Intermittent fasting?!?

Options
124»

Replies

• redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1) For those losing weight, are you fasting every day? Are you calorie counting? ( I do because otherwise I will easily eat over my TDEE and I'm trying to lose 14lbs).

2) Is it normal to gain at first before you start losing?

3) Am I not losing because I've had these slips? I hope so because I want to believe this will work. It seems to fit the best for me. I've tried 5:2 and trying to only eat 500 calories on fast days was a struggle for me.

4) Any other advice you can give me would be great!! I'm getting back on the horse tomorrow after having a 3-day vacation with the family. So hoping to start fresh and avoid the slip-ups.

And please feel free to add me as a friend if you like!! TIA :smooched:

1) I fast every day. As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Doing IF does not allow you to eat what you want, and lose weight. Still comes down to Calories in vs. Calories out

2) May be a fluctuation in weight due to water retention. 3 lbs would strike me as water. But keep tracking and watch it.
    If you do gain and it isn't your goal (after a few weeks) then you may need to lower your calories.

3) It is quite possible, yes. An entire week of deficits, can be erased by one day of binging.

4) Maybe open your eating window up a bit, and then progress to a smaller window?
    I eat for 8 hrs, and fast 16. Sometimes it is 7/17
    But for you maybe start with 14 hr fast/ 10 hr eat....then work to 16/8
    But you need to get your calories nailed down first, and figure what you need to gain or lose weight.
    Then track and eat accordingly

Thanks so much for the info...I know what my deficit should be in order to lose..just need to be disciplined enough not to go over that. My brain knows it basically comes down to the numbers really. I'm also jumping back into my exercise routine. Again thanks for the advice..today's a new beginning :) Wish there was a group for Fast 5'ers
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, wish you all the best.

I am part of this group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies so what I'm going to say has probably been said already, but anyway.

IF works for me, but I think your planned eating window is too small. The general rule for IF is 16 hours of fasting, 8 hours of eating... and for women, there's research that shows that 14/10 works better. So that's what I do - my eating window is from 1pm-11pm (I'm an evening/night person) and it works! Of course calories are the most important factor for weight loss, but IF helps me not think about food so much since I know there's a specific time frame when I'll be eating.

I hope that helps and good luck!
  • redzgal
    Options
    8 or 10-hour window is too big for me...that's a regular day for me really. When not doing IF I normally eat from 12-10 and I eat too much. So, I think a smaller window is probably best...my even an 18/6.

Thanks!
  • redzgal
    Options
    Good Luck, wish you all the best.

I am part of this group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

Thanks!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    8 or 10-hour window is too big for me...that's a regular day for me really. When not doing IF I normally eat from 12-10 and I eat too much. So, I think a smaller window is probably best...my even an 18/6.

Thanks!

Just remember it is about overall calories...
    Limiting yourself to an eating window is just a tool....
    But if you consume more calories than you need in that window, you will still put on weight.
  • redzgal
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    kelseyhere wrote: »
    If you already find yourself obsessing about food, I highly recommend against IF!!! I tried it too for about 4 months and was not successful. I would obsess about food all morning until my "eating window" opening at 1 p.m. When my window closed at 8 p.m., I couldn't stop eating. I would binge and binge and binge, and it actually worked against me. Results I had from normal calorie counting went away, and then I had to start over again. I find I do much better eating a large breakfast, and then smaller meals throughout the day. Calorie counting already made me food-obsessed, but I'm telling you IF just made it much worse. Of course others have been successful, but for me it just didn't work.

Check out this article too: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comment-1362

"I couldn't stop eating."

LOL
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @arielnorth
    I like it, I'd rather have two big meals than 5-6 snacks. Just like you said, having to think about food all day long was such a pain for me. And the later I started eating the less hungry I got, so that's why I've been doing it, for almost a year now. I do 16:8, eat at night.

70350 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Old post but I started this yesterday and fasted for 20hrs over night and this morning/afternoon and lost 2.4lbs/1.1kg