Low carb weight gain

Options
Has anyone ever done low carb and put weight on in the first couple of days? I did Tuesday and yesterday and 1lb on this morning. Is my body just used to low fat and counting calories? Both days under 100gm, yesterday under 60gm.
I'm pretty sure I'm being impatient and also weighing every day but just curious. Maybe it's water, but everything I've read says in the first few days you dump a load of water weight!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • DenisePacey
    DenisePacey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are eating more than you usually do then this could be the reason, best thing to do is give yourself at least a week and they step on the scales, if you are like me and cant wait then at least 4 days - good luck
  • ellersrb
    ellersrb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Calories was about 1400 from memory. It's a difficult switch from pasta, rice, potato with every meal to barely none, but I'm enjoying it and feeling less sluggish.
  • janeybees
    janeybees Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Could be water x
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has a water drop the first week, especially if you were already eating at a deficit. The water drop is no different than any other WOE, where people cut out a lot of fast food/junk food and by extension, drastically reduce their salt. If all you've done is switch from low fat to low carb, you haven't really done that, unless your previous carbs included a lot of salty things.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    janeybees wrote: »
    Could be water x

Agreed. I pound here and there, even daily changes is NOT indicative of weight gain. I recommend weighing yourself once a week ona certain day(Sunday for me) first thing in the morning, naked :wink:

As for low carb diets, it does help with weight loss but dont go too crazy with it. The "carb-hate" over the last 10-15 years has sort of run its course. Moderate/smart carb intake along with other good diteary habits & staying active are the "complete" weight loss/maintenance package, IMO.
  • ellersrb
    ellersrb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a couple of weeks, without the frantic daily weighing, and see what happens. I'm still tracking everything out of habit and logging it, but the low carb purists say to not count calories. I can't give it up yet though! We'll see. It seems like I repsond well to shifting diet styles every now and again. Did really well on IF but that stalled so now we're low carb!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ellersrb wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a couple of weeks, without the frantic daily weighing, and see what happens. I'm still tracking everything out of habit and logging it, but the low carb purists say to not count calories. I can't give it up yet though! We'll see. It seems like I repsond well to shifting diet styles every now and again. Did really well on IF but that stalled so now we're low carb!

Not really, just that some people don't need to, because satiety prevents a lot of people from eating above maintenance. That mainly applies to keto (similar to step 1 of Atkins), but not as true when you're eating above that, as you are.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you been regular? Generally I found that my fiber intake was quite low on a low carb diet and I really had to supplement it. Don't underestimate the capacity of the human digestive system.