Best food item to catch fish with?

jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone,

I know this might be a very strange question. I know you can catch fish with corn and bread, but are there any other food items? I'm asking because me and my husband plan to go fishing tonight. As funny as it sounds, we usually fish with corn, but I find myself always sneaking a bit to eat while we fish. I always eat more than I'm aware of. I know corn isn't the best option to snack on, so I was wondering if there was anything better. I've been curious if fish will eat black beans since I know beans are a really good source of protein and fiber, so it wouldn't be harmful if I was snacking on some. Please let me know what you guys think and if you know a better option. Sorry for the strange question lol!

Edit:

I found out what type of fish they are! Just asked my husband ha ha. In Dutch, there called Baarsje voorntje. But I'm not sure of the english name and google translate doesn't help. :( If anyone recognizes them from google pictures, do you know what is best to use for those fish?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    What are you fishing for? You can catch catfish on chicken livers and hot dogs. How about just use bait for the fish and bring yourself a snack?
  • nanokookoo
    nanokookoo Posts: 5 Member
    Depends on what fish you want, I sometimes use raw chicken (the off cuts like the skin), sometimes raw shrimp.
    You seem to be capable with fishing but always worth remembering to "present" your bait properly.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Why can't you just use earthworms ?
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    We usually use squid, shrimp, blood worms, minnows, sand fleas, and small crabs. We fish for spot, croaker, and drum. Surf casting is one of our favorite ways to fish but we also hve kayaks outfitted for fishing. My husband's kayak has a live bait well and a fish finder. Agree with rybo that the bait you use depends on what you are fishing for plus the bait we use you would never want to eat.
  • jenniator
    I'm not sure what type of fish they are, since I'm pretty new to fishing, but we fish in a pond, so the fish are pretty small. :) We normally use corn or bread as bait. There nothing special like catfish ha ha.
  • jenniator
    myfatass78 wrote: »

we do use worms sometimes, but we are going fishing tonight for a hour or two. I dont have time to run to the fishing store to get worms right now, so I'm going to the grocery store to get something since I have to get dinner for tonight anyways :)
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Actually you can buy squid (calamari) at the grocery store. But I'd try the beans. Let us know if it's good bait.
  • jenniator
    Actually you can buy squid (calamari) at the grocery store. But I'd try the beans. Let us know if it's good bait.

I actually haven't found any squid here really. I live in the Netherlands, so we have a little bit of different items. :) I do want to try the beans, but I'm worried it won't catch anything ha ha.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Instead of bread or corn, you can use dough. Just make your dough and put the dough ball in a container and pinch the dough off as you get ready to hook it. You can use small peices cotton and then cover the small piece of cotton with the dough it will hold a little better ... but for those small fish you may not need the cotton.

This will keep you from eating the bait.. Veggies or beans not good..
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    How the #÷!! Big are sand fleas that you can use them as bait?

We always fished with worms , bread, or just lures.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    jenniator wrote: »

we do use worms sometimes, but we are going fishing tonight for a hour or two. I dont have time to run to the fishing store to get worms right now, so I'm going to the grocery store to get something since I have to get dinner for tonight anyways :)

I mean get them from the yard
  • jenniator
    gia07 wrote: »
    Instead of bread or corn, you can use dough. Just make your dough and put the dough ball in a container and pinch the dough off as you get ready to hook it. You can use small peices cotton and then cover the small piece of cotton with the dough it will hold a little better ... but for those small fish you may not need the cotton.

This will keep you from eating the bait.. Veggies or beans not good..

I never knew about using dough, that's really awesome :)! Thank you. Too bad the beans wouldn't work ha ha
  • jenniator

I mean get them from the yard

Ohh ha ha! I haven't seen any here. :( I tried digging before.
  • jenniator
    I found out what type of fish they are! Just asked my husband ha ha. In Dutch, there called Baarsje voorntje. But I'm not sure of the english name and google translate doesn't help. :( If anyone recognizes them from google pictures, do you know what is best to use for those fish?
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    We always used cheese.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    If they bite on corn, they might be much like a trout here. Trout will bite on little rolled up bits of cheese or coloured mini marshmallows.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    edited April 2015

There's several species on there, but the most common (big, deep bodied brown ones) are common carp. Makes sense if corn works with them, I used to use it all the time carp fishing.

Boilies are good, and you can make your own, but I always did well with bread and corn. Hemp is great fired out over the surface to attract them, and maize can work too.

I always went with corn, but made a few 'bait bombs' of corn balled up in breadcrumds, which I'd throw in beforehand. Couldn't argue with the results.

Good luck!

EDIT: A bit more digging on Dutch websites and I'm less certain; are the fish green with a spiky dorsal fin?
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Liver, velveeta, hot dogs, or homemade powerbait. Homemade powerbait can be made from pretty much anything, but you need flour or cornmeal and water as a base. My dad usually adds garlic to it and some food coloring. I know he's also added maple syrup or koolaid in the past. Basically, you just want a stinky, bright colored dough.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    raw bacon. It's harder for the fish to steal without biting the hook.
  • jenniator

There's several species on there, but the most common (big, deep bodied brown ones) are common carp. Makes sense if corn works with them, I used to use it all the time carp fishing.

Boilies are good, and you can make your own, but I always did well with bread and corn. Hemp is great fired out over the surface to attract them, and maize can work too.

I always went with corn, but made a few 'bait bombs' of corn balled up in breadcrumds, which I'd throw in beforehand. Couldn't argue with the results.

Good luck!

EDIT: A bit more digging on Dutch websites and I'm less certain; are the fish green with a spiky dorsal fin?

They are small silver fish :) I also think there are small redish ones with spikey fins. The corn with breadcrumbs sounds awesome! :D