Balanced Definition

Options
SyzygyX
SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
So, I adjunct on and off, and I've noticed that due to my being right handed (and very right-side dominant in general), my right shoulder (I guess in the traps/delts area, I'm not an anatomy person) is much more defined than my left, thanks to writing on the board all day. It's not a hugely dramatic difference, but it's certainly noticeable. (I would always try to write with the right and erase with the left to balance, but erasing is a lot less of a sustained activity, so that didn't work. :tongue:

In general when using weights, I do all reps evenly for each side--should I be doing more with my left side? More reps, same weight? More weight? Again, it's a slight difference that likely only I notice, but the right shoulder is clearly more defined. I'd like to feel like my left shoulder was closer matched to my right.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I play tennis and I have just come to realize I can never be balanced. I do try to work out equally though.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I play tennis and I have just come to realize I can never be balanced. I do try to work out equally though.

Yeah, I'm afraid it might be something I can never balance out, haha. Thanks!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can. Don't press uneven weights - keep weights and training as even as you can- make the short side work hard to catch up. But cater to it (so if you can shoulder press 25 with the right- and only 5 with the left- do the 5's- and work up- don't just do the 25's)

No one will ever be perfectly symmetrical- it's just not a reality- but you can do the best you can.

And keep in mind- you can't spot reduce- you can certainly spot train- so don't be afraid to do MORE work in a certain area to try to build it up (shoulders generally respond well to training like that actually)