Help me eat please?

Options
Okay this may sound silly but I am REALLY struggling with meeting my calorie goal. I am routinely eating under 1,000 calories and I know this is not good...especially since I am breastfeeding (16 months old) and I lead a VERY active lifestyle with 3 kids (we do not have a car currently so we walk everywhere, I either wear the baby (25lbs) or push the stroller. It is not uncommon for me to walk 3+ miles in one day if we go to the park, library, etc).

My 'empty calories' are my coffee with flavored creamer for breakfast (I cannot do low fat, I don't tolerate artificial sweetener it gives me a splitting headache and tummy issues).

Then I will either have a bowl of Special K or sometimes oatmeal or whole wheat toast

I'll generally have a 'mid morning snack' usually yogurt..but never the whole carton, I have to share LOL Mama's yogurt ALWAYS tastes better than the cup sitting right in front of them.

Lunch really varies. Sometimes it's a turkey sandwich, sometimes a chicken breast thrown on the George Forman, sometimes it's a chicken wrap (grilled chicken, whole wheat wrap tort, romaine lettuce, shredded cheese (just a touch), cut up grape tomatoes, maybe some onions if I'm feeling it)

I'll have an afternoon snack with the kids (fruit, veggies)

Then supper (super varied but generally all 4 food groups)

And then before bed I might have some air pop popcorn or cheese or something.

I don't know, I'm doing my best to figure the recipes out because I cook from scratch so perhaps I'm doing that all wrong and I'm actually hitting my calorie goal?

Thoughts?

Oh, I'm not starving my kids, they eat all day long LOL we have fruit and veggies always out there plus they have cheese, yogurt, crackers, etc that they eat all the time. And I drink between 60 and 90 oz a day (depends on how hot it is outside)

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound bad, really, you could probably stand to get some more protein at breakfast.
  • horizonsp
    horizonsp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can add some nuts like almonds, walnuts..
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter & banana sandwich on whole wheat (or tortilla). I even add 2Tbsp of flax seed to mine (for fiber content, but 2T packs in 93 calories due to omega-3 fats and protein). Check my food diary - it's a 400 calorie ordeal. I use it as my post-work-out because the low GI and hi carb/protein content help keep my blood sugar up during the night (type 1 diabetes here).
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Toss in some protein shakes!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing pretty good, you know you can use the "Try Our Recipe Calculator" under the "Recipe" section. It will figure out all of the stats on your recipe as long as you enter the ingredients and portions.

As others have said, protein shakes.

Good luck!
  • costewar
    costewar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a good job with spacing meals, eating all food groups (grains, fruits, vegs, dairy, meat & beans), and setting a good example for your children! So congrats to you on these accomplishments.

If you're looking to increase your consumption (which I would suggest if you're breastfeeding, walk a lot, AND are under 1000 calories/day), there are a few options:
    1) Simply increase your portions just a tad (maybe instead of 1 serving, have 1.5 servings on one or two of your snacks or meals for the day)
    2) I would look into higher calorie, high nutrient foods. A little can go a long way. As a few have already suggested, nuts are healthy fats and good sources of protein. Beans are a little higher in calories, good sources of protein and fiber. Other vegetables that are on the higher end include potatoes and avocados. Fatty fish, such as salmon, is a good source of healthy fats, and are healthy for the baby's brain development (provided through breast milk).
    3) Don't be afraid to indulge every once and a while, whether it be once a week, once every two weeks, or once a month. Treat yourself to some low-fat or fat-free frozen yogurt with some fruit on top. Dark chocolate. Chocolate covered strawberries. Berry angel food cake trifle. That's just dessert! Indulge in appetizers, meals, and snacks as well!
    3) If you are questioning your recipe nutrition calculation procedures, the My Recipes tool is very helpful and easy to use.

I'd be glad to help if you have any additional questions! Happy (healthy) eating!