Social things to do besides eat and drink

Options
tonicia
tonicia Posts: 145 Member
I just went out to dinner with a friend...Brought my daily calorie intake to almost 1800...and lets not even talk about sodium....and I tried to be good! I haven't been "out" with my friends this month because I know I'll drink. Realized that everything social is always centered around eating and drinking....so...... Anybody have ideas of fun things to do socially that isn't centered around eating and drinking??

Replies

• gev90744
    gev90744 Posts: 24
    Options
    well i dont know if ur in cali but at venice beach u can pack ur meal and walk the entire strip and even go swimming so u get a workout and see the shows that go on
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    movies, interesting walks, whatever you like just dont feel pressured to fit in when everyone else gets an icecream cone etc etc

you can still do the dinners and order something you enjoy - just eat smaller portions of it - be proud if you dont finish what is on your plate - skip dessert or just have a couple bites (sharing is good) - same with going out, I would still do it for the social side of things but not drink - or if it is a special night out and you are all going dancing etc then drink smart and DANCE lots :D

you won't feel very good about your new eating plan if it is taking all the fun out of life
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Bowling, volleyball, play basketball, hiking.....anything that keeps you moving : )
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Rockclimbing!!! i did this the other week... it was AWESOME!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I enjoy goofy stuff like bowling, mini golf, roller skating, playing board games and cheesy movie nights! Cheap and calorie free!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    PUT-PUT! You can go play mini golf or disc golf!!! (Burn calories!)

Movies (sans the treats!)
    Go for a walk or a hike and be one with nature (Burn tons of calories!)
    Do something creative? (Photography, Design...etc)
    Go swimming! (burn calories also!)
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I sometimes face this problem, too. I noticed I go out a lot less now that I am watching calories (and BROKE!) You could invite the girls over to your place--when I lived in another city and had upwards of 15 girl friends I'd invite everyone over and we'd have clothing exchange parties once a month. Everyone brings garbage bags of clothes and you dump it in a big pile and everyone goes to town.

I also hosted a monthly dinner party. I always made it something easy--whole wheat spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce (3-4 cans of tomatoes, 1 stick of butter, one large diced onion)--it would be a potluck and game night. Encourage everyone to bring something and that way you don't have to "host" too much--or spend a bunch of money. Make sure if your friends bring beer you have an alternative if you do want a drink--like a bottle of vodka or gin.

Recently I hosted a game night with a make-your-own-pancake theme. I had the bisquick and everyone else brought topping and add-ins. It was easy to protion control and we all had fun creating weird combos.

Other things you can do if you don't want to host:

Manicures/Pedicures
    Coffee Dates (bring madlibs, magazines, etc.)
    Clothing Shopping
    Grocery shopping and dinner making
    Movie nights (in or out)
    If you want to drink and eat make sure you have a good workout that day--or even better add dancing to the night, or encourage everyone to walk around the city afterwards.
    Hikes, bike rides, swimming, paddle-boating, mini-golf, art galleries, laser tag.

It takes some convincing, though. Whenever I suggest something other than a bar the, "I'm broke" card always gets played (I'm guilty of this, too). But really you'll end up spending less or about the same amount and you'll do something different which is always fun. I have a friend in my group who is working out with me so it's nice that we have each other to break out of the bar every weekend night thing :)
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hiking
    Spa Day
    Take Swing Dance Lessons
    Take a Gym Day
    Go to a Museum
    Take in a Musical or Theater Show
    Help Feed the Homeless
    Volunteer at a Charity Garden
    Rock Climbing

The list goes on and on!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I sometimes face this problem, too. I noticed I go out a lot less now that I am watching calories (and BROKE!) You could invite the girls over to your place--when I lived in another city and had upwards of 15 girl friends I'd invite everyone over and we'd have clothing exchange parties once a month. Everyone brings garbage bags of clothes and you dump it in a big pile and everyone goes to town.

I also hosted a monthly dinner party. I always made it something easy--whole wheat spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce (3-4 cans of tomatoes, 1 stick of butter, one large diced onion)--it would be a potluck and game night. Encourage everyone to bring something and that way you don't have to "host" too much--or spend a bunch of money. Make sure if your friends bring beer you have an alternative if you do want a drink--like a bottle of vodka or gin.

Recently I hosted a game night with a make-your-own-pancake theme. I had the bisquick and everyone else brought topping and add-ins. It was easy to protion control and we all had fun creating weird combos.

Other things you can do if you don't want to host:

Manicures/Pedicures
    Coffee Dates (bring madlibs, magazines, etc.)
    Clothing Shopping
    Grocery shopping and dinner making
    Movie nights (in or out)
    If you want to drink and eat make sure you have a good workout that day--or even better add dancing to the night, or encourage everyone to walk around the city afterwards.
    Hikes, bike rides, swimming, paddle-boating, mini-golf, art galleries, laser tag.

It takes some convincing, though. Whenever I suggest something other than a bar the, "I'm broke" card always gets played (I'm guilty of this, too). But really you'll end up spending less or about the same amount and you'll do something different which is always fun. I have a friend in my group who is working out with me so it's nice that we have each other to break out of the bar every weekend night thing :)

What fantastic ideas. Love it.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    When I first started retraining my brain to that of my former thin self (it had been awhile so I literally forgot that I needed to change my mind with my body), I did feel overwhelmed by restaurants and the pitfalls they represented to me and any event where I would be presented with choices that were unhealthy. I ate home alot and if I took my puppy to the beach for the day or hung out with a friend I would pack a small cooler with food and snacks for the day. I felt I needed to control every morsel and calorie and account for it or I might not succeed, or better yet I would be a failure. And it's stage and it's fine, do what is comfortable. I needed to gain my training wheels until I felt, hey I can handle this now, and finally, I'm at the stage where I think I could handle about anything except maybe not a vacation yet (I have a tendency still to tell myself it's ok to eat whatever I want if I'm travelling....this idea will need to eventually disappear).

Now I agree with BJAM1234....I know it can be difficult until eating healthy and making choices more easily becomes a way of life but if I'm going to restaurant or event I think might be a potential problem I usually make a goal or agreement with myself before I get there. I figure out what I'm in the mood for (maybe a glass of wine or cocktail) or maybe it's a special they have there or whatever, and work around that thing that is most important. Ok, I'm going to have a drink and enjoy it, and then order an appetizer and side salad or I'll have the main dish and take half home, or I'll skip wine and appetizer and have salad and dessert....you get the picture. I realize I can't have everything i might want (2 drinks and chips too) and expect to be thinner or even stay thinner when I get there. it's not reality, and me and my body live in reality now lol!

other non-food ideas.....meet friends for a hike and go to coffee afterwards, go mini-golfing, go the movies at a time when you're not hungry (or sometimes I budget for a kid's size popcorn), go bikeriding and bring a bag lunch for you and your friend! invite friends over, there are tons of sites and magazines where you can plan out healthy, yummy food or munchies and serve wine spritzers which are much fewer calories.

You can cut down unhealthy dinners/drinking but in the long-term you are going to need to figure out how to live your life normally and that includes around food, restaurants and special events and friends and family. When I visit my aunt for the weekend now, I bring a cooler with some of my own food (she never has food with enough protein for me) and skip dessert (she buys store-bought so it's easy). I also realize that one meal, no matter how poorly I eat is not going to cause me to gain 5 lbs. It's one meal. It's continual poor choices that caused us to gain weight.

Enjoy and with each step and each good choice you gain power and confidence, you can do this!!
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Gigs and spas. Gigs even burn calories if you get up and dance and spas make you feel so virtuous you won't want to eat badly
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I went to paintball a couple of weeks ago. That was awesome. And not too expensive (about the same as dinner and a few drinks). Massive work out and the most fun I've had in ages.

Last weekend I went rogaining, but that may not be available near where you are. I'm sure some other kind of outdoor adventure sport is though.

I have a few friends that like to do a lot of bushwalking, and other friends that I go running with. Tennis isn't too hard either. If there's a lake nearby, you can go paddling on the lake, or sailing (get some friends together and do a beginners course).

Ok, just a few ideas. Back to work.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Game night - some of my favorites are Apples to Apples, Imaginiff, and Spouseology.
  • callielizabethrocks
    callielizabethrocks Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to invite people over for grilling and game night. That way I control what I eat and how it is cooked. I also try to keep sparkling water on hand so I can make myself a drink while my guests are having beers. I also have a walking buddy and we have a walking date every Thursday. Finally, I'm in Southern California and we have TON of adult sports leagues. Beach volleyball, Beach football, bowling, soccer, running clubs, bike clubs and a ton of great things that adults can do.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here... and some more if you have people over.
    Look around at garage sales for some games like darts, bocce, hell, even twister would be fun with the right crowd!
    Then you can eat and drink only as much as you need and everyone will be occupied so you have somethiing to do other than just sit and eat.
    I think eating out at restaurants is a skill that we all have to relearn - I was away from home for nearly a week and was mostly pretty good (except for one night with a wonderful calorie-laden curry that I had been hankering after) by chosing better (not always good, but better!) options, not eating all of it (I had a curry and left most of the rice and bread on my plate) and skipping dessert or just eating a litte bit of it.
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Tons of great ideas! Thanks guys!!!! Any late night ideas??...(like instead of bar hopping).
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Tons of great ideas! Thanks guys!!!! Any late night ideas??...(like instead of bar hopping).
    Extreme bowling!
    Open mic night.
    Laser Tag
    night batting cages
    Dancing

Just eat before you go anywhere so you won't be tempted.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We go to a lot of concerts and theatre shows. We love that.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    If your friends are hell bent on "going out" I would suggest going dancing. I love club dancing, but I also really enjoy Salsa, Swing, Bhangra, Line Dancing, etc. A lot of the dance halls here in Portland, that specialize in a type of dance, have free lessons at the beginning of the night. If your friends are interested, you get your workout and get to socialize and there's typically a bar for those friends that just can't do without. The other great thing about staying active while socializing is that you tend to drink more water.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me, too. Usually I suggest getting a coffee or a pedicure. Most of my friends understand when I explain my diet.