24 hour fasts almost everyday. Bad idea?

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea, and you need to stop doing this ASAP. Here's why:

When you eat, your body produces insulin. Insulin (basically) metabolizes carbs and fats, and regulates blood sugar. When you eat infrequently, or eat too many carbs/empty calories, or not enough saturated fats, you create a huge insulin spike. This results in fat storage and crappy nutrient absorption. It will also cause you to crash later on.

When you eat balanced (lean protein, **sat fats**, and low-glycemic carbs) and throughout the day, you maintain a nice balanced insulin level. This will keep your metabolism revving, keeping you energized, burning fat, and happy.

On top of that - insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning and lowest at night. Therefor you should taper your carb intake so that you have more early on (when you're more active) and then less as the day goes on.

Carbs = insulin respose
    Carbs+Protein = BIG insulin response

BUT

Add sat fats (olive oil, avocados, almonds) into the mix and it will significantly lower the insulin response. Always have fats with every meal.

People get so caught up in the numbers game with this app that they forget that there is far more going on biologically that affects your weight loss/gain results. Fasting once in awhile can definitely help you lose some quick fat, but fasting frequently is an unhealthy lifestyle. Your body needs a steady stream of nutrients, period.

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to. You may loose weight from it, but in the long run it is not healthy for the very reasons stated here. I used to do things like this to loose weight and now that I am older I am paying dearly for it. It is very dangerous to spike your glucose levels and then let it drop every day. You body needs a steady stream of small healthy meals throughout the day to be healthy and loose weight.

Nope
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea, and you need to stop doing this ASAP. Here's why:

When you eat, your body produces insulin. Insulin (basically) metabolizes carbs and fats, and regulates blood sugar. When you eat infrequently, or eat too many carbs/empty calories, or not enough saturated fats, you create a huge insulin spike. This results in fat storage and crappy nutrient absorption. It will also cause you to crash later on.

When you eat balanced (lean protein, **sat fats**, and low-glycemic carbs) and throughout the day, you maintain a nice balanced insulin level. This will keep your metabolism revving, keeping you energized, burning fat, and happy.

On top of that - insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning and lowest at night. Therefor you should taper your carb intake so that you have more early on (when you're more active) and then less as the day goes on.

Carbs = insulin respose
    Carbs+Protein = BIG insulin response

BUT

Add sat fats (olive oil, avocados, almonds) into the mix and it will significantly lower the insulin response. Always have fats with every meal.

People get so caught up in the numbers game with this app that they forget that there is far more going on biologically that affects your weight loss/gain results. Fasting once in awhile can definitely help you lose some quick fat, but fasting frequently is an unhealthy lifestyle. Your body needs a steady stream of nutrients, period.

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to. You may loose weight from it, but in the long run it is not healthy for the very reasons stated here. I used to do things like this to loose weight and now that I am older I am paying dearly for it. It is very dangerous to spike your glucose levels and then let it drop every day. You body needs a steady stream of small healthy meals throughout the day to be healthy and loose weight.

#deadwrongtoo
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have two camps here, Like oh so many things related to your body you will just have to do your own reserch and make your own descisions.

Personally I tend to look to how humans were designed to live in nature for my cues and that would suggest we eat when we can find food which in nature can be speratic, it explains why our fat storage ( insulin spike included ) and energy system work the way it does and why it takes 24-48 hours for hunger pangs to start as well as why going with no food for 24-48 hours actually increases your mental state. The system was designed to go without constant food and to be capable of expending energy to go look for it when you don't have any. Hense why hunger is such a driving force to get some food.

The problem with the insulin spike isn't that it is a hormone that aids in fat storage, that is exactly what you want it to do, the problem is eating to many calories and storing to much fat. *Obviously if you have a medical condition you are going to have to compensate for the insulin deal.

Anyhow, just my opinion, others are certainly entitled to theirs.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am so busy all day so I eat most of my calories (1700) right before bed. I have had no bad side effects except lack of energy during the day. I think it is better to space it out a little more especially because when you eat so much at once it's hard to tell when your full and if you are still hungry when your trying to maintain.

I think having little energy during the day is a very bad side effect. I have to think effectively at work, make decisions, communicate with people, and do all sorts of things during the day that require me to be in peak form.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Don't know if the OP has researched causes of being tired but I would not just assume it is her eating pattern.

Here is a good list of the usual suspects
    http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/why-so-tired-10-causes-fatigue
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If its about giving your body a break from digestion why dont you just eat foods that are easier for your body to digest?
    What do you eat in the mornings to make up all those calories? it might be pointless if you are eating foods that take your body alot of time and stress to digest
  • KiwiRobert
    KiwiRobert Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    IF can be great, but how the hell are you eating 1600 calories in a single sitting?

That's like a six-egg and cheese omelette, four slices of bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter and three slices of toast.

How do you do that? You're tiny.

I do IF three days per week but I have lunch and dinner, I find it works well, I don't feel hungry and I don't get tired. It might be worth trying that instead.
  • mamatothelils
    mamatothelils Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been fasting on and off for a few months...24 every day def sounds like a lot. What I do is 1 day a week as I feel up to it... The most 2 days and I drink a gallon of water each day. It works for me.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some contex, a prior post from the OP

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142627/how-to-recover-after-a-binge

If you are binge eating because you are tired and hungry of an evening I would say one meal a day isn't working for you.

If you are binge eating for other reasons, I would say you are using the one meal per day as a substitute for a binge.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You say its been working for you, but at the same time you're tired. Why not extend your eating window a few hours, for a couple of weeks to see if that helps you?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    For someone much older than you, it could perhaps be manageable. At your age, it smells like an eating disorder, sorry.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i would also miss the social aspect of eating, eating out with friends later in the day or in my case my husband.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    IF can be great, but how the hell are you eating 1600 calories in a single sitting?

That's like a six-egg and cheese omelette, four slices of bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter and three slices of toast.

I do IF three days per week but I have lunch and dinner, I find it works well, I don't feel hungry and I don't get tired. It might be worth trying that instead.

1600 calories in one sitting is not that hard.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

1600 calories in one sitting is not that hard.

co signed …

• anguslover21
    anguslover21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please, what is IF?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Please, what is IF?

intermittent fasting = IF
  • MaggiMoonwytch
    MaggiMoonwytch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This isn't IF. It's bingeing and starving. Intermittent fasting is one or 2 days a week. The clue is in the word intermittent. What you're doing sounds like a really bad idea to me. Think of the strain you're putting on your digestive system by shovelling all that food into an empty stomach.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you like it and it's working for you, and you're consistently getting the proper amount of calories, then it's probably fine.
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This isn't IF. It's bingeing and starving. Intermittent fasting is one or 2 days a week. The clue is in the word intermittent. What you're doing sounds like a really bad idea to me. Think of the strain you're putting on your digestive system by shovelling all that food into an empty stomach.

actually, there are many different variants of IF ..

there are some like 5:2 where you eat maintenance for five days and then fast two days..

or lean gains where you have a 14 to 18 hour fast window and a 10 to 6 hour eating window..

it would be helpful to read up on what IF is before commenting on it.

OP appears to be following the lean gains method where she eats all calories in morning and then fasts rest of the day ….that is not a binging cycle...
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP appears to be following the lean gains method where she eats all calories in morning and then fasts rest of the day ….that is not a binging cycle...

Yet it was only a few days ago that the OP posted a thread about recovering from a binge and that she hadn't binged for three weeks.

If the OP regularly binges its clear that the fasting isn't working for her or perhaps she is using the fasting method not for health benefits of IF but to binge 'legitimately'.