Weight fluctuating up a bit more then "normal"....muscle tone?

Hey all,

So I've been in maintenance a bit more then a month, and my weight has stayed from 150-153 lbs. I'm noticing a recent upward trend of a couple more lbs...despite tracking and despite trying a few solutions that have worked in the past (having a lower sodium day, having a day with less carbs, etc.)

I have in this past month also started becoming more active due to better weather. I am walking in my neighborhood a few miles a couple nights a week, and I am doing some circuit videos such as Jillian and Victorias Secret workouts. These involve some light weight training and calisthenics, squats, lunges, etc.

I'm not TOO worried because my TONE is already looking better and my measurements are down..but I'm surprised. Would this type of workout be enough strength training to cause muscle gains/scale increases? Or is it likely something else?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    It really depends on where you are starting from.
    As an example I spent 3 months on crutches with one leg dangling uselessly - 5" of muscle loss measured at quads. So just getting back to walking and everyday life was enough to start rebuilding muscle.

But in such as short space of time and doing light work as you have been doing it's unlikely to be actual muscle growth. A bit of "muscle pump" and perhaps soreness from the new activity is more likely.

When you are maintaining and get sudden changes would always suspect water weight rather than muscle or fat changes which are more slow and subtle.
  • Epicdemic93
    Epicdemic93 Posts: 1 Member
    Are you drinking enough water to keep up with the increased exercise and warmer weather?
    If not your body will start to retain water and that could be the result of the weight gain especially if the gain was sudden, so yes nothing to worry about. Just increase your water intake and your body will stop retaining it as it knows it's getting a constant sufficient supply.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    As an example I spent 3 months on crutches with one leg dangling uselessly - 5" of muscle loss measured at quads. So just getting back to walking and everyday life was enough to start rebuilding muscle.

But in such as short space of time and doing light work as you have been doing it's unlikely to be actual muscle growth. A bit of "muscle pump" and perhaps soreness from the new activity is more likely.

When you are maintaining and get sudden changes would always suspect water weight rather than muscle or fat changes which are more slow and subtle.

^^this
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Seeing more muscle and measurements decreasing means you're losing fat. "toning" is losing fat, not gaining muscle....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Yep.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited April 2015
    This month I also have went up in weight a bit. I am attributing mine to water weight since I have increased more strength training this month and also increasing my mileage on my runs. Here is my monthly weigh ins. I do track daily to watch for trends.1f16g66w5pfo.jpg
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Thank you everyone. I have heard of water retention with an increase of activity and strength training.

It is just always scary being in maintenance for me. I am after the lifestyle of being healthy...I don't want to go down this road a 4th time (first being for wedding, second after baby, and finally this last time following a stressful work change.)