weight gain to join army

Options
I'm an 18 year old female. I'm 5'3" and weigh 93 pounds and I'm looking for suggestions for quick weight gain

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What sort of time frame, and what weight do you need to be? You could incorporate some great weight training and fitness stuff while you put weight on, but you really don't want to put that weight on to quickly.
    You could make some of it muscle if you get it right.

So a few more details will really help us!
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the air force wavering more people in for low height and weight than any other branch. Might want to check into that too
  • Springfield1970
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm surprised you're not in hospital being 12lbs UNDER the lowest weight range for your height. Are there issues that need addressing first OP?
    We're talking about a BMI of 15.9 here.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But your profile says you're 22.....
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of whole milk. Snack on pb&j sandwiches between meals.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you're not in hospital being 12lbs UNDER the lowest weight range for your height. Are there issues that need addressing first OP?

That is a ridiculous thing to say. Everyone is built different. People like you are the reasons these forums are so messed up.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,541 Member
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »

That is a ridiculous thing to say. Everyone is built different. People like you are the reasons these forums are so messed up.

You're welcome to stay out of the forums if you don't like dealing with the truth? OP is significantly underweight and needs to address why that's an issue. Take a look at this chart:

BMI-Chart.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

No she isn't newbie- mind your'e p's and q's- she's got a lot of information to offer across the board and a lot of valuable information about gaining- it's a 100% valid concern.

93 pounds at that height IS extremely small- secondly- THIS IS THE WEIGHT GAINING SECTION.

SHE"S HERE TO TALK ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN- and if there are other issues at hand- we need to know about it- we can't very well give good advice if we are missing some critical path details.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

It's not at all ridiculous. She is extremely underweight, dangerously so, usually indicative of an eating disorder or an illness. I would like that information before I even think about giving advice, to not ask would be irresponsible.
    'Messed up' would be advising the OP to eat like a normal person, when it's more likey they will have to be eating very high calories to repair damage to internal organs.

I hope you've learnt something here, and have a different perspective to some of the cases in this section.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eat more of the right foods. Natural peanut butter. Nuts. Whole milk. Lean meats. Tropical fruits. And to help yourself in basic training, ask your recruiter what the PT test standards are for females and start doing those exercises before you join. When I joined in the 80's, I had to do 50 push ups, 50 sit ups and run 2 miles in 15 minutes. I spent the months before I left for basic working on those, and it made it easier for me than the guys that clearly didn't condition themselves.
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had to get a weight waiver to join the Marine Corps. I was 5'7 and 117 pounds. I also played multiple sports and was in great shape. Fast forward 20 years and according to those "charts" I am extremely obese. I run half marathons at least once a year and run a couple times a week the rest of the time. I still play a game of pick up soccer from time to time. I'm a cop and have never had a health related issue. I'm trying to lose a few pounds to work off the beer belly I'm getting in my older age and because my present assignment is more sedentary and I was eating a lot of fast food. There is no way I could get my body down to 125-150 and be healthy. Hell I was 172 when I left the Marine Corps with an 8% body fat. Apparently I was overweight then. Those charts don't tell the whole story.

To the OP get your run time right but don't do much more cardio then that. Lots of strength work. That will put some pounds on. Good luck!
  • monroedan24
    monroedan24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree 93lbs is very unhealthy for your height . I would more so worry about putting on weight for your health than I would the army. They would just give you a waiver anyway
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,541 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tgardi wrote: »
    There is no way I could get my body down to 125-150 and be healthy. Hell I was 172 when I left the Marine Corps with an 8% body fat. Apparently I was overweight then. Those charts don't tell the whole story.

To the OP get your run time right but don't do much more cardio then that. Lots of strength work. That will put some pounds on. Good luck!

Okay, so if OP is significantly UNDER the suggested weight for her height, shouldn't that be a cause for concern? And strength work will do nothing for putting "pounds on" if she's not eating to gain...
  • tgardi
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Just because she is under her suggested weight does not mean she was unhealthy. Like I said I weighed 117 but I was anything from unhealthy. I was an all state soccer player, played baseball and ran track. I do agree she has to eat to gain but trust me. The military is going to pack pounds on her. Below are pictures of me. One my senior pic and the other my boot camp pic. Hell yeah I was skinny but not unhealthy. In the reverse, that chart telling my I'm "extremely obese" is a crock.

8jict4851xsh.jpg
    n26iggm6hygi.jpg
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did somebody tell you you 'had' to gain weight?
  • tgardi
    Options
    She probably needs to get to the minimum weight for joining. There are weight waivers but you have to be close. Her minimum is 107.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    At 18, M and 117lb you were at a bmi of 18, which is just under the healthy range, the OP was far deeper into the unhealthy range, pretty much off the scale.
    Yes everybody is different, and I still stick by my guns that this OP has something to look at first health wise before she does anything as drastic as army training.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Her profile says shes 22, no pic...I dunno about this one. If any future recruit wants to join the army all they need to do is go see a recruiter, and they will give them a training program so they can meet the requirements. You don't go one day to sign up and is shipped off the very next day. It'll be months before you get to leave for basic training.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh Def understand! My thought would be to ask the recruiter exactly what's needed for the waiver. My husband used to coach his USMC recruits at the gym to gain/lose all the time to enlist them.