TDEE or eating back calories?

Options
Hi all!

I was wondering which method you all use in terms of calories and diet - following your average TDEE calories or eating back calories?

I've recently purchased a polar heart rate monitor to track the accurate calories burned during my exercise sessions and am surprised (but happy!) that I'm actually burning a lot more than I thought (500-600 per session).

My BMR is 1500 and TDEE (with mod activity level) is 1850 and I used to aim for 1500 calories on none training days and around 1800 on training days. I've now started eating back calories burned and aiming for 1500 net calories per day - does anyone else do this method and if so is it better than just averaging out with the TDEE instead of eating back?

I must admit I'm a little scared of putting weight on judging with how much food I'm eating to hit the 1500 net calories!

Also, and this might sound like a very silly question but I thought I'd throw it out there; how accurate is the BMR figure? I used scoobys calculator which I've heard is the most reliable but my query is I'm very heavy for my height and build - 11.3 stone and 5'6, which I believe is why I have a high BMR and BMI (I'm apparently obese).. But I'm a size 10 and have a healthy body fat percentage. Do I really need 1500-1800 calories a day?

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE - trying to hit a moving target just doesn't work at all for me. And I can't find an accurate way to calculate what I'm actually burning anyway. HRMs are only good for very limited activities and everything else is pretty much a total guess. Finally - I just don't burn many calories - I've used an HRM and the amount of calories I've earned is so very low its not even worth it for me to track anyway.

Really though it just depends on what works best for you. There's pros and cons to each method.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I find that using the TDEE method is easier to stick to. That way, you don't have to account for how many calories you lost during exercise for that day. It allows you to eat what you want as long as you are within your calories, and you're always aiming for the same total per day. Easy!
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you using your HRM for? AFAIK it's only meant to use for stady-state cardio exercises like running, not for HIIT, strenght, interval, walking etc, or the estimated calorie burn will most likely be off.
    If you still lose weight eating back all the calories it tells you you're burning, then that's fine, otherwise eating back only 50-75% might be a good idea!

EDIT: And to reply to the question - I use the senedary option and eat back ~50% of my exercise calories. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are fairly accurate, then either method should come out about the same. I prefer the TDEE method because I like having the same calorie goal every day. I still track workouts with a HRM, and I make a note of the burn, but log it as 0 cals burned so my cal and macro goals don't change at MFP. On less active days I may eat less, or on a day where I've burned more than my usual amount I'll eat more. And when I've got a special event such as a birthday, wedding or holiday, I know I can eat all the way to maintenance and I won't gain.

That's what I like about TDEE. For others, eating back cals works best - figure out which is easiest for you to figure and stick to. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE but that's because I lift and my exercise is very consistent.

I adjust from season to season as I know it changes based on my exercise ie cardio in the summer increases my TDEE to about 2400 where as in the winter it's 2k
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    TDEE is good only if your exercise is consistent.

I use MFP's NEAT because my health is variable and my exercise isn't consistent.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty consistent in my exercise so I use TDEE. Keep in mind that if done correctly, and when comparing apples to apples rate of loss goals, the two methods are basically 6 of 1, half dozen of the other...the only difference is where you account for exercise...otherwise you should arrive at pretty much the same place...your total calorie intake with either method should be fairly close.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am still using NEAT but I am keeping good records to prepare to switch to TDEE for the final push to goal and transition into maintenance. I am very consistent in my exercise so leveling it out so I eat a similar number of calories makes sense.

Right now I feel like Goldilocks: workout days I have too many calories to eat, rest days I have too few, walking only days are just right.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just switched to TDEE. This method will be much easier for me because I exercise 6 to 7 days a week and don't need to lose any weight.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Personally, I refuse to eat less on days I don't work out. Screw that noise. In fact, one of my rest days is also my refeed day when I eat to maintenance, so I'm actually eating more on a day that I'm relatively inactive.

I'd rather eat the same amount on a daily basis with no guess work. Let's say I'm planning a workout at night, so I "eat back" the calories I plan to burn throughout the day. Then something comes up and I can't exercise that night. So, of course, I end up feeling guilty for eating back calories I ended up not even burning and I feel like I have to make up for it the next day by eating less or exercising more.

No, that sounds awful. My workouts are consistent, so there's no need to eat more or less on certain days based on activity level. TDEE all the way.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's eat back exercise calories method as my day's & week's burns vary enormously. I also need to fuel my long cycle rides on the day.
  • arober11
    arober11 Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Out of curiosity which of the 6 or so TDEE formula are you using (If you wern't aware of the variety, the following app may be of interest ). Also which app(s) are you using to capture your sessions? I ask as they (Runtastic, Adidas miCoach, MapMyFitness, Polar Beat, Endomondo, Fitbit......) all have different VO2max formula (estimation of the Oxygen => Calories consumed), which leads to wildly varying estimates of calories burnt in a given session. For example a 3K walk with the same HRM paired to Runtastic, Endomondo, and MapMyWalk produced the following calorie estimates for the same circuit:

o762wzim5wmq.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use Scooby. I didn't like the idea of eating so little on rest days, and I walk a lot and it's annoying to figure out the calorie burned for that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was wondering which method you all use in terms of calories and diet - following your average TDEE calories or eating back calories?

They amount to the same thing, and MFP can be easily used for either approach. Just use whichever makes your life easier.

:drinker:

• earlnabby
    edited April 2015
    Options
    arober11 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity which of the 6 or so TDEE formula are you using (If you wern't aware of the variety, the following app may be of interest ). Also which app(s) are you using to capture your sessions? I ask as they (Runtastic, Adidas miCoach, MapMyFitness, Polar Beat, Endomondo, Fitbit......) all have different VO2max formula (estimation of the Oxygen => Calories consumed), which leads to wildly varying estimates of calories burnt in a given session. For example a 3K walk with the same HRM paired to Runtastic, Endomondo, and MapMyWalk produced the following calorie estimates for the same 3K circuit:

I am calculating it according to my actual numbers. I started April 1 and am being as perfect as possible in my logging. At the end of the month, I will add up all calories eaten, add in 3500 calories for each pound lost, and divide by 30 to get my TDEE. I will then subtract 600-700 calories to get my deficit target. Based on the first half of the month, it should end up around 2800 TDEE so I will eat around 2100-2200 calories. I calculated according to Scooby and got an estimated TDEE of 2761. Fitbit is giving me a TDEE of 2623. I trust my numbers more.

ETA: I use Map My Fitness and Fitbit, plus log my swimming and water aerobics separately.

• arober11
    arober11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @earinabby - Ok, that's one way to reduce the error. Only downside is the month of data required to come up with your TMEE, from a food diary (+/- 10% from the numbers in the Food Database ) + weight change data (+/- 2% scales / hydration). Out of curiosity once you have a TDEE number would you consider indicating if the Scooby or Fitbit guestimate was closest? I ask as I've managed to get a 700-800 Kcal difference in my TDEE, depending on whose maths I use.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am calculating it according to my actual numbers. I started April 1 and am being as perfect as possible in my logging. At the end of the month, I will add up all calories eaten, add in 3500 calories for each pound lost, and divide by 30 to get my TDEE. I will then subtract 600-700 calories to get my deficit target. Based on the first half of the month, it should end up around 2800 TDEE so I will eat around 2100-2200 calories. I calculated according to Scooby and got an estimated TDEE of 2761. Fitbit is giving me a TDEE of 2623. I trust my numbers more.

This is incredibly simple (I love it).
  • earlnabby
    Options
    @earinabby - Ok, that's one way to reduce the error. Only downside is the month of data required to come up with your TMEE, from a food diary (+/- 10% from the numbers in the Food Database ) + weight change data (+/- 2% scales / hydration). Out of curiosity once you have a TDEE number would you consider indicating if the Scooby or Fitbit guestimate was closest? I ask as I've managed to get a 700-800 Kcal difference in my TDEE, depending on whose maths I use.

Right now, Scooby is closest to my 15 day numbers.

• earlnabby
    edited April 2015
    Options

Nothing is going to be perfect. When I decide to switch, I am sure I will need to adjust up or down some in "real world" use, plus down as I lose more weight. Playing around with Scooby's calculator, their numbers indicate a reduction of about 75 calories for each 10 lb lost. I was thinking of dropping by about 100.

• insaneteabag
    insaneteabag Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Allelito wrote: »
    What kind of exercise are you using your HRM for? AFAIK it's only meant to use for stady-state cardio exercises like running, not for HIIT, strenght, interval, walking etc, or the estimated calorie burn will most likely be off.
    If you still lose weight eating back all the calories it tells you you're burning, then that's fine, otherwise eating back only 50-75% might be a good idea!

EDIT: And to reply to the question - I use the senedary option and eat back ~50% of my exercise calories. :)

I use my HRM for everything! I didn't know it wasn't designed for HITT.. Oops! But when I'm logging and eating back the calories I always round down and generally don't manage to eat all the calories back - usually there's a few hundred left. Seems a bit pointless really doesn't it!