Are you a "tough love" kind of MFP friend?

Options
I have been STUCK trying to get rid of my last 10 pounds. I'm looking for some friends that aren't afraid to call me out if they see I'm slacking. YES, before you get on me, I know I need to do it for myself. YES I know that motivation comes from within. But the whole point of MFP is a supportive community, right? :)

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You can do it - yes you can - if you can't do it, no one can! (yayyyy....rahhh.....pom toss)! And....many do....so that really means....so can you! ;)
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lol I've got no problem with tough love.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Ah. Interesting concept here. And one that has the capacity to be incendiary . Someone's idea of 'tough love' could well be 'constructive criticism' whereas another's idea could be ' Why the hell did you eat all that bluddy cheese? And why drink that beer when you know you are overweight? Jeez,,,,,,,'

See?? Constructive Criticism would say, 'Probably need to moderate the cheese level, hun....and maybe cut down to one beer instead of two?

Both would be correct, in a hypothetical situation, but would both be ok with the OP? Depends on her idea of tough love, so maybe she could give us a clue.......then we know what will motivate her.......

• nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    GOT OFF YOUR *kitten* AND WORKOUT! (How was that lol)
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How about eating less than 1000 calories a day is not healthy!! I see so many people doing this, it's really quite disturbing!
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hmm, since my diary isn't public, maybe some background would help? I'm 35, mom of 2 young boys. This Saturday I will run in my second half marathon. I do boxing or TRX every week, along with a yoga session. My allotment is around 1500 calories, and on a training run day I eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of those exercise calories. Better? :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not that kind of friend. I ascribe more to the theory of benign neglect unless I see someone doing something exceptionally stupid. The last "friend" I called out was eating 1200 calories and burning 1100 and they not only thought it was ok to Net 100 calories a day but were bragging about it while wondering why their hair was falling out and they were cold all the time.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    People always say they want to be called out...until they're called out.
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you at all. I feel it's really important, especially when losing weight to have positive supportive people. Even tough love is supportive! Feel free to add me if you want another positive and if need tough love friend!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    fpxgn0sz94tn.gif

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes. I want my friends to succeed. id prefer it if they say they want to lose weight that they take responsibility and commit to taking the steps needed, just like I do for myself. It cna be hard work , but its an achievement and gets results if you put the effort in. People go on about being accountable but they tend to be very sensitive in my experience about being informed when they are moaning, but actually arent being honest about expectations to effort expended.

Other people need gentler and kinder treatment.

You have to gauge your response to fit and constructively assist based on the personality of the friend, tough love for the few, tea and sympathy fo others.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

tumblr_lrtgx3kR7v1r0pc43o1_400.gif