Adding Fish into my diet

Options
I'd like to consider adding fish into my diet, it tastes great plus it sounds like it's a much healthier option to red meat. What are some good types of fish to eat other than canned tuna fish? What are you doing and how do you typically prepare it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat salmon mostly, wrap it in a foil parcel and throw it in the oven on 200 degrees for about 15 minutes (depending how big a piece it is).
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssshhhhhhhhiiiiiiii

sushi-cat.jpg
  • ashmarie1083
    ashmarie1083 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    During the summer I like to make salmon burgers on the grill... just get a box from the grocery store. They can be a little more expensive than beef burgers but they're delicious.
    A lot of times I get frozen wild caught fish like haddock, tilapia, etc
    I cook it in a pan over the stove with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper (and any other spices I like).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssshhhhhhhhiiiiiiii

sushi-cat.jpg

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I love Tilapia. I buy the frozen fillets, as they are very convenient. I spray a cookie sheet with butter spray, lay the fillets down, (frozen or thawed), add salt, lemon pepper, and some Tony C's cajun seasoning, and bake for 20-25 minutes til flaky. Sometimes I sliced some zucchini and season them the same and bake them along with the fish.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon and tilapia fillets from Costco. Vacuum sealed in individual portions you can either microwave them for a quick and easy meal, bake or fry. If you want them thawed just put the sealed fillets in a sink of water for a bit.

Not as good as fresh but a lot more convenient. I eat them plain (with seasoning) in wraps, its fish tacos.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Sushi and sashimi for the win!

You can also pick up a bunch of salmon, tuna steaks, tilapia maybe swordfish if you are adventurous.
    (Tilapia being the least nutritional).

I usually end up baking it in the oven at 450 with olive oil or some sort of sauce, because I am really lazy.

Whatever you choose to do, there is one golden rule. DO NOT HEAT IT UP IN THE MICROWAVE AT WORK!
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    brgtt6t9oyjn.jpg

salmon and cod, eat it up fish meat eggs rice seeds nuts cheese fruit and veg clean healthy food all the way
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    We love salmon fillets also. My hubby loves them with Teriyaki marinade and baked. Seems more 'meaty' for a manly meal. lol
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like salmon a lot, even though it's high in fat and calories. I enjoy having smoked salmon as a side dish with vegetables, especially broccoli. When I get fresh salmon I wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven, add some salt, pepper and lemon juice.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'd like to consider adding fish into my diet, it tastes great plus it sounds like it's a much healthier option to red meat. What are some good types of fish to eat other than canned tuna fish? What are you doing and how do you typically prepare it?

I likes me some salmon and catfish (mmmm blackened catfish...) wait..what? Oh sorry, but I need quick cheap food nothing beats tilapia.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat a loooooot of fish! There are so many different kinds and so many different ways to prepare, but some of our favorites include:
    poached salmon
    salmon en croute
    baked scallops
    crab cakes
    lobster spaghetti
    grilled swordfish
    and I even made fish fingers & custard once. :p
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sea bass fillets, seasoned, lightly pan fried (eg spray oil in non-stick pan - make the skin side crispy)

tuna steak (so different to the can variety) - grilled or pan fried as above - season and lemon juice

salmon fillet
    - poach in water, peppercorns, bay leaf, lemon wedges for 20 mins
    - oven bake in foil

Cod fillet
    - chop into chunks, seal in a pan (spray oil) with garlic, chilli chinese spices, soy sauce, add bag of stir fry vegetables and more soy sauce, season to taste
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    We love salmon fillets also. My hubby loves them with Teriyaki marinade and baked. Seems more 'meaty' for a manly meal. lol

Hehe growing guy like that better throw on a streak while at it hehe
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Hehe growing guy like that better throw on a streak while at it hehe

:huh:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh heck I forgot my current favourite salmon fish cakes

an adaptation of

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/12/baked-salmon-cakes.html

I add spring onions and parsley and salt and pepper ..I used a whole side of salmon (about 920g) and 2 peppers too. ..I pan fry them with spray oil and make smallish ones so get 16 out of that and they're about 120 cals and 13g protein each

Great with just salad or in a sandwich with Mayo and mixed leaves

and they freeze really well too
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Enjoy these fish, they are lower in mercury. I eat a lot of seafood so I try to pay attention to this. Most people prob don't eat enough to worry about it but just in case. I like mine woodsmoked on the grill.
    Anchovies
    Butterfish
    Catfish
    Clam
    Crab (Domestic)
    Crawfish/Crayfish
    Croaker (Atlantic)
    Flounder*
    Haddock (Atlantic)*
    Hake
    Herring
    Mackerel (N. Atlantic, Chub)
    Mullet
    Oyster
    Perch (Ocean)
    Plaice
    Pollock
    Salmon (Canned)**
    Salmon (Fresh)**
    Sardine
    Scallop*
    Shad (American)
    Shrimp*
    Sole (Pacific)
    Squid (Calamari)
    Tilapia
    Trout (Freshwater)
    Whitefish
    Whiting

HIGH MERCURY Eat less of these

Eat three servings or less per month:
    Bluefish
    Grouper*
    Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf)
    Sea Bass (Chilean)*
    Tuna (Canned Albacore)
    Tuna (Yellowfin)*
    HIGHEST MERCURY

Avoid eating:
    Mackerel (King)
    Marlin*
    Orange Roughy*
    Shark*
    Swordfish*
    Tilefish*
    Tuna (Bigeye, Ahi)*
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon, cod and tuna from Sam's club. Sometimes I marinade the salmon or tuna with a teriyaki marinade. The tuna I pan sear. The salmon I broil in the over 18-20 minutes. When I don't marinade I just use lemon pepper seasoning and broil.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Blackened salmon!! sardines canned in water, too.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You'll see all kinds of recipes and suggestions for baked fish and some for grilled and they're good. I'd like to suggest you
    learn to sear fillets. There a bunch of how to's on You Tube. Here in one by a gal I admire. It's a cinch to make a sauce in
    the same pan when the meat is done. This technique will serve you well for other meats as well as fish.