HRM.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm 5'3" and 135lbs. According to my heart rate monitor I burn 300 calories in 30 minutes on my elliptical.
  • juls50505
    juls50505 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks! It looks like I need to check into a heart rate monitor...
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    I'm 5'7'' and 147 lbs I burn anywhere from 300-500 calories in an hour depending on if I do sprints or steady state (or if I'm too sore to push it for that long), I use a HRM most of the time but what my machine reads out is pretty close most of the time.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Are you curious so you can enter the cals and eat them back? or you just want to know?
    In terms of eating back, the machines have huge overestimations. So what I do is take 1/3 to 1/2 (a round number somewhere in there) and use that as how many cals I burned.

As for how many cals I actually burn.....no idea.