Breakfast and exercise...

Options
So I am starting Couch to 5K tomorrow morning and I was wondering should I eat breakfast before I go or after?
If I should have it before I go, how much time should I leave before going out?
Thank you

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This kind of depends on the person. Assuming you are not absolutely famished first thing in the morning, you will be fine to wait until after exercising to eat. If you are absolutely famished, I would eat a small snack like a banana or yogurt first. You can play around with it a bit but eating that small amount even right before going shouldn't give you any troubles.

Have fun, btw. C25k is a great program :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's up to you...personal preference. I personally couldn't eat an actual breakfast without having a couple of hours to digest...I would cramp up like all hell if I actually ate breakfast and then ran. If I do something like this I usually just have an apple or something at the most.

I tend to eat my meals after exercise...but again, it's personal preference and a performance issue...it isn't going to make a bit of difference where losing weight is concerned.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I cant do cardio fasted - but some people can, its personal preference.

I eat a bowl of cereal 1 1/2 to 2 hours before I run.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body. if you need some fuel before heading out eat a 1/2 a banana or drink a small smoothie. I usually don't eat much before running b/c it upsets my stomach but I know some people who can eat and run. Good luck!! I LOVE running!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I can't do any cardio with lots of food in my belly

Weekdays it's an hour after an apple or a banana
    Weekends it's fasted cardio first thing

Find what works for you!

P.S. NEVER eat a full plate of spaghetti and run. :confounded:
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I prefer fasted cardio, but see what works for you.
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    I think I will see how I feel in the morning and listen to my body :smiley:
    Thank you for your advice everyone :smile:
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I could not run on even a remotely full stomach. This is pretty easy when I go to the gym before work since I'm obviously not eating for 6-8 hours before, but it's a little harder when I go after work because I still have 4 - 6 hours after eating a small lunch, so I tend to be famished by the time I get home.

Which is fine because I like to save the largest part of my calories for dinner/snacking after work/gym.

I would suggest eating something really small like an hour before you leave for the gym, then gauge how you feel during your workout. Decide what to do from there.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I do cardio fasted (sometimes after I've been awake for six hours or so before) and enjoy running on an empty stomach. Slow digesting complex carbohydrates (Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, whole wheat pasta etc) the night before and something small on the day (if you wish) or an hour or so before (Porridge, Yogurt, Protein/cereal bar, toast, Jelly babies etc). Best of luck.