Keto Dieter but not losing weight?

Options
Hello! I've been doing keto for a short time.

When I very very first started it, I wasn't reaching my fat goal at all and found I was eating a lot of protein. But I did manage to lose something like 7lbs in the first week.

I picked up again from it and in the first week (last week) I lost 5lbs which is great, but since then, I actually gained 2lbs, although lost half an inch.. then gained it back the next day... then lost it again!!! - but i'm eating between 1300-1500 calories a day, i pretty much lived off salads for the past week, but the only thing I changed really was i wasn't drinking my 3L of water a day, i kept having to buy pre-packed salads from somewhere like Pret because I was at work and had to rush out, and I was a little more lenient with my foods so long as the carb count was under. i.e. sugar free jelly, a tad of sweetener in green tea etc.

is it possible that these sweeteners/additives are stopping me from losing weight? I've instantly started drinking my 3L a day. But also i'm finding it quite hard to find foods such as chorizo, prosciutto, even Philadelphia cream cheese that dont have some kind of additive in it. I'm wondering if additives are going to completely stall me?

Replies

• RhoRho2462
    RhoRho2462 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, additives of any kind will start a chemical reaction in your body and you will plateau.. However, how much exercise do you commit to per week? Very important that you incorporate that into your weight loss program. I too was on Keto and basically stopped about 2 weeks ago. Still eating low carb and reducing fat content and added tons of cardio! It's coming right off! Fast paced walking at about 3.8- 4.0 mph. I do approximately 7.50 miles 3 days a week and then add a couple more days with just 1 mile for each day. Being that we've been experiencing high desert winds recently, I refuse to walk outside! Lol! I then use my Bowflex tread climber and track calories burned on the jawbone pedometer and Bowflex built in pedometer to keep track of everything. I burn approx. 780-800 calories in approx. 80 minutes. I keep it at 3.5 miles and reduce speed to 3.3 alternating from those speeds every 10 minutes. Losing a lot of inches and weight is coming off. :) I put on my favorite TV programs and have a ball working out. It never bores me...
    :)
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options

When I very very first started it, I wasn't reaching my fat goal at all and found I was eating a lot of protein. But I did manage to lose something like 7lbs in the first week.

I picked up again from it and in the first week (last week) I lost 5lbs which is great, but since then, I actually gained 2lbs, although lost half an inch.. then gained it back the next day... then lost it again!!! - but i'm eating between 1300-1500 calories a day, i pretty much lived off salads for the past week, but the only thing I changed really was i wasn't drinking my 3L of water a day, i kept having to buy pre-packed salads from somewhere like Pret because I was at work and had to rush out, and I was a little more lenient with my foods so long as the carb count was under. i.e. sugar free jelly, a tad of sweetener in green tea etc.

is it possible that these sweeteners/additives are stopping me from losing weight? I've instantly started drinking my 3L a day. But also i'm finding it quite hard to find foods such as chorizo, prosciutto, even Philadelphia cream cheese that dont have some kind of additive in it. I'm wondering if additives are going to completely stall me?

NO NO NO NO NO.

If you're eating a calorie deficit nothing will stop you from losing weight unless its some sort of medical condition. Additives won't completely stall your weight loss if at all. I think what happened is you lost 7 lbs and most of it was water. You say you gained it back....again prob water weight. It can be annoying but you need water to flush you out and your body can also retain the water it's like a double edged sword.

Keep at it and be patient. Stop weighing and measuring yourself everyday. Do it once a month or if you must once a every two weeks at the same time of day!
  • christinartnd
    christinartnd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    RhoRho2462 wrote: »
    Yes, additives of any kind will start a chemical reaction in your body and you will plateau.. However, how much exercise do you commit to per week? Very important that you incorporate that into your weight loss program. I too was on Keto and basically stopped about 2 weeks ago. Still eating low carb and reducing fat content and added tons of cardio! It's coming right off! Fast paced walking at about 3.8- 4.0 mph. I do approximately 7.50 miles 3 days a week and then add a couple more days with just 1 mile for each day. Being that we've been experiencing high desert winds recently, I refuse to walk outside! Lol! I then use my Bowflex tread climber and track calories burned on the jawbone pedometer and Bowflex built in pedometer to keep track of everything. I burn approx. 780-800 calories in approx. 80 minutes. I keep it at 3.5 miles and reduce speed to 3.3 alternating from those speeds every 10 minutes. Losing a lot of inches and weight is coming off. :) I put on my favorite TV programs and have a ball working out. It never bores me...

haha! fantastic!

I really wish I could incorporate lots of exercise but unfortunately i just dont have the time to do it right now! After june though, its all exercise a-go! at the moment Im at Uni 4 days a week and working three days a week, and then after uni in the evenings I have to go to practices. So when i'm travelling to and from uni or on the shop floor its always walking, and walking there/back but other than that theres no real cardio I find the time to do! I do however have a cross trainer and exercise bike at home so fingers crossed i'll be able to move that into my room without too much noise and be able to do some late-night work outs!

I think i'll definitely try and read my items i buy more thoroughly and steer clear from anything with sugar in it!
  • christinartnd
    christinartnd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

NO NO NO NO NO.

If you're eating a calorie deficit nothing will stop you from losing weight unless its some sort of medical condition. Additives won't completely stall your weight loss if at all. I think what happened is you lost 7 lbs and most of it was water. You say you gained it back....again prob water weight. It can be annoying but you need water to flush you out and your body can also retain the water it's like a double edged sword.

Keep at it and be patient. Stop weighing and measuring yourself everyday. Do it once a month or if you must once a every two weeks at the same time of day!

Interesting... i think the water intake is a HUGE part in my weight loss. I'm going to aim for 3L of water a day and see how I get on (whilst cutting back a little to make sure 90% of my food is non-processed)
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

NO NO NO NO NO.

Interesting... i think the water intake is a HUGE part in my weight loss. I'm going to aim for 3L of water a day and see how I get on (whilst cutting back a little to make sure 90% of my food is non-processed)

Water helps you stay hydrated and healthy and to some helps them stay full. Its not a huge part of weight loss neither is eating non processed foods. I can eat twinkies all day at a calorie deficit and lose weight. I'd probably feel like crap but I'd lose weight. Or I can eat organic foods at a calorie surplus and gain massives amounts of weight.

Point I'm trying to make about water is your body is probably retaining it. Its normal and your weight will fluctuate because of it. Your additives and preservatives have nothing to do with it
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Lol no - that bold is utter nonsense.

Op weight loss is not liner - you're weight will go up and down over time - as long as the trend is down then you're doing ok.

Most of the initial weight loss will have been water weigh as carbs hold onto water - it's normal for it to slow down after the first two week of a low carb diet. Try not to panic - as long as you consume less calories that your burn you will lose weight.
  • nancyjay__
    edited April 2015
    Options

Lol no - that bold is utter nonsense.

Op weight loss is not liner - you're weight will go up and down over time - as long as the trend is down then you're doing ok.

Most of the initial weight loss will have been water weigh as carbs hold onto water - it's normal for it to slow down after the first two week of a low carb diet. Try not to panic - as long as you consume less calories that your burn you will lose weight.

Hehe thank you. I didn't want to be the one to burst their bubble. THAT WHOLE BOLDED LINE LITERALLY MADE ME FACEPALM

Said the exact same thing about EVERYTHING but selective hearing took over.
  • edwardryan8808
    edwardryan8808 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are a strict Keto Dieter, yes, you do need to be careful. Some artificial sweeteners will cause a glycemic response in certain people and kick them out of ketosis. Other people can use them without problems.
    Also, some sweeteners like granulated splenda contain additives to make it 'granulated' and consequently add carbs.
    Monitoring your protein intake is also important. The body can create glucose from protein which in turn creates an insulin response. Exactly what you are trying to avoid. Adequate protein is important, just be careful not to over do it.
    And finally, people like me STILL have to watch the cals. :/
    But for me, the benefits of doing Keto is all worth it. :)