Importance of Macros when Losing weight/Building Muscle

Options
memz1994
memz1994 Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi People,

I am a 20 Year old male who is 180cm tall and weighs 126kg which is about 275lbs. I have started my own program where I go to the Gym 3 times a week and I do Insanity 3 times a week. Im very happy with my exercise program unless you guys want to recommend something else?

Anyway, while Im doing all this I have also changed my diet completely. For breakfast I eat one wholemeal bread with two eggs, tomato, black olives, white chesse (only 40grams) and tea with no sugar. As for Lunch and Dinner, I pre-cook all my meals on Sunday. So for lunch I will have 250grams of chicken breast with brocoli and carrots (boiled) and for dinner ill have 200grams of Goat meat with brocoli and carrots (boiled).
This type of eating hits my Macro targets in order to lose weight and gain the muscle I want. However, I am nearly at the end of my first week and it is extremely hard to maintain all this. I mean, I feel ill when I see the chicken breast or goat meat. Its just disgusting after a while.

My question is:

Could I still build a great muscular and lean physique by eating what I want to eat but still hitting my protein intake goal of 150-170grams and calorie goal of 1800? I wont be eating junk all day ofcourse but I will like to eat what I want with healthy decisions.

When answering this question please keep in mind my goal which is to lose weight and build muscle. I want to drop to 85-90KG. Also, if there is anything you guys recommend please feel free!

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Other than a bit of newbie gains, you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Do one than the other.

And yes, definitely eat other things, unless you plan on dying of boredom from eating chicken, goat and the same veg every day for the rest if your life....!

Maybe find some pals on here with similar calorie and macro goals to get some food ideas?
  • memz1994
    Options
    TatistockToad, thanks for the reply mate.

I am a completely newbie, however, from all the youtube videos I have watched they say that I can build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

When you say do one at a time what do you mean? Shall I first lose the weight by just counting calories then build muscle with the macros? Please explain
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    memz1994 wrote: »

I am a completely newbie, however, from all the youtube videos I have watched they say that I can build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

When you say do one at a time what do you mean? Shall I first lose the weight by just counting calories then build muscle with the macros? Please explain

If you're new to lifting there will be some muscle gains, especially if you're a young guy, but not loads.

So the best way to go is cut, to lose fat, then bulk, to gain muscle (and some fat), then cut again etc etc.

Ideally you should watch calories and macros for both. And definitely keep lifting during both.

Maybe check out the gaining weight board for some more info on bulking.
  • memz1994
    Options
    memz1994 wrote: »

If you're new to lifting there will be some muscle gains, especially if you're a young guy, but not loads.

So the best way to go is cut, to lose fat, then bulk, to gain muscle (and some fat), then cut again etc etc.

Ideally you should watch calories and macros for both. And definitely keep lifting during both.

Maybe check out the gaining weight board for some more info on bulking.

Okay mate thanks

• Andytri38
    Andytri38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have a look on the nutrition/eating/meal discussion boards on here, there are stacks of good ideas that help break up eating menus
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Other than a bit of newbie gains, you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Do one than the other.

And yes, definitely eat other things, unless you plan on dying of boredom from eating chicken, goat and the same veg every day for the rest if your life....!

Maybe find some pals on here with similar calorie and macro goals to get some food ideas?

I second this. However, I enjoy eating "cleanly" so I mostly eat chicken, fish, and eggs just about every day. I follow IIFYM, so I can and sometimes do mix it up as long as I hit my macro numbers. And it works for me.
  • memz1994
    Options
    waldo11690 wrote: »

I second this. However, I enjoy eating "cleanly" so I mostly eat chicken, fish, and eggs just about every day. I follow IIFYM, so I can and sometimes do mix it up as long as I hit my macro numbers. And it works for me.

I think thats what Ill be doing. Ill keep eating healthy but add a few meals a day where it isnt just "meat and vegetables" but main priority will be to count my calories and try to hit my macro goals.