Nursing mommys

Options
I had my second child three weeks ago. I am anxious to come back and keep track of my daily routines. Does any one know the recommended amount that a nursing mom should take in?
Prior to having her I was at a strict 1200
Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I believe it's 500 cal extra per day - someone else posted about it recently. But it depends on how much you're feeding. I breastfed both mine to 18 months but after 6 months it was less as they were eating and after a year it was only a morning or bedtime feed.

Give it another 3 weeks until you get on it though. I'm sure others will disagree but that's the recovery time I'd give myself before tracking.

Good for you doing it the right way though. And doing it for free! MFP should have a nursing option. One friend of mine wouldn't join as she wants to do weight watchers as they have a breastfeeding option. She should save her pennies and get on here!!
  • bwattelet
    bwattelet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    That's what I was reading online. My doc said don't calorie count :/. Eat when your hungry. Suggested 1800 up to 2000 a day!!
  • JenileeFinley
    JenileeFinley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am adding 400 a day for breastfeeding my 8 week old. I think we can allow up to 500 but I am trying to be conservative in my estimate. I need to lose 11 lbs gained from my 2nd pregnancy. It is difficult because I put on a little more weight with my second and don't have as much time to exercise as I did with my first. Walking and doing yoga when I can.
  • kflower84
    kflower84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello girls. Anyone knows of a protein shake compatible with breastfeeding. I'm desperate to start loosing weight again. thanks.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I recommend kellymom for all kinds of research based breastfeeding info. Here's their weigh loss article.

Congrats on the new little one and good luck. :)
  • BananasananaB
    BananasananaB Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hope you plan on eating more than 1800-2000 calories a day while nursing. 2000 calories is extremely low for a nursing mother.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I hope you plan on eating more than 1800-2000 calories a day while nursing. 2000 calories is extremely low for a nursing mother.

That really depends on mom's height and weight and how much/often she's nursing. I'm 5'4" 175lbs nursing about 3 times a day (my nursling is 2 and nurses morning, nap, and bedtime) and I'm losing about half a pound a week eating 1590cal a day. When my little was new and exclusively breastfed I wasn't counting, but probably ate around 2000-2200 and was slowly putting on weight. There are so many variables, but in general the more often mom nurses the more calories she'll need since lactation is supply and demand. The more milk you make the more calories you burn making milk.
  • Jessica_RD
    Jessica_RD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kflower84 wrote: »
    Hello girls. Anyone knows of a protein shake compatible with breastfeeding. I'm desperate to start loosing weight again. thanks.
    Progenex, but its expensive $70/bag.

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    I recommend kellymom for all kinds of research based breastfeeding info. Here's their weigh loss article.

Congrats on the new little one and good luck. :)

This! I found kellymom very helpful while breastfeeding! Such a gift to be able to bf your little one, enjoy this special time :)
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My baby is 7 weeks old, I started officially counting again last week. I'm currently adding 500 calories for breastfeeding which puts me at about 2100 calories and I'm slowly gaining weight. So if this continues to next week I will lower by only 50-100 calories at a time. Lowering too quickly can affect the milk supply. I also started P90x3 this week and new exercise always seems to up my weight for s week or two. So I'm being patient with the calorie adjustment. I also have about 10lbs to lose yet.